Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Help! I'm not eating enough... >

Help! I'm not eating enough...

Community
Notices

Help! I'm not eating enough...

Old 02-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Egg whites are a great source of protein.

Why does he want you to eat more? What are your goals? (not his!)

What does a normal day of eating look like for you? What macro #'s are you shooting for?

I am 5'2" and eat around a 1000 cals a day. I do not eat breakfast either.

My average cal intake over the past two months was about 1050. I burned an average of 1925. I log my sleep and I lowered my custom BMR.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:43 PM
FitDay Member

My favorite breakfast always has been eggs. Now I do it healthy. 2 to 3 egg whites, onions, green peppers, celery, mushrooms, broccoli or asparagus. Scramble it all together in a nonstick pan. ( I don't take the time to make the omelet). Just as it is getting done I sprinkle a little reduced fat cheese on, let it melt and throw it in a bowl. Makes a great and filling breakfast. I normally have the veggies all chopped up for the whole week and put in the fridge so that in the mornings I can just pull them out and throw them in the pan.

Another one I eat is canned pairs (water packed) with cottage cheese (fat free) Have also done this with peaches, but I really like the pears.

Then there is always that left over grilled chicken breast, smoothies made with greek yogurt, anything really works for breakfast as long as you like what you are eating.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:32 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
Egg whites are a great source of protein.

Why does he want you to eat more? What are your goals? (not his!)

What does a normal day of eating look like for you? What macro #'s are you shooting for?

I am 5'2" and eat around a 1000 cals a day. I do not eat breakfast either.

My average cal intake over the past two months was about 1050. I burned an average of 1925. I log my sleep and I lowered my custom BMR.
Thanks for your info, I was feeling good about my 1,000 per day average. I really didn't feel like I was restricting myself and wasn't hungry. I'm not sure if he feels I should be eating more since I've also greatly increased my activity too. I'm not sure what you mean about macro #'s, could you explain that? I'm 5'6" and am currently about 198, and my goal is 150. I really appreciate everyone's info! I've gotten so many ideas from this thread and it's really helping me!! Thank you!!

~Alyssum
Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
FitDay Member

Hi, I'm pretty new on FitDay. I have to admit that I've been doing intermittent fasting for about three months now and have no issue skipping breakfast whereas before could never understand how people actually skipped it. I still get my calories in and my energy levels have sky rocketed. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and very much goes against everything the health industry would like us to believe, but I have to say I love it. My life doesn't revolve around food. So if you don't want to eat breakfast then don't - why eat if you're not hungry? Just ensure you increase your calorie intake for the days that you see your personal trainer - which it seems you do anyway. If what you're doing is working continue. Why fix something that ain't broke?

Last edited by restlessjapie; 02-10-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hey Almeeker?

I saw on another thread you posted a recipe for smothered steak soup I think it was that sounded fabulous! Also, I've been trying to gather recipes for my new crock-pot. Would you mind sharing your recipe?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Smothered Steak Soup:

Take 1 leftover steak from the grill, dice it into bite sized pieces.
2 large onions, cut in half and then sliced
1-2 packages of fresh mushrooms, I like 2 pkgs whole baby belles but sliced white work just as well
4-5 cups of beef broth, which I make with bullion.
2-4 tablespoons of steak sauce (optional)
salt & pepper (salt optional, pepper mandatory)
1-2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
olive oil

Saute the sliced onions in olive oil until clear. Then throw everything into your crock pot, simmer on high for 4 hours, or low for 8. Place a bread heel in the bottom of a soup bowl, sprinkle with either mozzarella cheese, or a slice of Swiss then pour soup over it. It's pretty much French onion soup with mushrooms and steak. The hardest part of that recipe is having leftover steak.

Macros are how your calories break down, % carbs, % proteins, % fats.

Last edited by almeeker; 02-11-2011 at 05:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Smothered Steak Soup:

Take 1 leftover steak from the grill, dice it into bite sized pieces.
2 large onions, cut in half and then sliced
1-2 packages of fresh mushrooms, I like 2 pkgs whole baby belles but sliced white work just as well
4-5 cups of beef broth, which I make with bullion.
2-4 tablespoons of steak sauce (optional)
salt & pepper (salt optional, pepper mandatory)
1-2 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce
olive oil

Saute the sliced onions in olive oil until clear. Then throw everything into your crock pot, simmer on high for 4 hours, or low for 8. Place a bread heel in the bottom of a soup bowl, sprinkle with either mozzarella cheese, or a slice of Swiss then pour soup over it. It's pretty much French onion soup with mushrooms and steak.
Hey, that sounds awesome! Have you calculated the cals/nutrish on it? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, that sounds so delicious, thank you for sharing!!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:49 AM
FitDay Member

Doctors talking trash about eggs or red meat in relation to blood cholesterol ring a little outdated since the majority of the cholesterol in your blood is produced internally. Carb control turns out to be effective (will try to dig up the paper I'm thinking of) at reducing that production but the point is, nutritionist might be a better person to ask than a GP.

Either way, eggs do have a bit less cholesterol than previously believed, that's something that was written up only in the last couple of weeks that I saw (e.g., USDA: Eggs' cholesterol level better than cracked up to be - USATODAY.com)

Can you give us some idea of the amount of exercise you're doing? 1000cal is almost always an area where you'll either have energy troubles or your body will otherwise react poorly.

Macros refer to protein/fat/carbohydrate ratios in whatever the food is.

Last edited by theLiftingYeti; 02-15-2011 at 02:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-15-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mecompco
Hey, that sounds awesome! Have you calculated the cals/nutrish on it? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael
Sorry but no, I usually put the steak in first so I can weigh it, then the use a slotted spoon for the veggies, then just pour the broth over it. I cook a whole lot like Rachel Ray, using my palm for a measuring cup, so each batch is different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.