Notices

dressing for salads?

Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
FitDay Member

Default dressing for salads?

Hi,
I am in week 2 of my new low-carb diet which is working beautifully. I have lost 2kgs and yet I feel so much more healthy, not food deprived. However, I find salads boring without a nice dressing...does anyone have a simple, easy dressing that will fit in with a low carb menu please? All the ready prepared store bought dressings seem to be too high in thing or another and I'm getting confused! Thank you.
Maura
Old 02-10-2011, 02:23 AM
Super Moderator

Walden Farms has 0 calorie, 0 carbs, 0 sugar, 0 anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:35 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I've tried a bunch of their stuff and couldn't stomach any of it. I know some people like it, but in my opinion it's just nasty. Personally, I'll live with the cals and carbs in my favorite FF low cal ranch dressing (which I prefer the taste of over the "real" stuff).

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-10-2011, 02:39 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
Where do you buy this? I've never even heard of it...
Old 02-10-2011, 02:43 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by kcolville
Where do you buy this? I've never even heard of it...
It's a commercial site, so probably best not to add the link here, but if you google it, it should be the first hit.

I bought a bunch of their stuff. I tried some and hated it, so I still have a bunch unopened. If you'd like some free....

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mecompco
It's a commercial site, so probably best not to add the link here, but if you google it, it should be the first hit.

I bought a bunch of their stuff. I tried some and hated it, so I still have a bunch unopened. If you'd like some free....

Regards,
Michael
my local grocery store carries it. Like Michael said, it's not that great but hey what can you expect for 0 cal? lol
Old 02-10-2011, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

I use olive oil, salt, pepper, cider vinegar and oregano and shake it to make a dressing for my salads. I've also used rice wine vinegar and sesame seed oil with salt and pepper to make salad dressings. All dressings are going to have some fat to them because of the oil you need to emulsify but making your own is a lot healthier than buying in a store and you can control portions that way. Don't be afraid to experiment with the oils and seasonings in your cupboard.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Thousand Island Dressing with hint of smoke
Makes 1 1/2 cups or 24 tablespoons

1 cup mayonnaise
4 tablespoons sugar free sweet pickle relish
4 tablespoons regular ketchup
1/2 tespoon yellow prepared mustard
1 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
1 packet artificial sweetener (equivalent sweetening of 2 tsp. sugar)

Mix well.

Nutrition counts per tablespoon
62 calories; 6.7g fat, .8g carbs--yes, .8g not 8g

Last edited by Mern; 02-16-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:32 AM
FitDay Member

TOMATO MAYO SALAD DRESSING

Only 4 ingredients--5 if you choose the optional artificial sweetener. You can vary the ingredients according to your own taste.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup canned, diced tomatoes drained BEFORE measuring (reserve some juice)
1 cup full fat mayo (I used Hellman's)
1 tablespoon vinegar (I used white)
1 tablespoon tomato juice from the same can of tomatoes
Optional: 1/2 individual packet artificial sweetener--sweetening power of one teaspoon sugar

Directions:
1. Drain the tomatoes well. With the food processor, food chopper, or knife chop the tomatoes fine, but be careful to not puree them. Drain again to be sure your dressing doesn't get too runny.

2. Whisk together all the ingredients except the artificial sweetener.

3. If using, mix in the artificial sweetener a little at a time so it doesn't come out sweeter than you like.

Recipe as made yielded 24 tablespoons

Per tablespoon:
Calories: 60
Fat: 6.7g
Carbs .24 (yes, .24 not 2.4)
Fiber .05
Net Carbs: .19
Protein .05
Old 02-17-2011, 02:03 AM
FitDay Member

May not be great for low carb, but I use rice vinegar. No oil. There is stuff in the asian food isle. It is pretty much rice vinegar with a bit of sugar added. It is so good for dressing I dont even need to add the oil. At about ~15 cal/tbsp it beats any vinegarette I've ever had. Great w/ tuna on the salad too! They come in different flavors, but I like the original the best. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.