Notices

Greek Yogurt--rather nasty tasting--help!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:25 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Today I put the stuff in the blender with a large banana--it's not TOO bad--the sweetness of the ripe banana cuts the funk enough to eat it. In the future I think I'll take the advice to just find a flavored version I like. BTW, this is Yoplait brand that I have, if that makes any difference.

Regards,
Michael
Old 04-01-2011, 03:46 AM
FitDay Member

I too prefer Fage. Sinec you tried the yoplat brand, try one of the better ones and I think you will notice a diffence in taste.

I can usually eat it plain or will add stevia and cinnamon if I want more of "treat". I have even been know to add 1/4 scoop of my favorate protein powder as a post work-out boost.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:55 AM
FitDay Member

Default greek yogurt

I dilute it with water so it is more of the "other" fruity yogurt consistency and I add protein powder-- since I don't eat meat. That makes it great-- I switched about 6 months ago after not wanting the splenda and greek is less calories, carbs and higher protein.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 PM
FitDay Member

When I first started eating greek yogurt I added honey or maple syrup and berries to sweeten it up.

Now I add frozen berries and some protein powder and mix it up. I find the protein powder has a bit of sweetness to it. You have to really stir to get the powder to mix.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:00 AM
FitDay Member

I also love protein powder in mine. My fav is mixing chocolate protein powder (and if my diet that day allows it, a tablespoon of creamy peanut butter). I eat it with apple slices but it would probably be just as good with bananas or strawberries. I find it's a thick, creamy snack with a little chocolatley/peanut buttery flavor. It's sooo good.

But on a regular day, just a little cinnamon and apple slices is my usual. I've gotten to like it so much that I don't even have to mix anything in it...I find the apple is sweet enough and I like the tangy contrast of the yogurt.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

Default Stevia

Stevia isn't like sucralose or aspartame. Perhaps that will help sweeten the yogurt.

Believe me, I understand about it. It's very heavy for me, and I avoid most yogurt as it is because I just don't enjoy it unless it has a ton of sugar and flavors to it. Not helpful for my diet at the moment.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

I grew up with 'greek' yogurt, but always thought of it as a salty/sour thing. It's only now I'm reluctantly including kind-of-sweet yogurt in my diet, for protein shakes (and it's still a bit weird to me).

My family always used it to add a creamy flavour to soups, or as a side for things like pierogies and cheese pies (that's not helpful, I know) or stuffed peppers. Like sour cream, as mentioned above.

In summer, we'd have a cold cucumber yogurt soup. Here's the recipe we used (could leave out the oil, but it binds the flavours nicely):

- a medium sized tub of that yogurt
- 2 - 3 peeled & diced cucumbers (you can take out the seeds if you like)
- fresh, chopped dill (I like a lot of it, like a handful; you can use half of that)
- 2 cloves very finely diced garlic (can have a bit less, or more)
- a teaspoon of oil
- salt to taste
- bit of water to thin the yogurt, and make it soup-like

Optional:

- crushed walnuts (traditionally, for texture and flavour, but it adds protein and good fats)

This should sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes so it all sets. It's even nicer the next day (if you like these flavours, that is!). If more is made than required for that day, suggest using less garlic - it sets in really tightly.

A complete meal with this soup would usually include some kind of barbecued meat, and a salad.

(Basically, this tastes like tzatziki, I guess. It's called tarator.)

Ah, just saw that Abby had added this kind of thing in!

Last edited by pinenutcasserole; 04-28-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

I second adding garlic and chopped cucumber to Greek yogurt, with some salt and pepper to taste. To make it absolutely delicious, add a little olive oil. The liquid from the cucumbers thins the yogurt a little bit. The cucumbers are crunchy. Garlicky as you want it to be.

I'm a Greek yogurt fan; all the other yogurts just taste like sweet milk. Or sweet low-fat milk. Or sweet milk with a bit of chopped fruit.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:35 AM
FitDay Member

I've been eating Oikoks greek yogurt--either the honey or the blueberry. Mind you, the fruit or honey is on the bottom, so it's like Breyer's yogurt but imo, it's pretty good.

A 4 oz cup has 90 cals, no fat, 13 g carbs, 10 g protein, 13 g sugar (for the honey one)...
Old 04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
FitDay Member

Michael,
Yoplait has horrible greek yogurt, I believe it's actually "greek style." Same with Cabot, "greek style yogurt," it tastes horrendous. I'd say get the Fage, Chobani, or Trader Joe's. I've never tried Oikos but I hear it's good.

Give it a try with a different brand--it will taste much better. I have a big thing of Cabot low fat greek yogurt that I add TONS of cinnamon to so that I can choke it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.