Notices

Alcohol and Food Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
FitDay Member

Default Alcohol and Food Talk

So I decided to have a beer at a show I was just at. I looked up the calories and totally budgeted for it. I am such a "lightweight" ( I hate that term) that one beer gets me buzzed. Anyways I get home and totally think "I want to eat, that would totally be comforting when I am drunk!". I ate one meatball, two bites of toffee and a fudgesicle before I told myself to stop because it wasn't comforting and I didn't want to not reach my goal and I couldn't identify what I was hungry for. It wasn't a full binge and I stopped it!

The next time I decide to have a beer, I am going straight to bed, no drunk eating!
Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 AM
FitDay Premium Member

I could probably name myself, Ilikebeer&wine. Not that I am a total drunk, but a glass as I prepare dinner and a glass with dinner have been standard practice in our house. I totally agree that alcohol increases food intake and in my case I am pretty certain that it interferes with fat metabolism (there is a fair amount of scientific literature that supports this) So, sadly, but gladly, it is pretty much off the table for me. It was a little hard at first, especially because DH is still imbibing as usual. But now that the habit is broken I'm fine with it.

Anyone else out there share this issue?
Old 03-06-2010, 02:46 AM
FitDay Member

Oh, I soooo enjoy a drink after a rough day. However, I noticed 1 drink leads to another for me. It's been hard on weekends because when we go out to eat, we order a drink before our meal. It's hard but it's useless calories for me. I just have to "weigh" it out every time: social/unwind or save calorie intake.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:22 AM
FitDay Member

I so know that feeling of do I relax and enjoy myself... or do I save the calories. I try to budget in a glass of wine or beer, but have to be aware that it is likely that I might eat more and fight it. You so much have to 'weight" the options out, some times it is worth it, other times it may not be.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:38 AM
FitDay Member

Reading this thread reminds me of college. My boyfriend (now husband) played football so it was a party every night we could. After a good night of drinking we ALWAYS went to Wal-Mart and got a frozen pizza, threw it in the oven and mowed down on it before we went to bed. Looking back, i want to go slap myself for doing that! haha. Now i don't have a problem with controlling the drinking and eating, but my husband does (he's gotten a lot better though). So i am REALLY challenged to not give in to my own drunken hungrer AND to resist when he is giving in. To help I've basically cleaned the house of most snacking materials and just have veggies and fruit everywhere, so i don't feel bad if i do give in a bit.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:27 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Oh, the dinners out - especially with a group of friends I can't really live by hard and fast rules, but in general I can resist during the week, but allow myself an indulgence on the weekend. It is so nice to see that others share the "do I do, or do I don't" delemna.

I have recently notices that although the husband continues to enjoy his nightly drinks, without my participation he is slowing down some. I'm not sure that he has even noticed.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:34 AM
FitDay Member

Interesting note about the fat metabolism - I just started fit day again for the second time Feb. 28 and am a little down that my loss seems slower than last time, just 1.5 lbs to date and I have done a decent job, even under on some days. Anyway, I decided not to compromise on drinking and allow for 2 or more 55 cal beers a day. It doesn't make me crave more food thank God, but if it means it takes me longer, I guess I'll have to live with it.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Incentive to get and stay at target weight:

OK, ladies, a new study indicates that women who are within their correct BMI gain less weight when the enjoy a drink or two:

Women Who Consume Alcohol Gain Less Weight: Study
Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
FitDay Member

I don't believe the occasional glass of wine is going to slow down fat loss, but google "fat loss and alcohol" to see the facts. Drinking nightly will absolutely slow down fat loss. Additionally, studies show that those who drink daily tend to store more visceral fat (belly). That increases risk of heart disease. Sorry to be a party pooper guys but gotta be honest.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Not a party pooper at all, Beth

I wasn't really talking about 1 or 2 glasses a week, or even a couple of glasses on an occassional Friday night. My comment about fat metabolism was aimed at the kind of consumption you noted: the day in, day out 2 or 3 glasses, which was my habit prior to mid-January. Before starting this round of weight reduction, everytime I tried to lose weight I would get tripped up by a frothy glass of beer - which would turn into 2 or 3. Even when I was keeping the calories at 1500ish, I couldn't lose weight, especially body fat. Sadly, I have a high tolerance for alcohol so I rarely feel drunk even though I couldn't pass a sobriety test to save my life.

At this point I keep my consumption to 1, maybe 2 glasses a week, mostly on the weekends. And I gotta say it seems to be working. Maybe it is all in my head. If so... way to go head!
Pam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.