Notices

Easy salads with common ingredients?

Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 PM
FitDay Member

Question Easy salads with common ingredients?

I would LOVE to eat a fresh salad every day, but since lettuce and other ingredients go bad so quickly that I'm not sure how to stock my fridge so that I have variety AND can use everything before it rots.

The trouble is that I live and cook on my own, so I can't make complete dishes and many perishable ingredients go bad before I eat them. I have to keep using the same ingredient over and over (so they'll get used up) which means I can't buy many different kinds.

Do you have a favorite salad you make yourself at home?
Are there any key salad ingredients I could use for different combinations?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:18 AM
FitDay Member

Here are some of the staple vegetables that I always have on hand and the things that I do with them. You can tell what vegies I like lol.

broccoli-

I buy a can of Campbells broccoli cheese soup, add skim milk, ham and fresh or frozen broccoli to it. This will make at least 2 meals and it can also be frozen it for later too.

Stir Fry

In salad

As a side dish, steamed with a slice of FF cheese melted on top

In quiche- broccoli, egg beaters, hashbrowns (make my own), ff cheese, mushrooms if you want, skim milk. Mix it all together and bake.

On a baked potato

Zucchini-

I broil it with seasoning (Ms. Dash or whatever you like) and a sprinkle of bread crumbs

I put it on kabobs

In salad

Stir Fry

zucchini rounds side dish- grate zucchini, add egg beaters and a couple of teaspoons of flour, little bit of garlic powder and salt. Make into flat patties and fry in skillet with Pam spray. You can sprinkle the top with a little Parmesan cheese. These are really yummy!

Sprayed with Pam and thrown on the grill.

White whole mushrooms- I eat more mushrooms than any normal person should!

Use them in an omelet

Sautee whole in skillet and throw some ff mozzerella on top to melt- GOOD as a side dish.

On kabobs

sliced and put in salad

sliced, sauteed with onions and put on lean steak sandwiches

stuffed with crab meat and ff cream cheese and broiled (this is a meal in itself)

Grape Tomatoes-

I grab a handful of these and will eat them with a sandwich or as a snack and also in salads.

I use all of the stuff above during the week in salads and such. I buy the salad mix in a bag with a couple of kinds of lettuce, cabbage and carrots. So when you add the vegetables above you get quite a good variety. When I get to the end of the week and IF there is anything left that is going to go bad- I will throw it all in a skillet along with some shrimp or chicken and make stir fry. It is a great way to use everything up, is low in calories and is very filling. Another good way to use up them up is to make kabobs, slice them up and marinate in ff Italian dressing overnight, thread them on skewers with chunks of white meat chicken and either grill or broil them.

Hoped this helped you out a little!

Deanna
Old 01-24-2010, 06:52 AM
FitDay Member

*pre-made bagged salads last longer than a head of lettuce.
* Buy a bag of shredded cabbage, add a handful of shredded cabbage to the bagged salad toss it all together for a ready made base. Make some coleslaw with the extra cabbage or add it to soup.
* a bag of prepared spinach is an excellent healthy addition to a salad, can also be used on sandwiches, in soup, or sauted in olive oil with onions, dried cranberries and nuts with a sprinkle of salt (try it before you scoff)
* Radishes with the stems removed last longer than most veggies, as do carrots.
* Sprouts are an attractive healthy addition to a salad and they are also nice on a sandwich, they last about a week in the fridge if bought fresh.
* Boil wheat berries like you would brown rice, add a handful to your salad, add them to soup, many uses, high in protien and fiber (once cooked I freeze them in muffin tins & individually wrap each portion for quick and easy use)
* sprinkle yeast flakes on your salad
* for me a must is dried cranberries on my salad
* slivered almonds are nice
* broccoli and califlower

all of the above items I buy either in the vegetable section or the bins in the health food section at the grocery store.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

First off, I am not a tupperware sales rep. However, their vegetable storage containers are amazing. I can buy veggies and keep them in their containers for at least 3 weeks. They are worth the investment in how much veggies you would normally have to throw away. I'm sorry to be a commercial, but I had to share.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by tthomas08
First off, I am not a tupperware sales rep. However, their vegetable storage containers are amazing. I can buy veggies and keep them in their containers for at least 3 weeks. They are worth the investment in how much veggies you would normally have to throw away. I'm sorry to be a commercial, but I had to share.
I have a set of 3 of those containers, you are right, they are amazing.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:39 AM
FitDay Member

Default frozen veggie mixes are your friends

I like to make pasta salads with frozen veggie mixes meant for stir fry. They're colorful, tasty and nutritious. Just thaw them and throw 'em in!

(For variety and cost, walmart has a good assortment of frozen mixes.)

Start with veggie pasta shapes (I like the organic veggie spirals, but any will do) toss with some light vinaigrette dressing (make your own or use Ken's Northern Italian light or one of the Newman's Own Lighten up flavors), some feta, maybe roasted red peppers, a few black or kalamata olives, freshly cracked pepper... yumm.

If you can get fresh herbs from your grocer, minced fresh mint and oregano make this taste amazing.

You could make these a little at a time and serve either chilled or warm. It will keep for a week in the fridge. You can also add diced tofu, grilled chicken or a few shrimp if you wanted to up the protein.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default basic greens every day

This might not be exciting to many of you but I do eat a salad every day - a really simple salad. Lettuce (red leaf or romaine - I think they keep the best) cleaned torn and tossed with the best olive oil and balsalmic vinegar I can afford and a little salt and pepper. Heaven and very easy to do every day. The key is the olive oil and vinegar, if you've never tried really good ones, you don't know what you're missing.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 AM
FitDay Member

I didn't read the whole thread....but, I have found out that bagged spinich not only lasts much, much longer than any lettuce it's also much, much better for you!

I love salads....will literally go out of my way for a good salad. lol
Old 02-20-2010, 05:02 AM
FitDay Member

Default Salad's

The salad i make are usually whit fish and chicken .
Most i costum a defaultroute recipie
U need :
Lettuce
Dressing
Egg's
Cumcumber
Tomato's
Onions
And chicken our fish ( tuna our salmon )

I start whit what lettuce that i cut in peace's , stripe's our blocks . Than i put in a dressing somethime's i make it self whit lemon juice and herbs . Than i choise something fish/chicken . Then i do some tomato's , cumcumber , onions raw , cooked egg's and somethime's muschrooms wel cooked . Than i scramble everything toghter and is my salad done .
If i use tuna i do tuna whit some mayonaise scramble this toghter and put it throw the salad .
If i use salmon i cook it our put it in the oven .
If i use chicken i cook it most of the time whit sesame oil and herbs and then scramble it in the salade .