FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Egg Whites v Whole Egg (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/3663-egg-whites-v-whole-egg.html)

lmharger 03-11-2011 03:46 AM

Egg Whites v Whole Egg

I'm struggling with using just the egg whites when making an omelette, adding a hard boiled egg to my tuna salad, etc. I understand that the yolk contains a larger protion of the fat and calories, but what do you do with the yolk if you don't use it? I cannot throw the yolk away, but all the ways I know how to use the yolk (raw), normally baking, don't promote healthy eating. Any suggestions?

01gt4.6 03-11-2011 04:06 AM

eat it!

Misery16226 03-11-2011 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6 (Post 39261)
eat it!

:D I agree..
Just eat it.
The fats in yolk are actually quite healthy.
The cholesterol is actually the GOOD cholesterol and will not contribute to bad cholesterol in the blood. In fact it actually helps decrease that "bad" cholesterol.

As for the added fat and calories?
Its about 50 more calories to eat the yolk. and 4-5 grams more fat..
But the yolk has a lot of essential nutrients and vitamins. =
Zinc
Pantothenic acid
B6
B12
Iron
Calcium
Phosphorus

AND MORE are all found over 90% in the yolk.. Less then 10% in the whites.

Here's some that is ONLY in the yolk -

Vitamin A
Vitamin E
Vitamin D
Vitamin K
DHA and AA
Carotenoids

So if you look at this huge list.. I think 50 calories more is worth it? I always eat the whole egg, and since trying to lose weight I'm trying to have 1-2 a day. :) Is one of natures best foods. May even try eating some yolk raw :eek: Since it saves all of the nutrients that way. If you can handle the thought of it *shivers a lil* ... Maybe in a smoothy or something.

noelminneci 03-11-2011 05:25 AM

Well said. I agree, eggs are one of the healthiest foods in nature.

almeeker 03-11-2011 07:04 AM

I generally only eat 1 yoke/meal when I'm cooking eggs and then I toss the rest of them. I'm borderline allergic to egg yokes, so my body can really only digest one or two/day without issue. I also don't eat them every day for the same reason. They might be a perfect food, but alas I'm not a perfect human.

Misery16226 03-11-2011 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 39292)
I generally only eat 1 yoke/meal when I'm cooking eggs and then I toss the rest of them. I'm borderline allergic to egg yokes, so my body can really only digest one or two/day without issue. I also don't eat them every day for the same reason. They might be a perfect food, but alas I'm not a perfect human.

Awe that sucks to have allergies. In that case i totally understand not eating something. I think its great that you can still fit some into your menu though.
:)
I'm intolerant to citric foods. Lemons or anything lemon-like = HORRIBLY SORE THROAT AND TONGUE. Its really weird and hurts like hell to move my tongue. Like a kink in your neck? Just in the tongue!
Also can't drink sodas because of the huge amount of added citric acids. Even strawberries tend to do the same thing.
I haven't gotten a test yet, but I don't think I need the test to know I'm allergic or intolerant.. Sucks because naturally citric foods are usually loaded with vitamins, and flavor. They smell amazing too.
Strangely I can still eat Tomato which has quite a bit of it, but I think it must have some kind of neutralizing acid too.

P.S Did you know that citric acid commonly added to commercial foods is usually made from MOLD and has yeast in it... ? :D gross.

Sorry for going off topic. lol

noelminneci 03-11-2011 08:07 AM

Well of course I don't eat eggs every day, that would be too much of a good thing and not enough variety. I know what you mean, though, as my body can't tolerate very much milk.

Meggietye 03-11-2011 12:22 PM

Yup me too..I have Crohn's disease and can only tolerate .5 cup of milk in 24 hrs.

almeeker 03-11-2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Misery16226 (Post 39300)
Awe that sucks to have allergies. In that case i totally understand not eating something. I think its great that you can still fit some into your menu though.
:)
I'm intolerant to citric foods. Lemons or anything lemon-like = HORRIBLY SORE THROAT AND TONGUE. Its really weird and hurts like hell to move my tongue. Like a kink in your neck? Just in the tongue!
Also can't drink sodas because of the huge amount of added citric acids. Even strawberries tend to do the same thing.
I haven't gotten a test yet, but I don't think I need the test to know I'm allergic or intolerant.. Sucks because naturally citric foods are usually loaded with vitamins, and flavor. They smell amazing too.
Strangely I can still eat Tomato which has quite a bit of it, but I think it must have some kind of neutralizing acid too.

P.S Did you know that citric acid commonly added to commercial foods is usually made from MOLD and has yeast in it... ? :D gross.

Sorry for going off topic. lol

I get that same reaction from lemons, just lemons. Limes, oranges, grapefruit are okay for me, up to a point. I always say that lemons and really hot salsa taste nearly the same to me, like fire. There is invariably a stomach ache that follows the fire sensation. My brother is severely allergic to citric acid, in any form. Sorry for the hyjack. You know you might google "recipes with egg yolks" and see if you can't find a healthy one.