Notices

Whole egg sodium content?

Old 11-01-2010, 02:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Whole egg sodium content?

I eat 5 whole eggs in the morning along with 3 egg whites. I use cooking spray with no sodium (walmart brand pam). When I look up whole eggs in fitday depending which option I pick the sodium content varies considerably. I have been using "egg whole fried without fat", which looking at the sodium content is a lot higher then "egg whole raw". So my question is since Im not adding salt to my eggs and cooking with cooking spray shouldnt the sodium content be the same as that of egg whole raw?

I'm trying to cut down on sodium in my diet so I just want to be as accurate as possible and with the way it is currently laid out in my fitdat using the nutrient content of "egg whole fried without fat" it seems like the sodium is being overestimated.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:36 AM
FitDay Member

So my question is since Im not adding salt to my eggs and cooking with cooking spray shouldnt the sodium content be the same as that of egg whole raw?
I would say yes. I eat boiled eggs and for some reason 'Egg, whole, boiled' also has a higher sodium content. I wonder where they got their data? Anyway good to know.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:05 AM
FitDay Member

Yeah. Im noticing it all over the place. With broccoli raw and brocolli cooked without fat it varies by 400 mg. I guess I will have to make all custom food entries if I want to track sodium more accurately.