Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Do you add veggies to your fruit smoothies? >

Do you add veggies to your fruit smoothies?

Community
Notices

Do you add veggies to your fruit smoothies?

Old 12-22-2010, 02:45 AM
FitDay Member

If you get really into juicing, it may pay for you to invest in a juicer. Maybe try to get a used one on Craigslist. I got a used Acme user and it's wonderful and it makes juicing so much easier. Adding carrots to a juicer is easy. You can add a beet too to your veggie or fruit juices or anything you like: apple pears spinach cabbage. A clove of garlic to boost your immune system. Soemtimes you can add a nut butter like almond to your smoothies for taste and additional protein. There also a great smoothie made with orange juice raspberries papaya and mango, a great summer drink.

Good luck have fun and experiment!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Baby food

I've never tried it, but it seems like you could add pureed vegetables in the form of baby food to smoothies. Since its baby food they usually don't add extra salt or sugar. Carrots, squash, pumpkin or peas could be tried.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:49 PM
FitDay Member

Default Re:

Hmm... I'll have to try Spinach sometime.... Also, I've done Carrots before too! I had like pineapple and orange juice and I added Carrot, and It actually turned out really really good! Carrots don't have that strong of a flavor, and it actually compliments the citrus pretty good.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:51 AM
FitDay Member

I have a freezer full of pureed veggies. I buy fresh veggies, steam them, then puree in my blender. I bag them in 1 cup and/or 1/2 cup sizes in zip lock bags, label with a sharpie and freeze them. It only takes a minute to thaw the little baggie in the microwave and I can add them to just about anything.....just match the colors. Example, pureed carrots or sweet potatoes in pasta sauce. Pureed cauliflower in mashed potatoes, spinach in meatloaf, etc. It is a great way to sneak in extra veggies for my kids. I've even done pureed beets in pancake mix and called them Princess Pancakes because they are pink. The kids loved them!

Jessica Seinfeld has a great book out called "Desceptively Delicious" that explains the process.

I would think this would work the same for smoothies.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:45 PM
FitDay Member

Default Green Smoothies

You might want to do a web search for Green Smoothies or the book Green for Life, which is basically a fruit and greens smoothie plan. I have been doing it since the day after Christmas. All that extra holiday junk food had me feeling deathly ill. But I feel great now, and a bonus is that the bloating that I have had a problem with for several years now is all but gone.

I am a believer.