Notices

splurged yesterday

Old 01-21-2011, 02:59 AM
FitDay Member

Default splurged yesterday

Had a ton of crap yesterday after 4pm. Been good for around 2 weeks before that. So today I am struggling to get back in the positive mind set since I screwed up. But I kind of felt like a day like that was building. And maybe that mindset is the problem. I've been good today. So why not focus on the good of today? Just thinking out loud a little bit.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

AONT (All Or Nothing Thinking) is bad. Don't do it!

I've fallen into that trap before and it is a very destructive on. What's past is past--forget about it and pick up where you left off. One meal or one bad day won't derail you. Averages are what we're interested in since this is a long term thing.

My advice is to make sure you log every single calorie--good, bad or ugly--if you eat a dozen donuts (and I HAVE, in the past) log 'em. If you drink a gallon and a half of beer (done that too), log it. That way you can see how small an impact one slip-up makes on your average.

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-21-2011, 04:01 AM
FitDay Member

The hardest part about logging every calorie is how time consuming it is. I have done that a little bit lately, but I think I have only gone all the way through with it one day because of how long it takes. I know about custom foods and all that. I dunno, maybe I will do it again. Thanks for your input. You are right about the all or nothing thinking. I am already feeling pretty good just thinking about this. I am losing weight and feeling good and just had one bad half-day. I'm sure it hurt my averages a lot. But not as much as having 14 bad half-days in the same week LOL. So, nice to meet you Michael. I'm Mike. What things have worked for you in your huge amount of weight loss. Do you have a plan for maintaining when you get back there?
Old 01-21-2011, 04:33 AM
FitDay Member

Mike is right- one bad day is better then 14! I slipped up a bit yesterday too!

When i get home from work it is really tough for me- because i have free range of the kitchen It helps for me to plan out food for the day- then i can look forward to having that 200 calorie snack when i get home. I know when i cant have- so i focus on that.
Planning out my day in the morning helps my food intake overall too- because it allows me to plan ahead and prepare myself for the upcoming meals.

Thinking ahead is always the best when it comes to eating healthy-
Old 01-21-2011, 05:15 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Originally Posted by mchedester
The hardest part about logging every calorie is how time consuming it is. I have done that a little bit lately, but I think I have only gone all the way through with it one day because of how long it takes. I know about custom foods and all that. I dunno, maybe I will do it again. Thanks for your input. You are right about the all or nothing thinking. I am already feeling pretty good just thinking about this. I am losing weight and feeling good and just had one bad half-day. I'm sure it hurt my averages a lot. But not as much as having 14 bad half-days in the same week LOL. So, nice to meet you Michael. I'm Mike. What things have worked for you in your huge amount of weight loss. Do you have a plan for maintaining when you get back there?
Hi Mike. I know custom foods are a bit of a pain, but once they're in, they're in. I spend less than 5 minutes a day entering my food and activities. I make much use of the "recent foods" features--if you do the "more foods" choice at the bottom you can scroll through the last week(s) of food and check off multiple ones to add--this makes entry quick and painless.

As to my plan, I stay between 1500 and 1600 calories a day (always 1500, usually under 1550). I don't "cheat". I do have one day a month that I plan to take "off" w/no calorie restrictions. I do log everything, even on the day "off".

I try to keep more-or-less a 40/30/30 carb/prot/fat mix on my pie chart, but don't worry too much if it's off a bit.

I avoid simple carbs and processed food as much as possible.

I only drink black coffee and water (and usually some form of alcohol on my "day off").

Most days I eat 300 cals (high protein) for breakfast, 100 cal snack around 9 am, 300 cals for lunch around 11:30 and the rest of my calories for dinner around 5:30 or thereabouts.

I walk 1.3 miles in 25 minutes every day during my lunch break and on weekends do WiiFit and/or some other activity.

This is what works for me. I will say that my loss has slowed down now that I'm under 300--it's about 2 lbs a week now. In past weight loss journies I've lost much faster, though I was younger and ate much fewer calories (1000 a day).

I'm now convinced that a more sedate pace is better for a number of reasons.

As to maintaining the loss, the jury is still out. It's something I've never been able to do in the past. My current thought is that by losing more slowly my body and mind will adjust to the new "me". And, I intend to continue to log food/activities here to keep me "honest". We'll just have to wait and see how that all plays out, so stay tuned!

Regards,
Michael
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 AM
FitDay Member

They say it takes 3 weeks (minimum) to start a new habit, so I'm thinking you have to get right back to it Mister, because you got another week (minimum) to go before your new lifestyle is even close to becoming a habit. Believe me, I know all about habits, good, bad, otherwise. Hey it happens, at least you're not letting it spiral out of control. Grab the reins and brace yourself, the first 48 hours after a binge are the worst, then the carb monster tapers off and you'll have an easier time controlling it again.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Michael,

I have the same weight goal as you and I have also had difficulty maintaining when I have gotten close to it. Hopefully we can help each other. You have some serious momentum going. I don't work out as much as you, but maybe that will have to change. I've been trying to stay under 2000 calories/day. It's been tough, but I feel better when I exercise discipline. i think i'm getting some momentum going too. just a couple weeks, but more than i've put together in a long time. i've heard it takes 30 days to establish a habit. i am at least going to go that far even if i do have a slip up like last night. i really can see myself doing it this time, so i actually believe it.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:20 AM
FitDay Member

Michael,

Another thing, are you hungry all day? I am hungry all day when I keep my calories low. What about you? Any tips for managing hunger? And please don't tell me to eat a lot of protein for breakfast. No matter how I spread out 1500-2000 calories, I'm still hungry.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:11 AM
FitDay Member

Just curious as to thoughts on that 'all or nothing' thinking. I've always thought it was important to understand personal motivations/orientations to food and I am definintely an all or nothing kind of eater. I don't have a problem saying no to sweets and such, but once I get a taste, I don't know how to keep portions in control. I'm aware this could set me up for binging (and has in the past), but I have yet to find a better way to handle my problem. I had read a book a while ago, something like "7 secrets of naturally skinny people" that talked a lot about learning to eat more actively, and yet letting go of any regrets if you do have a bit too much...basically cutting out the guilt. It was an eye-opening read for me if anyone is interested.

Anyway, Mike, to address your question about being so hungry...I personally find a little carb with my protein is much more satiatiating. For instance, my usual weeekend breakfast consists of two egg whites and veggies (usually mushrooms and spinach). It's basically protein on top of protein. On the side I usually have either fruit or yogurt. I found, however, that I would be hungry within an hour or so of eating it, but when I add a slice of whole wheat toast, I stay full a lot longer. Since such a realization, I try to keep my snacks and meals a nice balance of protein, veg/fruit, and carb with maybe a little added dairy. The more complete, the longer I stay full.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:30 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by mchedester
Michael,

Another thing, are you hungry all day? I am hungry all day when I keep my calories low. What about you? Any tips for managing hunger? And please don't tell me to eat a lot of protein for breakfast. No matter how I spread out 1500-2000 calories, I'm still hungry.
I find that increasing my activity works better than cutting my calories too low. I can't handle hunger. Hunger does not seem to increase with increased activities - in fact I find I'm less hungry on those days.

Weekends are always hard. I overate at a lunch buffet yesterday, however it was at 3 pm. so I was able to avoid food for the rest of the day and my calories were likely only 2-300 more than usual.

Getting back on is track is so important. Knowing that you are going to lapse and having a plan to deal with that helps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.