Notices

FitDay Grocery List

Old 02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
FitDay Member

Default FitDay Grocery List

Hey everyone! I thought I would ask your opinion on grocery shopping.

I'm finally getting money to go out to the store, so what do you suggest I buy that is low-calorie but still good tasting and will keep me full?

I like everything but seafood and I've been trying the Special K stuff and I like almost everything on there- but this also needs to last me the whole month.

I also need to incorporate more fruits and veggies.

Any input would be wonderful! I'm thinking of trying pita bread and hummus as well =P
Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
FitDay Member

I feed me and my honey on about $500 a month.
If you are going to buy everything in one go I would suggest buying frozen vegetables for the end of the month because you don't want to throw anything away. You can eat them with chicken and cream cheese in a tortilla and they are so delicious. Or with beef and rice, or chicken and rice. So good and so cheap.
Buy bulk chicken breast are freeze most of them. So you can eat them throughout the month.
Buy frozen fruit too, or buy fruit and then freeze it so you can make smoothies or so you can add them to cereal or yogurt.
Buy lean ground beef and portion it out for the month. and freeze the rest.
I find that buying lettuce that are seperated heads in plastic containers cost more but since they have been rinsed and dried off they don't decompose as fast. I keep it in my fridge and finish it in about 2 weeks and not a single leaf was wasted or wrotten.

What I love to do is just stock up on my proteins and freeze them. And buy vegetables as I need them. When I buy bread or tortillas I make food for the next few days with that so it doesn't go bad and I don't waste! Tacos, fajitas, wraps etc until all the tortillas are gone.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by miverso3
I feed me and my honey on about $500 a month.
If you are going to buy everything in one go I would suggest buying frozen vegetables for the end of the month because you don't want to throw anything away. You can eat them with chicken and cream cheese in a tortilla and they are so delicious. Or with beef and rice, or chicken and rice. So good and so cheap.
Buy bulk chicken breast are freeze most of them. So you can eat them throughout the month.
Buy frozen fruit too, or buy fruit and then freeze it so you can make smoothies or so you can add them to cereal or yogurt.
Buy lean ground beef and portion it out for the month. and freeze the rest.
I find that buying lettuce that are seperated heads in plastic containers cost more but since they have been rinsed and dried off they don't decompose as fast. I keep it in my fridge and finish it in about 2 weeks and not a single leaf was wasted or wrotten.

What I love to do is just stock up on my proteins and freeze them. And buy vegetables as I need them. When I buy bread or tortillas I make food for the next few days with that so it doesn't go bad and I don't waste! Tacos, fajitas, wraps etc until all the tortillas are gone.
Ooh! That all sounds delicious, I definitely love my fruits- but my veggies are a bit of a struggle and both are hard to keep fresh, i never thought of freezing them though that's a good idea! We buy a 5 lb log of meat and cut it up into pounds to have through out the month- either tacos or sloppy joes or spaghetti or anything else really but I don't think all of that is really healthy =p

My boyfriend and I usually use close 400 a month for food for us but this time we're going healthy so it may be exactly 400 this time.

What is the healthiest way to make a smoothie?
Old 02-11-2011, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

I don't know the healthiest way but here's what I do:
1 banana
5 frozen strawberries
about 1/2 Cup of fruit juice, just enough to blend smoothly
I want to say this is like 300 calories and a ton of carbs

you could also use low fat milk to blend it
or add a scoop of vanilla protein mix to make it taste like a strawberry shake yum

sloppy joes can be healthy! Just use fresh vegetables. It's actually really easy. You could even have a huge food processing day where you just freeze everything into portions fit to recipes.
Like cut up your peppers and everything you put into sloppy joes, then the rest is spice and condiments. Use whole wheat buns. or I even through it on a slice of whole wheat bread. I love sloppy joes so much.