Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Question about the default calories for unsweetened tea >

Question about the default calories for unsweetened tea

Notices

Question about the default calories for unsweetened tea

Old 04-05-2011, 12:10 PM
FitDay Member

Default Question about the default calories for unsweetened tea

I was wondering why the default on the site for unsweetened tea is 3 calories? Every box of tea bags I've ever seen always says 0 calories. Does hot vs. iced make a difference calorie-wise?

I'm just a bit perturbed because I've been using tea as my juice/soda substitute, and can rack up to 7 or 8 from my 16 oz. mug.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:45 PM
FitDay Member

Federal law allows foods with fewer than 5 calories per serving to be labeled as containing 0 calories. There is tons of information available online. Some of the regulations are really interesting, especially for locally produced/distributed foods. Check out Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (Federal regulations for food and drug labels). Also, Guidance, Compliance & Regulatory Information (US FDA compliance).

At risk of sounding too relaxed, I'd suggest not worrying about how many calories something like unsweetened tea contains. Your concern about "racking up" 7 calories reminds me of the disordered eating habits I developed by over-monitoring my calorie intake several years ago. Check out wannabefitgirl's thread (I'll try to link it here http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...lifestyle.html) for other perspectives on this subject.

Also, when it comes to foods that come pre-labeled (particularly for foods with more calories/nutrition info than tea), I'd recommend using the nutrition information off the box, not FitDay's information. To do this, you must create a custom food and copy the information from the box into FitDay.