Notices

Artificial sweeteners

Old 02-01-2010, 12:14 AM
FitDay Member

Default Food for thought

My problem with artificial sweeteners isn't based on conspiracy theory. It's based on science - actually the lack of science behind the FDA approval on all food additives. The studies used to support approval are from the industries the FDA is supposed to be regulating.

Out of 166 studies on the safety of aspartame, 74 were funded by the companies that make and market it. 100% of those 74 studies confirmed its safety. Many of the studies were flawed and/or designed to have certain outcomes:
Scientific Abuse in Seizure Research Related to Aspartame

Debunking the "Official Aspartame Myth

Of the remaining that were independently funded (meaning - there was no economic stake in the findings) only 8% confirmed the claims of safety.

92% of the independent studies found problems with aspartame and indicated that it may risk consumer health. There is cause for concern and further (sound, independent) study is needed.

It's not just the FDA that's the problem though - it's all our government agencies. Look at who runs the EPA, the SEC, and the USDA. They all have insiders from the industries they're supposed to be regulating at the top. They all have conflicts of interest that work in opposition to the public health they are charged to protect.

Last edited by KimmyRocks; 02-01-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:52 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by KimmyRocks
My problem with artificial sweeteners isn't based on conspiracy theory. It's based on science - actually the lack of science behind the FDA approval on all food additives. The studies used to support approval are from the industries the FDA is supposed to be regulating.

Out of 166 studies on the safety of aspartame, 74 were funded by the companies that make and market it. 100% of those 74 studies confirmed its safety. Many of the studies were flawed and/or designed to have certain outcomes:
Scientific Abuse in Seizure Research Related to Aspartame

Debunking the "Official Aspartame Myth

Of the remaining that were independently funded (meaning - there was no economic stake in the findings) only 8% confirmed the claims of safety.

92% of the independent studies found problems with aspartame and indicated that it may risk consumer health. There is cause for concern and further (sound, independent) study is needed.

It's not just the FDA that's the problem though - it's all our government agencies. Look at who runs the EPA, the SEC, and the USDA. They all have insiders from the industries they're supposed to be regulating at the top. They all have conflicts of interest that work in opposition to the public health they are charged to protect.

I agree with that 100%.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 AM
FitDay Member

I get charlie horses in my calves in the middle of the night and they get so bad they make me cry. I refuse to use it. I did some research and found out it was originally developed as an ant poison. Now they give it to us to drink. No thanks.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

I can't use aspartame either, same thing-migrane trigger. Even certain flavors of toothpaste, mouthwash, or gum will do it to me. I find I tolerate cinnamon the best. As for low calorie low fat, I find I'm better off with a smaller portion of the "real" stuff. There's way too much sweetening in a LOT of processed foods, artificial or not. For convenience foods (crackers, granola bars, cereals etc) I eat a lot of Kashi brand products. The cereal was a little bland at first, but now that I'm used to it, it's shocking how syrupy-sweet "regular" cereal and granola bars are-and "diet" meal replacement bars (like Slimfast, Special K) are sickeningly sweet to me now. Your tastebuds do adjust, and it doesn't take very long, maybe 2 or 3 weeks once you start eating healthy.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:46 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Lizzycritter
I can't use aspartame either, same thing-migrane trigger. Even certain flavors of toothpaste, mouthwash, or gum will do it to me. I find I tolerate cinnamon the best. As for low calorie low fat, I find I'm better off with a smaller portion of the "real" stuff. There's way too much sweetening in a LOT of processed foods, artificial or not. For convenience foods (crackers, granola bars, cereals etc) I eat a lot of Kashi brand products. The cereal was a little bland at first, but now that I'm used to it, it's shocking how syrupy-sweet "regular" cereal and granola bars are-and "diet" meal replacement bars (like Slimfast, Special K) are sickeningly sweet to me now. Your tastebuds do adjust, and it doesn't take very long, maybe 2 or 3 weeks once you start eating healthy.

I have even had to quit using toothpaste because carrageenan ( I think thats how its spelled) is also another name for MSG as is aspartame.Its all a neuro toxin and only 1 of a few things that will actually penetrate the blood brain barrier,thats 1 reason why its so bad.If anyone has a problem with aspartame you more than likely have side effects from MSG as we'll.I just want to say this again and will continue to say it ,that the phrase MSG is just a slang term used and almost everything has it in it.Food companies are not required to list MONO SODIUM GLUTAMATE on the can if its not 100% in there,so what they do then is create these other words like natural flavors that only have 80% MSG in it and then are not required to list the real ingredients.I know I have said this before but hey never hurts to say it again.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by basscat348
They are not conspircy theory sites.Are you allergic msg or know anyone who is ? We'll I am and it can cause serious effects to the human body.My dad just had to have a quadruple bypass because of this stuff so dont tell me its a conspiracy.Its gives me heart palpatations and it gave my dad a heart attack.If you dont have a problem with msg thats great , but there are alot of people out thare that do and alot more that dont even know it and need help.
My dh is allergic to MSG. It causes heart palpatations to the point he swears he was having a heart attack. It causes him to feel light headed and have cold sweats. It also can trigger panic attacks in some ppl. We avoid MSG and it's hard to do when it goes by so many labels.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:50 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Redhead10
I get charlie horses in my calves in the middle of the night and they get so bad they make me cry. I refuse to use it. I did some research and found out it was originally developed as an ant poison. Now they give it to us to drink. No thanks.
This is going to sound silly but bear with me....put a bar of soap between your sheets at the food of the bed. It's supposed to help. And, eat a banana everyday. My mother told me about the soap thing and she swears by it.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:37 AM
FitDay Member

Default Better to just have the normal fat and sugar?

This all depends on your current diet. Sugar typically is bad fruit sugars are a little bit better however... your body will process and burn sugars and bad carbs first and then turn the stuff you consume that is more healthy for you into cholesterols. The body is a very complicated machine achieving balance can be difficult but well worth the work you put into it. Diet pop and regular pop of course is bad for you period the carbonation as well as the carbohydrates in it do not bode well for health mode. Not to mention have you ever seen what putting diet or regular pop on a battery connector will do? It's corrosive to the filth and rust on it...if it does that to an inanimate object you can only imagine what it would do to your stomach.

In Moderation everything can be "ok" you just need to keep track of everything you put into your body and eat more of the things you need and are healthy and then do very very small portions of the things you love that you cannot do without but are unhealthy for you. Once a month I go to chinese buffet and eat 1 of my crab rangoon and 1 piece of my fave tempura chicken nugget. But the same visit I eat lots of steamed veggies with a nice piece of salmon since salmon is high in monounsaturated fat that in your system works as a rotorooter for your vessels as it carts the bad cholesterols off to the liver to be turned into bile salts and then excreted.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up Quest Bars

It's hard to find a source of quality protein that doesn't have tons of carbs, sugars, or artificial sweeteners. Or a good tasting one for that matter, but quest bars are the best product I've found for my strict diet. I know low carb diets are controversial but for an aspiring fitness model, I have to avoid non-fiber or simple carbohydrates. I eat like 3 quest bars a day(a little excessive but w/e haha) and I'm still getting getting leaner. All I have to say, is JUST TRY ONE!

Last edited by Kathy13118; 01-30-2014 at 02:51 AM. Reason: edited out link to spam
Old 05-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Banned

Smile

Used to do some examining about individuals web page, many thanks pertaining to publishing these. Appears like, for many a minimum of, MSG is definitely awful! Let me start out examining labels for it.