Notices

Greek Yogurt--rather nasty tasting--help!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM
FitDay Member

Like many others already said, it's definitely an acquired taste, and I still can't handle it alone or even with added fruit. I will add it to smoothies in place of protein powder, but mostly, I use it in place of sour cream.

I buy the 0% Fage, and I put it on baked potatoes, tacos, etc. I also make veggie dip out of it, and it's so good! I ate it the other night at a BBQ while everyone else was eating nacho cheese and chips. Everyone that tried my dip couldn't believe it had no fat and so much protein. I made converts of a few people that night! I make a fish marinade using the yogurt, dill weed and cajun seasoning. My favorite is to make quesadillas using low fat cheese, low calorie/carb tortillas, salsa and Fage. It feels like such a splurge, and it's so yummy!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

I've tried to like it, but I've given up LOL but to be fair, I never really loved even the 'dessert' type of sweet yogurts either (i felt like it was pretending to be pudding and fooling me every time LOL)

Now all i use it for is a veg dip, or mix in some fresh chives with it and put it on a baked potato!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by sarkai90
Like many others already said, it's definitely an acquired taste, ...I use it in place of sour cream.

I buy the 0% Fage, and I put it on baked potatoes, tacos, etc. I also make veggie dip out of it, and it's so good! I ate it the other night at a BBQ while everyone else was eating nacho cheese and chips. Everyone that tried my dip couldn't believe it had no fat and so much protein. I made converts of a few people that night! I make a fish marinade using the yogurt, dill weed and cajun seasoning. My favorite is to make quesadillas using low fat cheese, low calorie/carb tortillas, salsa and Fage. It feels like such a splurge, and it's so yummy!

Sarah, great suggestions! Using greek yogurt as a savory condiment rather than a sweet seems to be the prevaling opinion. I will mention that if you whip it up with just a little vanilla extract and just a bit of super fine sugar it makes a great, low cal, substitute for whipped cream.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:16 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by RunbikeSki
I will mention that if you whip it up with just a little vanilla extract and just a bit of super fine sugar it makes a great, low cal, substitute for whipped cream.
Ooohhh, thanks... I'll have to try that! I could use it to top my homemade frappuccinos (had to look up how to spell that ) and smoothies. My main diet struggle is getting enough protein... I add it wherever I can!