Go Back   FitDay Discussion Boards > FOOD > Food talk
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #91 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLiftingYeti View Post
lentils and beans
are missing some amino acids - on their own, they're 'incomplete' proteins. To complete the protein, eat brown rice or bread within a few hours of eating the lentils.

Protein - Complete and Incomplete

Complementary Protein

How to Make a Complete Protein Without Eating Any Meat | eHow.com
pinenutcasserole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #92 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Default Having a hard time getting enough protein

Maybe it's not chicken you're tired of.....just tired of using the same recipes all the time? You can use most any recipe & sub chicken for the meat required.PL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliochacon View Post
Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I will try some of them.
patcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #93 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Turkey breast is great... You can get some cuts of lean beef... Or even a protein supplement.

I get most of my protein from the above, chicken, and tuna. I'm not a big fan of seafood, but I LOVE tuna, and there's a ton of protein in it.
tommy723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #94 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcee View Post
Maybe it's not chicken you're tired of.....just tired of using the same recipes all the time? You can use most any recipe & sub chicken for the meat required.PL
I agree. I eat chicken alot. I buy the frozen bags of boneless skinless breast at kroger. I use it for stir frys, chicken tacos with corn tortillas, put it in chili, etc. I also substitute ground turkey (the extra lean kind) for ground beef for most ground beef dishes. I have to have the occasional sirloin burger because I have been unsuccessful in making turkey burgers. For adding in protein I put whey protein in my coffee in the morning. I started this a couple months ago because I saw a suggestion somewhere on this site to put it in coffee.

Patti
path75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #95 (permalink)
FitDay Member

I was the same way. I looked up homemade protein bars on youtube. They are pretty good if you can get past the vitamin taste of the protein powder. Actually, it doesn't bother me. These have 8 scoops protein powder, 1 packet of sugar free vanilla pudding mix, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and some oatmeal.

If you are interested, go to youtube and type in "craig and ally protein bars".

Thanks.
collegefbfan8898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #96 (permalink)
FitDay Member

buy some protein powder. Try and stomach a serving a day (i cant stand the stuff, it's awful) and that will get you 25-30grams of protein a day.

I buy the chocolate and add a serving to oatmeal with some cinnamon and chopped apples. It's actually pretty good and super easy to make.
optiquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #97 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiquest View Post
buy some protein powder. Try and stomach a serving a day (i cant stand the stuff, it's awful) and that will get you 25-30grams of protein a day.

I buy the chocolate and add a serving to oatmeal with some cinnamon and chopped apples. It's actually pretty good and super easy to make.
The best use for this is to do this 20 minutes after a work out. My favorite source of proten is turkey and pork loin. I'll smoke them on my day off and that way I have plenty of meat for the week.
VTC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #98 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliochacon View Post
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm hoping for suggestions. I'm getting tired of chicken. I don't care for eggs or seafood so what can I do to get more protein?
Found a better healthy high protein snack. Low fat chips, pretzels or whatever, dipped in mix of non-fat refried beans or hummus, with equal amount of fat free sour cream. I use more dip than the snack. Adds some calcium, lots of fiber as well.
jean@fbcom.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:17 PM   #99 (permalink)
FitDay Member

For dinner last night I had 2 servings of cookies & cream flavored protein powder from Optimum Nutrition (Gold Standard) with 6 oz almond milk, 2 oz heavy whipping cream, and 1 raw egg ...all blended with ice. Lots of the good stuff (fat/protein), (almost) none of the bad (carb)! And I woke up the next morning 2 lbs lighter.
gi8e7oi825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #100 (permalink)
FitDay Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by path75 View Post
For adding in protein I put whey protein in my coffee in the morning. I started this a couple months ago because I saw a suggestion somewhere on this site to put it in coffee.
I've never heard of that, sounds like a great idea. Gonna have to check that out, thanks!

Started: 3/17/11 ~ 199
7/18//11 ~ 155

12/1/12 ~ 159 (I think my ideal weight)

2/28/13 ~ 174

8/28/13 ~ 174 getting back on track!!!
ZoeDuc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
protein, protein shake, protein sources, recipes, soy