Notices

Protein recommendations?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:03 AM
FitDay Member

Eggs, particularly the whites are good. White fish isn't too fishy-tasting, things like orange roughy. I really like tiapia, very meaty texture and a mild flavor. Perch is another nice one if you can find it where you're at. A nice spicy or tomato sauce helps to kill the "fishyness" too. Sometimes I'll grab a few slices of lunch meat as a snack. Check your local deli, there's gluten and preservative free options these days. Beans are awesome, chickpeas, hummus (which is made from chickpeas and is a dip). I don't use protein shakes or powders either, occasionally maybe a bottled shake for convenience. Low fat dairy is good, greek yogurt is absolutely AWESOME. Nuts and seeds are another good protein source, but you are going to get a good portion of fat with that. They're healthy fats though.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 AM
FitDay Member

Cottage cheese, yogurt and dried beans are great sources of protein. Lentils have the highest protein % of the beans. As Lizzy mentioned, eggs are a great protein source and not just for breakfast. Hard boiled as portable snack or included in a salad they can add quality protein.

Stir fry your meat with a variety of vegetables. Add some soy sauce garlic and ginger or five spice powder for a asian variety. Stir fry with zuchinni or yellow squash, garlic, tomatoes, onions and peppers with a bit of oregano and basil for a Italian spin. Stir fry beef with bell peppers, onions, taco seasoning. some crushed red pepper or cayenne and cumin for a mexican spin.

I like chicken and pork grilled with some garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Hope this helps!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 AM
FitDay Member

Might be a bit pricey, but bison is leaner and more "beefy" (more muscle/protein, pound for pound) than cattle beef.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 AM
FitDay Member

how about adding a handful of bean sprouts to ur regular salad !!!!! i do tat everyday to keep in count of my protein intake....

also i take equal ratios of rice and beans/lentils during me meals.... tis helps me keep my rice intake under control... ( CARBS )
Old 10-13-2010, 11:54 AM
FitDay Member

I'm not really sure why your against using protein powders and bars, some of them are pretty yummy. I put 1/2 a scoop of chocolate protein powder in my coffee every morning, it helps me recover from my morning workout and helps to capitalize on all that torture I put myself through before the sun came up. Also for those days when I'm on the run all day long a little chocolate deluxe protein bar is the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. I don't use any of the powders or bars for meal replacement, more like a supplement or healthy snack when I don't have time to scramble eggs or we're out of Greek yogurt.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:06 AM
FitDay Member

Default need some tips on adding protein

OK got the first week under my belt so to speak. It seems my diet is lacking about 1/3 the amount of suggested protein. Allergic to fish. I am eating so much chicken my eyes are closing from the bottom up and I am scratching the floor after using the bathroom. Any suggestions?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM
FitDay Member

How about eggs? Omelettes and scrambles taste great if you throw some spinach and bacon into them. There's a whole thread in the food section I believe on omelette recipes.

Cheese and milk are also high in protein.

Other sources are potatoes (believe it or not), beans, peas, nuts, beef, pork, turkey.

Are you also allergic to shellfish? They're not so high in protein but still have some. Lobster, shrimp, crab, prawns, mussels, oysters, clams, etc.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
FitDay Member

Thanks Nik ,I went out and picked up some egg whites for a spinach and roma tomato omelette
Old 01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
FitDay Member

Greek yogurt is also a great source for protein, there are also protein bars, shakes and powders. Just make sure you read the labels.
Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM
FitDay Member

I want to give some tips on a protein.My belt is very tightly before two month ago.Then i start to take protein milk and protein food.I do spam daily in the morning.All my friend insulted me because I was very fat but after taking protein diet No anybody say to me fat.

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 01-06-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.