Notices

Measuring Pasta

Old 04-08-2010, 12:37 PM
FitDay Member

Default Measuring Pasta

Ok, here it is. I'm new to this whole measuring concept. Usually when I'm cooking spaghetti/fetticini/angel hair, etc, I would just grab a fist-full and say "Uh, yep. That looks about good"

The box says serving size 2oz. Dry or cooked? If cooked, how do you figure out how to get the correct measurement before cooking? I'm no slouch in the kitchen - have been doing most of the cooking for my wife & I for a number of years, but thisis the first i have needed to consider this.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hey there...

Don't feel bad; I had the same questions the first time I made pasta after starting FitDay. When I made the pasta for myself, I could just weigh out 2 oz. dry on a food scale and cook only that much. However, when the whole family eats it, it's a little more tricky. You could estimate and if you cook, say, 8 oz. altogether, eat a quarter of it, and that would be equivalent to your 2 oz. dry. Alternatively, though it probably varies depending on the kind of pasta, 2 oz. dry is about a cup cooked. That would be your serving size for the info on the package.

There's a chart on this link for different types of pasta...lots of other info, too, but click on the question "How much cooked pasta..." and it jumps you down: http://www.ilovepasta.org/faqs.html#Q10

Hope that helps!

Last edited by cjohnson728; 04-08-2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: added link
Old 04-08-2010, 02:20 PM
FitDay Member

Hello,

Nutritional labelling on dry pasta, rice, etc is listed as the portion per food as it is before cooking. Hope that helps - it gets confusing as I eat a lot of legumes and I always start with dry then hydrate and cook, however I make 1 cup of dry at a time but log it at the cooked value not the raw as I don't want to be pressure cooking a single serving at a time every day.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:52 AM
FitDay Member

That works - thanks folks!

Speaking of...time to start soaking the split peas for the leftover Easter ham.