Notices

baja ensalada

Old 01-14-2011, 04:49 AM
FitDay Member

Default baja ensalada

Has anybody else had the chicken baja ensalada salad from baja fresh? just over 300 calories and it's really good. it's over 6 bucks after tax, but i'm thinking this will be my lunch at least a couple days/week. i'm so excited to discover this! i'm using the red, hot salsa instead of dressing. so good!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:01 AM
FitDay Member

Not to be too critical, but for $6 I could make salad for the whole week, and it would be lower in calories, larger in quantity and likely contain a lot more protein. Did you ever think about making it yourself?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Not to be too critical, but for $6 I could make salad for the whole week, and it would be lower in calories, larger in quantity and likely contain a lot more protein. Did you ever think about making it yourself?
yep, i thought about it. i'm trying to make things easy on myself right now. i am at the very beginning stages where i get excited at little things like this. i have under a week of working out, eating right, no booze, and no smokes under my belt, so i'm not where you are yet. maybe soon i'll be making my food for the week.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM
FitDay Member

I'm glad you're finding something that works for you. I didn't work up to making salad, I'm a tightwad and I think it's genetic. I will say that you have to be really careful with ready-made food, there isn't much policing done on those dishes, so even if they tell you how many calories are in it, the accuracy of that number is not the least bit reliable, especially the dressing. Same goes for frozen box foods.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 AM
FitDay Member

I love this salad! This is my go-to when I am running too late to make lunch or I just have to get out of the office for a bit. It really feels like a treat because it is such a big salad, but it is mostly lettuce (romaine, NOT iceberg!) and lean chicken. I tried the shrimp one once, but there was so little shrimp on it that it was disappointing. I love to load it up at the free salsa bar with the fresh, chopped tomato pico de gallo, and I also use salsa for dressing. That's what makes it great for me. I can make a great salad at home (and I often do), but I just love that salsa!

The only bummer for me is the high sodium count for anything at Baja Fresh. It is way more than I would normally eat in a whole day, but I only get it every few weeks or so. Fortunately, my blood pressure is excellent, but I would never eat it the day before I weigh!
Old 01-20-2011, 03:45 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by zootnarf
I love this salad! This is my go-to when I am running too late to make lunch or I just have to get out of the office for a bit. It really feels like a treat because it is such a big salad, but it is mostly lettuce (romaine, NOT iceberg!) and lean chicken. I tried the shrimp one once, but there was so little shrimp on it that it was disappointing. I love to load it up at the free salsa bar with the fresh, chopped tomato pico de gallo, and I also use salsa for dressing. That's what makes it great for me. I can make a great salad at home (and I often do), but I just love that salsa!

The only bummer for me is the high sodium count for anything at Baja Fresh. It is way more than I would normally eat in a whole day, but I only get it every few weeks or so. Fortunately, my blood pressure is excellent, but I would never eat it the day before I weigh!
I use the salsa as the dressing as well. I use the red, runny, hot stuff. So good!