FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Shirataki Noodles (Konjac or Yam Noodles) (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/245-shirataki-noodles-konjac-yam-noodles.html)

RastaToo 01-23-2010 03:44 PM

Shirataki Noodles (Konjac or Yam Noodles)

Anyone have some good ways to use shirataki noodles (basically a 0 calorie food with decent fiber).

ysabeau145 01-25-2010 04:59 AM

I love these! I use them in all kinds of ways: with fresh grated ginger, soy sauce(I use low sodium), chopped green onions, chopped garlic, and a leafy vegetable like bok choy. I eat that as a side with grilled fish or chicken- sort of "Asian-esque". I follow the instructions for cooking the noodles and draining them and then with 1 teaspoon of healthy oil I quickly saute the onions, ginger, garlic and veg until all is soft, then I add noodles and splash with soy sauce. I also eat them with red sauce and turkey meatballs- basically I just try them as I would other types of pastas- some work better than others. But, they are a great noodle fix!

[email protected] 01-25-2010 10:09 AM

Where do i get shiataki noodles

I have looked at a few stores and can't find them unless i am looking in the wrong section.I really want to try these.

lunarsea 01-25-2010 11:55 AM

Huh, I had these in sukiyaki at New Years-- never knew they were so healthy! They were awfully tasty too.

Michelle, you'll find them at an asian food store, look for konnyaku or shirataki noodles.

RastaToo 01-26-2010 04:09 AM

Refrigerated section

I have always found these packed in a water filled pouch and always in the refrigerated section.

revcher 03-02-2010 06:56 AM

Usually near the tofu.

Amazon2Andes 03-02-2010 07:43 AM

Just like any noodle..

I use these when I cook for my mom, who is diabetic. They go great in soups, in stir fries, or any other way you would serve noodles. I like to mix them into a stir fry, at the end, and let them absorb all the flavors before I plate it. You can use them like spaghetti, but I prefer spaghetti squash instead, with a nice thick marinara on top.

I found this great link to winning recipes from a Shirataki noodle cook off- everything from salad to dessert! Click Here to see.

I didn't know what they were made from, so thanks for sharing that! I just knew they were wheat free, which is a requirement for my diet.

Carla
www.AmazonToAndes.com

Amazon2Andes 03-02-2010 07:47 AM

Buy them online

I found them relatively cheap online. Looks like there are quite a few types more online than in the grocery store. I love buying from Asian Grocer - here is the link to their Shirataki noodles: Click Here

dan-anderson 09-28-2010 03:07 PM

Dragging up a 9 month old post... Sorry.

So, I got an e-mail from Atkins about these noodles today. My wife went to Whole foods and picked me up a package of the tofu kind (the higher calorie kind @ 20 cal/serving) - WOW!

These are awesome. How have I never heard of these before? If you've never tried these - please try them.

They do kind of shoot through you - but they are almost like real pasta, very low carb/calorie.

My life just got alot easier - quick stir-frys are a favorite lunch:

Package of these noodles
Leftover meat
Handfull of fresh/frozen green peppers and onions
Sprinkle of red pepper flakes

Tasty, cheap, easy, filling, healthy lunch!

MiniRed 09-28-2010 03:35 PM

"calories eaten and calories burned" ??

Hello my name is Mike, Just signed up today I'm 24 and about 224 lbs hoping to lose about 30 lbs in the next three months giving myself a goal to lose 10 lbs a month I was browsing the site and had a question about "calories eaten and calories burned". So far I have only had 856 calories today but that's before dinner and I'm supposed to intake 3,000 calories ? why so many calories ? I really don't eat much, but I'm still fat. Going to start running 20 minutes a day and light work out. I guess I just need help understanding why you have to eat so much calories to lose weight. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael