Notices

Everything Protein Powder

Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 AM
FitDay Member

Smile

Originally Posted by siliconbased
About two years ago, I tried, on a whim, the Body Fortress stuff. Vanilla, with the 8 Grams of BCAA's - and I usually blend it in a blender with skim milk, and I generally only take 1 scoop in the morning.

My problem is that i'm like my mom, I wake up in the morning and I can go all the way until 11am before I'm really hungry enough. I know this is bad, so I take this mixture in the morning (and with Skim milk, it's actually quite tasty - but as I said in another thread, I like things other people find gross, so YMMV).

I find that if I take this once in the morning, say around 9am, I can go until 12:30-1pm before i need to eat anything. I can stretch it to 2pm if I get up around 10am.

I love the stuff - I don't get morning hunger pangs like I used to get without it, and they aren't as severe when it is time to eat, so I slow down, and I can get away with eating a more appropriately sized lunch for most folks than had I gone all morning without something and I binge on something to make up for the night & morning fasting.

If you take it with water, I can't speak for you - I think powdered anything in water is nasty as a general experience, but I love skim milk, so I mix whatever I want with that and it works out, and you get some nutrients with it too - as far as the ones that come in skim milk that is.

Oh and one other thing, I've found that if I need to mix things up a bit, Silk Very Vanilla (though it's a little high in sugar, so I try to watch it for the rest of the day) is also very good with this particular brand. If I alternate between the two, I keep things fairly balanced. My stomach doesn't have a problem with it in either case, though that may be because I only take 1 scoop each day.
Sounds like an good thing for you.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:46 AM
FitDay Member

One of the other things I've done is cut white flour out completely. I avoid HFCS by nature, but I've also cut "whole wheat" breads that used this in their bread loaves. It's amazing, but I do feel better when I can avoid these two things.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:56 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by siliconbased
About two years ago, I tried, on a whim, the Body Fortress stuff. Vanilla, with the 8 Grams of BCAA's - and I usually blend it in a blender with skim milk, and I generally only take 1 scoop in the morning.

My problem is that i'm like my mom, I wake up in the morning and I can go all the way until 11am before I'm really hungry enough. I know this is bad, so I take this mixture in the morning (and with Skim milk, it's actually quite tasty - but as I said in another thread, I like things other people find gross, so YMMV).

I find that if I take this once in the morning, say around 9am, I can go until 12:30-1pm before i need to eat anything. I can stretch it to 2pm if I get up around 10am.

I love the stuff - I don't get morning hunger pangs like I used to get without it, and they aren't as severe when it is time to eat, so I slow down, and I can get away with eating a more appropriately sized lunch for most folks than had I gone all morning without something and I binge on something to make up for the night & morning fasting.

If you take it with water, I can't speak for you - I think powdered anything in water is nasty as a general experience, but I love skim milk, so I mix whatever I want with that and it works out, and you get some nutrients with it too - as far as the ones that come in skim milk that is.

Oh and one other thing, I've found that if I need to mix things up a bit, Silk Very Vanilla (though it's a little high in sugar, so I try to watch it for the rest of the day) is also very good with this particular brand. If I alternate between the two, I keep things fairly balanced. My stomach doesn't have a problem with it in either case, though that may be because I only take 1 scoop each day.
Try Casein protein as it takes much longer to digest and will make you feel full for much longer.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:56 AM
FitDay Member

It is actually 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
FitDay Member

Hi guys

This is my first post here.

I use whey protein ( Dymatize Elite Whey ). Taking in 1gram per pound of lean mass per day will keep you feeling full and slow down muscle loss.

From experience, getting protein in me as early as possible helps me feel a lot fuller throughout the day. Hence why people like eggs in the morning.

Here is a link to a article that I hope will clear up any issues.

The Whey to Weight Loss! Can whey cause weight loss? Click here

cheers

Piers
Old 08-30-2010, 10:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default Everything Protein Powder

Why does my whey protein supplement say NOT to use it for weight loss?
Old 08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
FitDay Member

I think they don't want you to use the protein powder as a meal replacement for all of your meals and expect to lose weight (like Slim Fast or other "diet" products). Most powders aren't technically low calorie and meant for weight loss. They're meant to get more protein in the diet and support muscle growth. If used as part of a healthy diet, however, I think it may support weight loss.

Does that kind of answer your question? I'm no expert, but that's just my opinion. =)
Old 08-30-2010, 02:06 PM
FitDay Member

I agree with fletch, whey protein is not meant to be used as a meal replacement, but as a food supplement. I use it as a protein source, as part of my healthy whole foods diet. Whey protein is good when you don't feel like cooking or eating chicken, fish, steak or whatever your normal protein is.

And most importantly I have a whey protein shake after working out. Most bodybuilders are religious about their post workout nutrition, and if you are putting time in the gym trying to build muscle, you would benefit from post workout nutrition. This is the only time I can get away with drinking a gatorade.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
FitDay Member

What brand did you buy? You might want to check out the fat and carb content, which vary wildly from brand to brand. I have 4 different kinds in the house and 3 of them say something about helping with weight loss.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:15 AM
FitDay Member

Default Whey Protein Powder Question

I am basically using FitDay to count calories, stay under a certain amount each day, exercising and eating healthy in order to lose weight. I am sort of following South Beach eating because I think it is a healthy plan with good carbs, lean protein, etc., but keeping within my daily calorie limit. I have a good low carb cookbook and decided to try a couple of the recipes for some "treats." I made a great cheesecake, that was wonderful, then I decided to try a coffeecake recipe that called for almond flour and vanilla whey protein powder as a combo to subsititue for what would normally be flour.

So, off I went to buy the powder, got it home and started baking. Welllllll, then I looked at the ingredients of the powder, and it contains lots of sugars (fructose and other "-oses"). I was so disappointed by that as I didn't realize that it contained all of that sugar in one form or another. Guess I should have looked before I bought it and opened it!!

Is this the case with all whey protein powders? I bought this one from Trader Joe's. I actually reduced the amount of the powder and increased the amount of almond meal. I also reduced the amount of Splenda in the recipe and glad I did because it is sort of sweet and would reduce further next time. The cake is good and since I only eat a small piece, I guess the 1 cup of whey powder is well-divided amonth those pieces. But still, I'm trying to figure out if there is a sugar-free or lower carb whey powder available?

Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.