Everything Protein Powder >

Everything Protein Powder

Community
Notices

Everything Protein Powder

Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

You could look on amazon.com and go to the grocery section (there is such a section in the U.S. Amazon.com) and put in 'whey protein.' Then just look at each product, its price, its ingredients and make a choice. Or do the same thing in the supermarket. Amazon.com will just give you some background information on what's out there.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM
FitDay Member

Unlike you, I am not really going for particularly "low carb", but rather "high protein". I also have mild egg and milk allergies, so I decided to go with a pure whey protein without lactose or egg protein added in, as many powders have.

I use ON (Optimum Nutrition) Platinum Hydro Whey, vanilla flavor. It has 30 grams of protein in each scoop and 2 grams total carbohydrates (0 grams sugar). the ingredient list has a few "unpronouncables", but overall is much less scary than some of the other options at GNC.

I really, really like it and consider myself lucky to have found a good protein powder with relatively few "misses" in the process. That being said, people have really strong opinions about their protein powder and this may not be a winner for everyone.

Other people on the forums have suggested getting plain (unflavored, unprocessed) whey from a dairy or natural foods store. I have heard that this is much more cost effective and just as beneficial, but I am unsure of the specific nutrition information. It may be worth looking into, though...
Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 AM
FitDay Member

Thank you Kathy and Sailor for your quick replies and explanations. I will take a look more closely at whey protein products. I think I will check out GNC or another local place by me and see what they offer.

Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
FitDay Member

Rudy, I use a whey protein shake powder that's only 1 net carb (7g carbohydrate less 6g fiber) and less than 1g sugar. It's 180 calories, 6g fat, 25mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 200mg potassium, 24g protein per serving.

Comes in several flavors.

It's called Walker Diet Shake Mix and the only place I know to buy it is at vitacost.com. It's about $10.99 for an 18.25oz. cannister that makes 11 servings. Flat fee shipping is $4.99 per order.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 AM
FitDay Member

Hi! This is most certainly not the case and it is not the norm! I am a Supplement and Nutrition Consultant, and as such I deal with Protein Powder on a daily basis (all types) and have been in the industry for many years. I use them daily, whether it be in baking, shakes, post workout, desserts, or when customizing a specific plan for a client. Most Whey Isolates will not have added sugar and they are also 90% pure protein, giving you great value per serving. Generally drugstore, grocery store types have sugar because they are cheaper quality. If there is a particular protein you are wanting to try, let me know and I can definitely recommend quite a few excellent products! Be careful of misleading claims like "low carb" on the label- they are ALL usually low carb (if they're whey protein, isolate especially). If you still have the one with sugar, I would use it post workout, as your body utilizes the sugar efficiently and needs it to repair muscle tissue and restore your glycogen stores.
Good luck on your goals!!!
Barbara
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Barbara, I also use a whey protein isolate and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:05 AM
FitDay Member

Hi...

As a vegetarian I need to supplement with Whey Protein that is from a vegetarian rennet source. I found Jarrow Formulas unflavored whey protein to be excellent. It is fairly inexpensive and has very low sugar / carbs.

One 23g scoop of Jarrow Formulas Whey Protein has:

94 - calories
2g - carbohydrates
1g - sugars
18g - protein
42mg - sodium

Ingredients: 100% ultrafiltered whey protein from milk and lecithin (from soy).

No wheat, gluten, egg, fish, peanuts, tree nuts, artificial flavors, sweeteners.

This may be a good option for you! Best of luck!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

This might be a dump question but whatever I have to ask.

I never use whey protein or any kind of supliments in my diet. So, what is the benefit of having whey protein? How do you make it? Do you use it for as a meal replacement or snack? Would you have to cut back the cals from other food?
I want to try this, maybe it will be something to help me to meet my goal.
Any input will help me. Thanks
Mai
Old 04-14-2011, 06:36 AM
FitDay Member

Whey protein is great to have in your diet. Depending upon the kind you purchase will determine the calorie content. It will have approximately 120 calories with water. If you are exercising, protein is needed for recovery. Many people do not get enough protein in their diet. You can look to see how much protein you should have for your body weight. I lift weights and take it for muscle recovery after my workouts. It helps to repair the muscle fibers and decreases the recovery time. Maybe check out bodybuilding.com for a more detailed explaination on protein.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
FitDay Member

Protein is the building block of all life.

Your body needs proteins to survive. The average adult needs around 45-65 grams of protein a day. Protein deficiency can lead to serious problems.

People use protein supplements such as Whey Protein or Soy Protein to increase the protein content in their diet, especially vegans/vegetarians and weight-lifters/athletes.

However if your body doesn't need protein to build muscles (because you aren't exercising enough or are OVER-supplementing with protein) it will quickly turn to fat which is something you need to consider, in addition to consulting with your primary care physician to make sure your kidney and liver function is OK and can support the extra workload a protein supplement will be giving them!

Read this page for more info: Protein (nutrient) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.