Beef Jerky... I'm practically addicted to the stuff >

Beef Jerky... I'm practically addicted to the stuff

Community
Notices

Beef Jerky... I'm practically addicted to the stuff

Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 AM
FitDay Member

Default Beef Jerky... I'm practically addicted to the stuff

I have a question about the beef jerky calorie count. It says that the jerky is 57% fat, well I make my own and there is absolutely no fat on it. It's as lean as meat can get. That being said, I'm sure there is fat in it, just not 57% worth of it. Is there a way I can check this? I looked around the webs and can't find any counts for extra lean jerky
Old 01-22-2011, 04:34 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Dude,
I don't know where you are getting your jerky, or the information, but all the store-bought packages I have ever seen have been around 10% fat or less. If you are making your own, I'd go with the numbers typical of the big producers.

And yeah, I love the stuff too. I have a hard time getting enough protein when I need to balance out all of the other nutrients, but 2 or 3 oz of jerky as an afternoon snack boosts the protein without overloading the calories. Plus it keeps me going until supper time.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah, I love it as a snack too Run! It takes a while to chew and digest so it keeps me full for longer than a of of other things.

I did some research and realized something. I was using the calorie content of the fat instead of how much of the jerky is actually fat. I was using Fitday's default beef jerky entry. According to that, it states that the jerky is actually 25% fat, which still seems really high to me. I use bottom round roasts to make my jerky and there is no fat. If I use other cuts you can see the fat "bubble up" on the jerky and I have to pat it off.

I'm going to try to make a custom beef jerky with 90% fat or so
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Yum! send me some!