Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
How many calories would be stored if a 130 lbs person consumed 6,000 cal in  one day? >

How many calories would be stored if a 130 lbs person consumed 6,000 cal in one day?

Community
Notices

How many calories would be stored if a 130 lbs person consumed 6,000 cal in one day?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
FitDay Member

Default Hi

This reminds me of geometry story problems. It is kind of funny. I see people in the gym on Monday morning furiously working out because of their sins from the weekend.

I certainly can see eating six thousand calories, when you consider one cupcake has seven hundred calories. It's all about the wrong foods that are calorie, carb and fat dense.

The foods that make us fat will not make us thin. I truly believe this. I personally cannot do a six thousand calorie day once a month. It would make me sick now, and it's no longer the food my body wants and needs.

Think about the health of this, not just whether a binge will show up and hurt weightloss or not. High blood sugar, high blood pressure, plaque in our arteries, high cholesterol are issues that come with obesity. Eating this isn't changing our habits, and I don't think we need to figure out how to beat the odds about whether it will make us gain or not.

I'm a compulsive overeater and I know many here are as well. Binging got us where we are, and that's what we're talking about. A binge. Is it ok? No.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 AM
FitDay Member

It is really quite simple. The problem is that you cannot look at this from a calories point of view. Here is why:

The body does not convert calories, which are units of heat used to model the energy output of food, into body fat. The body stores fat and amino acids/protein only. The amino acid contribution to the energy equation is negligible compared to fat, and usually desirable, so we can ignore that. So, the amount of fat you would store on your body during any given period would have an upper limit of the amount of fat you ate during the same period, irrespective of calories. In other words, if you ate eleventy million calories in only sugar, you, amazingly, would not get fatter.

The actual amount of fat stored would then be the difference between how much fat you burned during the day and the amount of fat you ate. The amount of fat one burns depends on a number of factors, but the deciding factors are:
  • Degree of ketoadaption: This refers the fat burning pathways which are usually stunted in those on higher carb diets.
  • Activity level, especially time not spent anaerobically.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by MarneeDear
It is really quite simple. The problem is that you cannot look at this from a calories point of view. Here is why:

The body does not convert calories, which are units of heat used to model the energy output of food, into body fat. The body stores fat and amino acids/protein only. The amino acid contribution to the energy equation is negligible compared to fat, and usually desirable, so we can ignore that. So, the amount of fat you would store on your body during any given period would have an upper limit of the amount of fat you ate during the same period, irrespective of calories. In other words, if you ate eleventy million calories in only sugar, you, amazingly, would not get fatter.

The actual amount of fat stored would then be the difference between how much fat you burned during the day and the amount of fat you ate. The amount of fat one burns depends on a number of factors, but the deciding factors are:
  • Degree of ketoadaption: This refers the fat burning pathways which are usually stunted in those on higher carb diets.
  • Activity level, especially time not spent anaerobically.
That is amazing, mainly amazingly untrue . Carbs are stored as glycogen, in your liver and muscles. If they are not used immediately for energy they go there next - if there is storage capacity - and usually there is in the liver.The liver preferentially stores glycogen derived from fructose - which is half of whatever sugar you injest. These stored carbs turn out to add quite a bit of weight - non-fat body weight - because carbo-HYDRATES hold a lot of water as well.

Not all the carbs that aren't stored this way will be turned into body fat though, but some will be. Obviously fiber will not be turned into visceral fat - soluble fiber is digested through fermentation into short-chain fatty acids that are used throughout the body. They do not enter the lymph for delivery to the lypocytes. The generally accepted caloric value of soluble fiber is around that of most sugar alcohols - 2ish cals per gram. But some of the carbs you eat, especially if your glycogen stores are full, will be turned into fat. No doubt.

It's hard to predict how much, because of all the reasons mentioned above. But nothing prevents this - unfortunately!

It's an interesting subject, and I don't know everything about it or what goes on, but I do know this much.

The other side of the coin is that if you're eating at a deficit, even eating lard probably won't increase your fat stores.
So in some ways, you can enjoy yourself while dieting even more (depending on your plan) and not worry as much about fat intake per se.

Last edited by FutureizNow; 05-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
FitDay Member

All I know is that recently I went way overboard on my calories...cheeseburger/fries/mayo/wine/cake..woke up the next day with a 2 lb gain. Well, did the same thing again(a week or so later) and no weight gained showed, I was like hallelujah UNTIL the next day when a 2.5 gained showed. Bad, cheesburgers, bad!