Notices

Caffeine & Cortisol

Old 03-27-2011, 11:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default Caffeine & Cortisol

I've been reading a lot about how caffeine increases cortisol, which contributes to belly fat. I drink coffee (black) every morning along with a sugar free Red Bull. Cutting it out as of tomorrow to see if it makes a difference! Who has cut out caffeine, and did it help with your belly fat?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:21 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by loseitalllaura
I've been reading a lot about how caffeine increases cortisol, which contributes to belly fat. I drink coffee (black) every morning along with a sugar free Red Bull. Cutting it out as of tomorrow to see if it makes a difference! Who has cut out caffeine, and did it help with your belly fat?
I have cut caffeine several times and now I am planning to cut it again tomorrow.
Yes, caffeine can rise both cortisol and insulin hormone the latter triggers fat storing process.
Caffeine rises appetite and pushes you to eat too much this is because of its hormonal effect on your pancreas glands.
I cannot give you a personal testimony, because I was drinking beer when I was stopping caffeine intake.
However I think that caffeine effect on your weight is closely related to your overall body reaction to caffeine consumption.
In other words, If you feel some side effects after ingestion of coffee, such insomnia, carving for food or jitter then chances that caffeine can lead you to store fat are high.
Caffeine is present in tea, coffee, chocolate, and soda.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 PM
FitDay Member

If you want me to give up my caffeine your best bet is to wait and pry it out of my cold dead fingers.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

IMHO there's no reason for a black coffee AND a Red Bull. I'd say stick with the coffee but ditch the Red Bull. Coffee does have some positive effects on metabolism due to its high antioxidant content and plant polyphenols, has some liver-supporting benefits, and aids in fat burning. For me, it also functions as an appetite suppressant. Energy drinks don't have this effect on me, which is why I prefer coffee.

But again, too much is still bad because of cortisol-raising effects as well as blunting of adrenaline-receptors (which causes some of the withdrawal symptoms).
Old 03-29-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Default But!!!!

Drinking caffeinated coffee REDUCES the risk of stroke by 25 percent. I drink coffee daily and am losing weight. There's no fat or sugar in my coffee. Dr. Oz show recently did this topic.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:11 AM
FitDay Member

I can't handle caffeine myself anymore but in the past I always found it to be an appetite suppressant. I know some very thin people who drink coffee all day for that reason (not that I recommend that.) Aren't there a bunch of diet pills that are basically caffeine based? (not that I recommend those either.)

Coffee also has diuretic effects. Red Bull I would stay away from. And coffee and Red Bull? Danger Will Robinson. IMHO.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:49 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I love (good) coffee. I do more-or-less keep it down to two large cups in the morning on week days (perhaps more on weekends). I do only drink it black. I don't think it's hurt my weight loss any, but who knows? In any event, that is one thing I'm not even contemplating giving up.

Regards,
Michael

PS I tried a can of Diet Red Bull years ago--one of the nastier tasting things I've ever tried. Yuch!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 AM
FitDay Member

you can find studies out there that support both sides. i follow the advice of a well respected dr. from my home town & he has studied caffeine & there are health benefits to drinking coffee. so do your own research & make the choice that is right for you.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by loseitalllaura
Caffiene does increase cortisol, but it depends on how much you're drinking of it. Cortisol does a lot of wonky things to your body (it's a stress hormone). IMHO, a lot of physiological research has shown that caffeine provides a short boost in metabolism immediately after drinking it, and then has a longer term slight downturn in metabolism and the possibility of "making abdominal fat" (what it really does is trigger fat storage in the abdomen and/or cause belly fat retention, so you'll lose belly fat more slowly. Probably MUCH of that depends on diet, though). So it's fine to drink, say, a cup in the morning to wake yourself up (or even better, have a cup before you work out), but if you're constantly drinking a lot of coffee, it might cause more serious cortisol spikes.

Further, caffeine enhances the natural cortisol spikes you experience during stressful times, so drinking/eating things with caffeine at a measureable physiological level will provide an additive effect. So if you're super-stressed, maybe pass on the coffee

Everything in moderation -- coffee in particular has lots of good things about it, including anti-oxidative properties. I personally don't think there's anything wrong with a cup of joe in the morning, but don't go crazy on caffeine (or caffeine spikes) throughout the day. And I'd leave the Red Bull on the shelf, but that's just me!
Old 03-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by staceyalberta
you can find studies out there that support both sides. i follow the advice of a well respected dr. from my home town & he has studied caffeine & there are health benefits to drinking coffee. so do your own research & make the choice that is right for you.
Sums it up perfectly, Stacey. For caffeine and just about everything else!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.