Notices

Protein recommendations?

Old 03-30-2010, 01:46 AM
FitDay Member

I've been using nuts to boost my protein levels. They aren't quite as high as Greek yogurt and they do have some fat, but it's the good fats you need in your diet. They also provide certain nutrients that are found in other foods, but in much lower percentages. My faves are almonds, cashews and Brazil nuts. It's very hard to stop at a 1 oz serving, so generally I use them in other dishes like salad and stir fry.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:35 AM
FitDay Member

Default How can I increase my protein intake?

Hi everyone!

I've started using Fitday about a week ago and have since logged in every food I've eaten. I started restricting my calorie intake to 1200 - 1300 cals a day (though I sometimes eat a bit more, sometimes a bit less), but seem to have huge problems getting enough protein. My daily protein intake is usually below 12% which seems way too low. I like eggs, but I could never imagine eating them on a daily basis, same applies to meat. Any advices as to what I should eat to increase my protein intake?

Thanks for your help!!

Best Wishes,
Molly
Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 AM
FitDay Member

hi,
non fat cottage cheese is almost totally protein.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 AM
FitDay Member

Welcome to FitDay and congrats on logging everything for a week! Keep up the good work!

I don't eat meat so I struggled with getting enough protein at first as well, but now I consistently get 30% or more of my calories from protein, and the weight is practically falling off!

Here are some ways I get protein:
- Hard-boiled egg whites
- Morningstar or Boca veggie products
- Low fat string cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Edamame (cooked from frozen or dry roasted)
- Cottage cheese
- Almonds
- PB2 (powdered peanut butter that you mix with water...way less sugar and fat than regular peanut butter!)
- Fish
- Milk and/or soy milk
- Tofu
- Beans (garbanzo beans are great in salads)

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I try to keep my carbs below 50% and the rest is healthy fats (from almonds, salmon, olive oil, etc.).

Hope that helps. Best of luck to you!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a link to the thread with the same topic that was active a while back:

http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...endations.html
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 AM
FitDay Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks guys,

your advice is greatly appreciated!

Molly
Old 05-03-2010, 06:02 AM
FitDay Member

My fave "go-to" proteins are:

tuna
deviled eggs
cottage cheese (either fat-free or low fat)
Greek yogurt (especially love the brand called Fage 0%)
low-fat, low-cal yogurt
nuts (especially almonds)
low-fat cheese
Spiru-Tein chocolate protein powder (I stir it into my coffee and make a "muscle mocha")
chicken
light turkey/chicken/ham cold cuts
skim milk, soy milk, almond milk
New England clam chowder
tilapia
finger jello

When I'm really low on protein, I'll "double-up" on them, like I'll put both cottage cheese and tuna on my salad, or 2 cans of tuna, or I'll make a taco salad with Greek yogurt and chicken (and maybe even a little rf cheese on top). Upping your protein is a little tricky, I'm finding that in order to get the right amount I'm at 4-7 servings/day.

Last edited by almeeker; 05-03-2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM
FitDay Member

In addition to the info that has been posted, on the days that I am falling behind on my protien intake, I will grab a protien bar as well. There are some good ones out there that will give you 20g of protien for around 180-200 calories.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:42 AM
FitDay Member

I had the same problem myself. Here are some of the foods that I make a daily part of my meal plans:

- protein shake (18 grams)
- Think Thin protein bar (20 grams - these are GREAT - no sugar! most protein bars are loaded w/ sugar so they're as bad as eating candy bars)
- tuna
- chicken breast
- Greek yogurt (approx. 15-18 grams - I buy Voskos Greek Yogurt)
- Egg Beaters
Old 05-05-2010, 05:08 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, as someone else facing the same issue - thanks for all the great information guys!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.