Notices

Good recipes for non-fishy fish?

Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 AM
FitDay Member

Default Good recipes for non-fishy fish?

Sorry, I know that sounds strange! Neither my husband or I really eat fish all that much (to this point, it's usually deep fried or covered in mayo to the point that you can't taste that it is fish). I want to SLOWLY start rolling fish into our repertoire, but i'm looking for ideas that are more than just baked or broiled fish.

I saw something online about some tuna croquets that sounded good and fairly low fat. Do any of you have some suggestion for fish related recipes?

Thank you!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 AM
FitDay Member

If you are not a fish person, eat tilapia. It has such a mild flavor and its so easy to make. I spray Pam in a non-stick pan and season the fish with garlic salt, pepper and dill. Cook the fish on med-low heat for about 8-10 mins total, if its a thicker piece and then squeeze lemon juice over it at the end. Totally healthy and tasty at the same time. If you want some sauce on it, put some butter in the pan, squeeze in lemon juice and add some capers. That's always really good too. Add that with some steamed veggies with lemon juice on them and you are all set for dinner.

allrecipes.com has a lot of good recipes as well for anything so try therer
Old 10-19-2010, 08:10 AM
FitDay Member

Definitely tilapia but also try pollock. Tilapia is typically farm raised and pollock is wild caught so the nutrtion value is higher. Both have a very mild taste. I fry them in about 1 tbsp olive oil with fresh ground herbs, pepper, and salt. When you are done I poor the olive oil over some cooked frozen or fresh veggies and its great.

Some other good ones once you get used to eating more fish: Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, Salmon.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

Tilapia, you can sprinkle some Cajun seasoning or lemon pepper or garlic pepper pop it in the oven and it's done in 15-20 minutes.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

I like to dip the fish into apple cider vinegar before lightly breading with corn meal. Then I drizzle a touch of butter over the top and bake until done. It tastes breaded and fried but it isn't. Linda
Old 10-23-2010, 02:40 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by midwestj
Some other good ones once you get used to eating more fish: Mahi Mahi, Swordfish, Salmon.
You can also add Ahi (Yellowtail Tuna) to that list.
I usually grill my fish and I'll use Italian dressing or a little olive oil & spices for a marinade.
I'll also grill prawns marinated in an olive oil,tabasco,fresh garlic, lime juice and cayenne pepper mix...mmmm