Notices

Any delicious recipes for Tilapia?

Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 AM
FitDay Member

Default Any delicious recipes for Tilapia?

I bought some frozen Tilapia filiets and I am looking for a good recipe for them - something low calorie and low fat. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

they are good with a little olive oil, garlic, tiny bit of salt and pepper and cooked on the grill. I also love them with the same but cooked in the toaster oven in tin foil with some veggies cooked in the same tin foil wrap, yummy and easy!
Old 08-24-2010, 07:52 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you - sounds delicious! Now do they tend to fall apart on the grill?

Someone told me to pan fry them in some olive oil and then add salsa on top. Haven't tried that one yet.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:00 AM
FitDay Member

You do have to be careful with them on the grill. I use a grill topper thingy lol with smaller holes, like you would use for shrimp or smaller things and sray it with pam and have no problems. I love Salsa, so maybe I'll try that one!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

I love this recipe and have been making it for years. It has a Summery Caribbean flavour that is delicious! You cook the fillets in a tin foil packet with sweet potato, green onion, yellow pepper, tomato, lime juice, fresh cilantro a little hot sauce, and salt & pepper.

Preheat oven to 450.

Make two large squares (15x12-inch) of tin foil, and brush them with a little olive oil. Arrange a bed of sliced sweet potato (slice pretty thin, or they take too long to bake.) Rinse fillets and put them on the potatoes.

Then top each fish fillet with ingredients in this order:

chopped yellow peppers & tomatoes
green onions
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tbsp lime juice or 1/2 lime's worth of juice
dash of salt pepper and bottled hot sauce

Fold each foil square around the fish to form a packet. Place on lined cookie sheet (in case juices leak from packet) and bake at 450 for 25 minutes and voilà! Delicious and easy! Also clean-up is a snap because they are baked in tin foil packets.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

I had something tonight that I just kinda made up, based on ideas from other sources. Marinate the tilapia in margarita mix for a few hours. Crush up some tortilla chips. Run the fillets thru an egg bath, dip in the tortilla crumbs and top with salsa. Bakeed it at 350 for 15 min, and ta-da! It was very tasty! You could pbly leave the tortillas out and stil get plenty of flavor.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:19 AM
FitDay Member

Here's one I like: Broiled Indian Fish Filets Buttoni's Blog
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM
FitDay Member

I use the broiler, I have a gas oven. I make a tinfoil boat, lay the (thawed) tilapia fillets in that. Splash with lime juice, chopped garlic, and seasoned pepper, and 1/2 pat of butter on top of each fillet. The fish is so low cal and low fat, it's still only about 150 calories/fillet with the butter and it's such a nice flavor, totally worth it for me. Broil for 5-7 minutes. Including prep time, 10 minutes for a fresh cooked meal. Add steamed veggies (usually fresh broccoli when I do it) and you have a very satisfying super low calorie dinner.

The only problem with this recipe is I'm the only person in the house who likes fish, so I make it when I'm the only one I'm cooking for, and that doesn't happen very often.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:36 AM
FitDay Member

Oh lizzy you and I have so very much in common. I broil mine too, but when I make it for DH and I, the kids want fish sticks. I've been thinking about making my own fish sticks with an egg dip and and a dredge through crushed corn flakes, which would certainly healthy it up a bit for the kinder...

I don't put butter on mine anymore, I've switched to spray butter and a light sprinkle of dill weed (trust me on this one). It's also pretty yummy done tin foil dinner style with red onion, red wine and rosemary, which I do on the grill for like 7 minutes per side (starting with frozen fillets).
Old 10-07-2010, 11:57 AM
FitDay Member

I find tilapia so delicious that it doesn't need any oil or butter added to it. I put it on foil, season it with lemon pepper, onion, and paprika, then bake it at 400 for about 12 minutes. Usually I have broccoli with it and I use a 1/2 serving of a reduced fat broccoli cheese soup to make the broccoli a little more exciting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.