Getting a grip! >

Getting a grip!

Community
Notices

Getting a grip!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:13 AM
FitDay Member

Default So many thank you's!

Wow, thank you Everyone! I can't tell you all how touched I am by your responses.

Runbikeski, you really hit the nail on the head! That's exactly what it was like. I am hoping that the 3 pounds leave quickly after all I have made it clear to them that they are not welcome here by logging my food and exercising.

Canary, I hope you get to see the Arctic one day. It truly is spectacular!

Sailordoom, wow the Alaskan bush? I believe where I was is similar although I was way East of that on Frobisher Bay in a place called Baffin Island. I was actually teaching my craft to a group of young Inuit filmmakers and it was an incredible experience! We went shooting video all over the place and then edited together a short documentary. I work in that field.

Cassie, what can I say? You have given me so many light bulb moments in your post. I know this may sound selfish but I'm kind of glad that you had this detour as well. (Sorry!) It's just that I don't feel like a big fat failure anymore thanks to me coming back to Fitday, getting all of this amazing advice from people who really get it and discovering that I am not the only one! You're totally right! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your wisdom with me. I get it now. Detours are sometimes part of the journey and just because I took a wrong turn, doesn't mean that I won't get to my destination. I have gotten back to doing my 30 Day Shred DVD and tomorrow I am hitting the road and getting back to the running. Of course I brought my running shoes to the Arctic but it was pretty much impossible to run there! I am including a picture which was taken at 2pm! By 2:30 it is DARK but the sky is so spectacular it takes your breath away.

Changeisgood, thank you so much for the welcome!

Hugs to all of you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Dusk at 2pm.jpg (39.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 AM
FitDay Member

Wow! Sweet photo -- sounds like you had an amazing time!

By the way, the enthusiasm in your posts kinda re-motivated me. We're super snowed in here tonight and I was in curl-up-on-the-couch mode until I "heard" your positivity! Now I'm off to the gym. Just goes to show how beneficial these forums are, sometimes in round about ways.

Welcome back once again.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:02 PM
FitDay Member

Wow SailorDoom, you just totally made my night! I hope you had a great workout. I am back to running tomorrow morning. This forum rocks!
Old 12-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, ladies, keeping it going..I'm to the basement to do some intervals on the treadmill. Thanks for the motivation!

I have my first 5K tomorrow evening...I am really nervous but excited, too!
Old 12-03-2010, 03:16 PM
FitDay Member

When I went on vacation for 2 weeks, I intended to log my food on paper because I was without an internet connection-didn't happen. It took me a lot longer than a week to get back on track. New habits are so hard to form and the old ones are so easy to slip into. And I'm less likely to log when I've had a bad day, I don't want to face it. When I get a workout in, I feel pretty good about accomplishing it because it's not easy to carve out the time and my body doesn't always cooperate with my desires, and I eat better that day because I don't want to waste all that effort I just spent. Knowing other people fall into the same patterns of behavior makes me think "Phew, it's not just me, this is normal and I'm going to come out OK", and that's a huge comfort.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:22 PM
FitDay Premium Member

Default off topic - again - and back on.

Cassie - go girl go! Enjoy the comraderie of all those fit folks.

On topic: Wow Rose, what a glorious pix. So tell us what, exactly, you were teaching? Your "craft" sound truly interesting.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
FitDay Member

3# is totally not the end of the world, it's hardly a blip of static on the TV. Believe me. We went to Florida this past summer and spent 2 weeks non-stop eating/playing and spending money, and I came home 8 POUNDS HEAVIER. At first I was like you, really down and disappointed in myself. And then I thought, no that is not a fair assessment of me or the situation. We went on vacation, and a vacation by definition is a break from ones real life, and my real life is a nutritious and low cal diet along with daily exercise. So therefore those 8 pounds are not real pounds they are just vacation pounds and they can and will be negated by my real life in a matter of days/weeks. And they were. So cut yourself a little slack, those are just a little residual evidence of a great trip and they will fall by the wayside just like the jet lag and the mountain of dirty laundry you came back with, right?
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

Darlings, I went to North Carolina this summer. When I left I was at my lowest weight in a long time, when I returned one week later, ONE WEEK, I was 9 pounds heavier. 9 friggin pounds! And I wasn't even in the awesome place you were. Great picture! Man I gotta go! I admire the factthat you were teaching and also the fact that you're psyched to get back on track. You go, girl!
Old 12-05-2010, 01:22 AM
FitDay Member

Almeeker, you always know what to say! I just love your attitude. It totally puts my crazy messed up weight-obsessed life into a new context. You really have a way of making me feel less alone, less insane, and like I can - and will - reach my goal. Thanks for that!

Cassie, how did the 5K go?!!! Keep us posted! I'm sure you rocked it and I wouldn't be surprised if you won the race!

Lizzycritter, I couldn't agree more. It truly is a comfort to know that we are not alone. That's why this forum is so great.

Canary, thank you so much for the encouragement. It means so much. And right back at you!

Runbikeski, I was actually teaching a workshop on film editing but I ended up also accompanying my team on their shoot because they were all teens and none of them could drive and they had several locations to get to. So I am an editor (meaning I sit in a dark room in front of a computer all day) but I suddenly found myself driving a HUGE 4X4 in the Arctic, belting out Lady Gaga songs with my Inuit students. It was pretty crazy! I normally drive a Beetle and this truck had no power steering, not to mention the roads were extremely icy. It was quite a week let me tell you. But honestly I feel so unbelievably lucky to have lived this experience. I learned a lot about the Inuit people and their history... and one thing I have learned traveling to different parts of the world is that we all way more alike than we are different.

Last edited by mtlgirl; 12-05-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Rose, the mental picture is awesome! I am so glad you had a good time!

Hopefully now a few days have gone by and you are progressively feeling more in control. The good news is that your body remembers what it's like to respond to good choices and it will snap back in more quickly this time than when you started; I don't know if there is science behind it but I believe it's the case.

Thanks for asking about my 5K. It was chilly and rainy (yuk)...just a constant mist and sometimes drizzle, so not tremendously enjoyable, but I am glad that I did it and will do another when the weather is better. I got really emotional at the finish...I was elated to have done it but I was bummed because I had set a time goal for myself and missed it by less than a minute, so I was really frustrated, too. My son rolled through about 4 minutes later and my hubby, who walked it most of the way, came in about 10 minutes after him.

And then we came home to chili in the crock pot and went back out for frozen yogurt, which, in my opinion, was the best part .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.