healthy desserts? >

healthy desserts?

Community
Notices

healthy desserts?

Old 03-18-2011, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Default healthy desserts?

In my quest to get better in shape and loose weight for my mission trip in August. I have found it is nearly if not next to impossible to have a social life and be healthy. A lot of the times I find myself in a sticky situation, is when I am going to a friends for dinner, or situations like tonight. There is a ladies night out at church. Which is normally filled to the brim, and more candy, cookies, cakes, pies, and desserts that could choke a horse. Or give a horse a heart attack. But, where there is a will, there is a way! And my need and desire to fellowship, and be built up spiritually, and not dive on nutrition. I have come up with a plan that has been working so well lately! I ordered a book of healthy cost effiecent recipes. (which was a steal, because it was in bargains because there was a crease on the cover!)

This is my favorite dessert recipe that I can smell cooking in the oven as we speak. (so of course I just make sure I take a portion within reason of my own dessert I bring, and now what I am eating, and not kill my goal in the proccess!)

Berry Cobbler (will put nutrition info at bottom)

Filling-
- 4 cups fresh or frozen berries (I have been using the frozen mixed berries with no added sugar)
-1/2 C brown sugar
-2 T whole wheat flour
-1/2 lemon juice
-1 T water

Crust-
-3 T cold butter
-1 Cup whole wheat flour
-3/4 C brown sugar
-1 1/2 t baking powder
-1/2 t salt
-2/3 C low fat milk (I was out of milk the first time I made it, and just used water. You couldn't tell, and it got RAVING reviews!)

-Directions-
In a small saucepan, combine the berries, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, and water. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once a thick sauce forms, remove from heat, and pour into a greased 2-qt baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, make the crust by cutting the butter into the flour with a pastry blender until the mixture is fine and crumbly. Add the brown sugar, baking powder, and salt, and mix. Stir in the milk to form a sticky dough. Drop by the spoonfuls onto the berry mixture, covering as much of the berries as possible.

Bake at 400 for 25-30 minutes. Or the crust is a golden brown

Nutrition info per serving (1 1/4 Cup!)
Calories- 189
Fat- 7mg
Cholesterol- 16mg
Carbs- 31g
Fiber- 5g
Protein- 4g
Sodium- 342mg

So much better than just eating all the stuff others bring. Because once you sample a little of this and a little of that. I can never figure it out, and usually blow it. This plan of action seems to work great for me!

Tina
Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Tina you have come up with a terrific plan of action and a super sounding recipe, thank you so much for sharing. I will make this up soon!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:25 AM
FitDay Member

One thing I do is bring something similar to what others bring, put in the table and put a goofy smile on my face. I never eat anything at these event. I'll usually fill a glass with water or club soda and when asked if I've eaten I say, "I'll get to that in a moment."

The worst was meals brought in at work. Gut Bombs! People just got used to me bringing in "health food," what ever that is. (Oh, you eat so healthy. What, you don't? Why not?)
Old 03-21-2011, 02:14 PM
FitDay Premium Member

I normally eat before I go to these things, something like lentils with roasted vegetables or broccoli simmered in chicken stock if I don't feel like roasting anything. I do that if I am out voted and have to go to a pizza place too, then I won't be tempted to over eat and can normally get a nummy salad and concentrate on visiting with my friends. I will drink water/herbal tea.

Meggie
Old 11-03-2012, 05:12 AM

i've got a great recipe for cake w/ frosting that is less than half the calories of standard cake and frosting.

cake:
1 standard yellow cake mix like betty crocker or duncan hines
12 oz any clear diet soda.

Mix the two together (no eggs, oil or anything!) and spread in a pan-sprayed 9x13 pan. Bake according to the box (I think 350 for about 32 minutes if I'm not mistaken).

frosting:
2 C lite whipped cream
1 small box sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix
1 C 1% milk
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix the milk and pudding. Whisk together until it thickens. Add in vanilla and mix it up. Put in the whipped cream and use a blender (I use the whisk attachment on my hand mixer, but I'm sure regular beaters would work too) and mix until well blended and creamy.

The cake will make 12 servings. With the cake and frosting both the nutritional values are: 164.7 calories, 2.15g fat, 1.6g sat fat, .8mg cholesterol, 418mg sodium, 53.4mg potassium, 38g carb, 1.83g protein. Compare that to a regular piece of cake with a couple Tbsp of frosting that comes to well over 400 calories per serving. 2 Tbsp of regular frosting alone has 53g carb! My frosting has just 5g carb and it's fabulous.

This cake passes the kid and guests taste test with flying colors! Give it a try...bet everyone you serve it to loves it! Now, when it's time for a birthday party or something you won't have to say no to a little slice of cake.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for the great recips! Like to try smth new
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 PM
FitDay Member

Exclamation Please

Hey tina, any healthy and sugar free dessert? Thanks
Old 01-11-2022, 12:19 AM
FitDay Member

For eating healthy desserts, you can visit Meat Mechanics that prepare food and desserts by using the best quality ingredients. A healthy dessert makes us healthy also. So eat always hygienic and healthy food.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:40 PM
FitDay Member

Nothing can beat the insatiable pleasure derived from the array of mouthwatering delights.

Yes, there are lots of healthy desserts that change your mood. Today, every Indian restaurant provides one speciality Indian dessert. There are lots of healthy Indian desserts to eat. Visit for healthy desserts.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 04-25-2022 at 03:30 AM. Reason: advert
Old 02-26-2022, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Smile Healthy dessert

South Indian deserts are healthy desserts like jelabi, jangri, dhoodpeda and etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.