Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Protein recommendations? >

Protein recommendations?

Community
Notices

Protein recommendations?

Old 06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
FitDay Member

Actually tuna is the best way I've found for upping my protein intake. It has 42.6 grams of protein per can, 100 calories, 1 gram of fat, and costs about $.59. I haven't found a protein powder or bar that can compete with that, but then again tuna doesn't taste good blended in a smoothie...
Old 06-29-2010, 01:13 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by almeeker
Actually tuna is the best way I've found for upping my protein intake. It has 42.6 grams of protein per can, 100 calories, 1 gram of fat, and costs about $.59. I haven't found a protein powder or bar that can compete with that, but then again tuna doesn't taste good blended in a smoothie...

Wow, I'm gonna move to Michigan! Here in CA, a 5 oz can of tuna cost $1.25. And that's on sale! (I just looked at Safeway.com.) I can't remember the last time I found something in the grocery store for under a dollar.

Anyway, you're right about tuna. I like to keep a good supply on hand. I feel a little bad about eating it every day because it's full of mercury, apparently. Even so, I'm at the point where I'm willing to suffer a little brain damage in order to get some of this weight off, because it's affecting my health in other ways (high bp, foot problems).

I never used to pay attention to my protein intake, but I'm trying to build muscle--or at least not lose muscle instead of fat. It turns out most of my life I've been eating about 10% of my calories from protein, so it's been a challenge to find new hp foods, since that's not what I naturally want to eat.

I'm not into the protein powder thing. Nonfat milk is about as sludgy a thing I'm willing to drink. (Well, a nice proper ice-cream shake wouldn't go amiss now and then, but that's besides the point. ) But people talking about whey reminded me that I ought to mention cottage cheese. It's quite low in fat, and high in protein. It makes a good snack, imo.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:23 PM
FitDay Member

Default Been lurking for a while...

...my sister turned me on to FitDay about a couple months ago. I wanted to jump into this because I've been trying to get my protein up also. I shoot for 30% - 35% but more often get to about 25%.

I have a question about the tuna. My can is 5 ounces (or 5.5 maybe). It is 140 calories and about 24 g. protein. What kind of tuna is 100 calories and 42 grams protein?? I thought they were all pretty much the same.
Old 06-30-2010, 02:34 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by CNN1067
...I have a question about the tuna. My can is 5 ounces (or 5.5 maybe). It is 140 calories and about 24 g. protein. What kind of tuna is 100 calories and 42 grams protein?? I thought they were all pretty much the same.
I looked in my pantry, Bumble Bee brand packed in water is 26g protein and 100 calories. (Since protein is approximately 4 calories per gram that would make about 100 calories.) Is your's packed in oil instead of water? That would account for the higher calories.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 AM
FitDay Member

I'm holding a can of StarKist. It is chunk white albacore; maybe that's the difference. It says a serving is 2 oz. drained and there are 2 servings in the can. Total cals per serving is 70...so 140 for the can. It is packed in water. Total protein is 12g. so 24 for the can.

Even with your numbers I can't figure out where almeeker gets 42 grams per can unless he's eating a big one.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
FitDay Member

...Even with your numbers I can't figure out where almeeker gets 42 grams per can unless he's eating a big one.
I believe it was probably just a typo. By the way almeeker is female.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 AM
FitDay Member

My starkist brand tuna is 4.5 oz per can (which makes two servings), but it is 50 cal a serving an about 12g protein. You can have the whole can for only 100 cals (but it still doesn't give you that 40+g of protein so maybe that was a typo). I buy the low sodium, chunk light style. Not sure on the price but it's surely not breaking the bank. And it's canned so that's something I can stock up on when it is on sale.

Same goes for canned chicken. It's a little higher in the fat and calorie department, but still a fast snack, or I make chicken salad ahead of time and stuff it into pita bread with a handful of spinach leaves for a quick lunch.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

I have a question about the tuna. My can is 5 ounces (or 5.5 maybe). It is 140 calories and about 24 g. protein. What kind of tuna is 100 calories and 42 grams protein?? I thought they were all pretty much the same.
Oops, my bad. It's the larger can that has 42.6 grams of protein, 174 calories, and runs $.89. The smaller can is 100 calories, 26 grams of protein and costs $.59. Sav-A-Lot has a water packed variety at those prices everyday, but when I can get it cheaper on sale somewhere else I stock it up to the rafters.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
FitDay Member

Default How do I get more protein (naturally) ???

I am new to FitDay and looking to add a lot more protein into my diet. That is the one stat I am always way off on.

I am 30 years old, female and about 50 lbs overweight. I really really don't want to go to powders and protein bars as I am looking for a diet I can maintain (forever!). I don't want to be buying that stuff long-term.

I do eat some chicken breast and ground beef and pork but need to get some new recipes or different ways to incorporate them. The one thing is I don't eat is seafood - I know that doesn't help. I forced myself to eat one bite of tuna on a piece of toast the other day - and believe me that was quite an accomplishment.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 AM
FitDay Member

Hi there

If you like chicken, another source of protein that you might like is turkey. I use 99% lean ground turkey in place of beef to make burgers and things - 4oz is 150 cals, 1.5 grams of fat, and about 23 grams of protein (significantly leaner than beef, and a very tasty substitute).

It also depends on what kind of diet you're doing. Lacto-vegetarians use dairy product and beans as a protein source, but those foods have more carbs than protein, so for a gluten-free diet, those sources count as carbs (as well as veggies

Best wishes!!

Final weight (4/23/10) 150

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.