FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   What foods do you eat in order to lose weight? (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/1431-what-foods-do-you-eat-order-lose-weight.html)

zorba1331 07-27-2010 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 16921)
I agree with you Almeeker. If I give up grains all together, my digestive system goes out of whack. Of course I totally avoid anything white, refined or processed but small portions of healthy grains are good for me.

Please explain-how your digestive system 'goes out of whack'. I would like to hear your no grain experience from the past. There are no such thing as healthy grains. We don't need them. Read the above posted links or clarity. I see you are overweight and have only lost 10lbs since mid-may. Cutting out grains, fighting through the first 2 weeks of withdrawl from carbs/sugars will be a challenge, but once you are beyond that, you will reach your goal weight with relative ease. Grains=carbs=insulin spikes=fat storage. It really is as simple as that.

Of course what you eat is super important but exercise is just as important. I don't have a very good metabolism and if I don't exercise, I simply do not lose weight. I have been running 3X week, doing Jillian Michael's "30 Day Shred" 3X week and I add at least 2 power walks to that per week. It seems like a lot but the 30 Day Shred is a 20-minute workout and easy to squeeze into my morning routine.
Weight loss is 80% diet-related. You are working out a LOT and I feel you are getting limited results. It doesn't have to be as difficult as it has been. There is a way to lose weight, get healthy and eat as much great food as you want for the rest of your life. Your goal weight will come and go with little notice.

Keep your carbs to between 50-100 grams per day and the weight will drop off. That is, however, very difficult for grain eaters since a cup of oatmeal is 32 grams per carbs and two pieces of whole wheat bread is around 24 grams. Seems like a pretty healthy breakfast but one meal puts you at 56 grams of carbs--over half of you daily intake! What do I have for breakfast pretty much daily? Bacon and eggs or a huge omlette loaded with meats and veggies. Maybe some blueberries with some full fat greek yogurt if I feel like it.

At that rate throughout the day it is VERY difficult to have any kind of meaningful deficit without totally starving yourself. Nobody can sustain eating so little which is why pretty much everyone fails at their 'diet'. Who wants to eat like a mouse? Not me.

msgretchann 07-27-2010 10:52 AM

I think its important to have a balanced diet in order to lose weight, but more importantly to keep it off. There is strong scientific evidence that those who eat whole grains on a regular basis can reduce their risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Its very important to have whole grains in your diet to stay healthy and reach weight loss goals.

If you are serious about losing weight consider your intensity level in your workouts. Are you building a "serious sweat" during your workouts, this can be an indication that your workout aren't hard enough.

zorba1331 07-28-2010 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by msgretchann (Post 16983)
I think its important to have a balanced diet in order to lose weight, but more importantly to keep it off. There is strong scientific evidence that those who eat whole grains on a regular basis can reduce their risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and cancer. Its very important to have whole grains in your diet to stay healthy and reach weight loss goals.

Source??

Quite the opposite, in fact. People with diabetes, high blood pressure, allergies, arthritis, obesity, inflammation, heart disease, lupus, and the list goes on.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-g...are-unhealthy/

A case study:

G7 Stories - Veronica Garza on Vimeo

Not only are they not on their drugs anymore, they don't suffer from the same ailments. Grains and processed foods are a major reason for the onset of these ailments.

If you are serious about losing weight consider your intensity level in your workouts. Are you building a "serious sweat" during your workouts, this can be an indication that your workout aren't hard enough.
80% of weight loss is dietary.

mtlgirl 07-28-2010 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by zorba1331 (Post 16939)
Please explain-how your digestive system 'goes out of whack'. I would like to hear your no grain experience from the past. There are no such thing as healthy grains. We don't need them. Read the above posted links or clarity. I see you are overweight and have only lost 10lbs since mid-may. Cutting out grains, fighting through the first 2 weeks of withdrawl from carbs/sugars will be a challenge, but once you are beyond that, you will reach your goal weight with relative ease. Grains=carbs=insulin spikes=fat storage. It really is as simple as that.

Okay you have definitely piqued my interest... I have tried to eliminate grains and once I do, I get constipated. To me that is not a healthy reaction.

As for me "only losing 10lbs since mid-May," your advice would be much better received if you didn't communicate so condescendingly. May 26th was my start date and that is not midway through the month. I have lost 11 pounds in exactly 9 weeks and I am happy with that. Unfortunately it is difficult for me to lose weight but for an overweight person, I am in very good shape. I have NEVER had high blood pressure, high cholesterol or any health problems of any kind. I keep my carb intake around 40% and I eat natural whole foods like fruits, vegetables, lean protein including fish, chicken and lamb. I avoid anything white, bleached or enriched.

I think sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing and I am always open to learning something new so I will click on some of the links you have provided, however I will never believe that bacon and eggs is a healthy breakfast. I do love Greek yogurt though!

almeeker 07-28-2010 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 17066)
Okay you have definitely piqued my interest... I have tried to eliminate grains and once I do, I get constipated. To me that is not a healthy reaction.

When we eliminated gluten in our house I swung wildly from constipation to the trots, with no middle ground. Neither end of that spectrum is a comfortable or healthy way to live. Truthfully I've always had a touchy GI system, and the only time in my life I've been "regular" is when I have a low-fat, low-cal, low-carb, high protein diet, which includes 1-2 small servings of whole grains. This works for me, and I will never be convinced that the GI rollercoaster that a grain-free diet had me riding is "better" or "healthier" for my body.

zorba1331 07-28-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by mtlgirl (Post 17066)

You might want to read this:

Why Do Doctors Recommend Fiber For Constipation When The Federal Drug Administration Says It Is Against The LaWhy Do Doctors Recommend Fiber?

As for me "only losing 10lbs since mid-May," your advice would be much better received if you didn't communicate so condescendingly. May 26th was my start date and that is not midway through the month. I have lost 11 pounds in exactly 9 weeks and I am happy with that.
That's great. I bet you would be happier with more, right? 2-3 lbs is reasonable, healthy and attainable weight loss.

Unfortunately it is difficult for me to lose weight but for an overweight person, I am in very good shape.
Of course it is, it is difficult for ANYONE to lose weight and still eat grains. You are working against yourself.

I have NEVER had high blood pressure, high cholesterol or any health problems of any kind. I keep my carb intake around 40% and I eat natural whole foods like fruits, vegetables, lean protein including fish, chicken and lamb. I avoid anything white, bleached or enriched.
White or brown grains are grains and they break down to the same thing=sugar. Your insulin level spikes and unless you are lacing up your shoes to run for a long time, it will get stored as fat.

I think sharing knowledge is a wonderful thing and I am always open to learning something new so I will click on some of the links you have provided, however I will never believe that bacon and eggs is a healthy breakfast. I do love Greek yogurt though!
There are LOADS of people on that site who have lost and continue to lose loads of weight while enjoying uncured bacon and Omega 3 laden eggs daily.

Before and after pics

Conventional wisdom used to say eggs were bad, now they are good but without the yolk, now the yolk is good. It is very confusing isn't it?

The reality is you are overweight and are looking to lose weight. Here is a good question: How did you get overweight to begin with? How about try something different! If you want something different, do something different and you might be pleasantly surprised. What have you really got to lose but...well...weight???!

I apologize if you feel I have been condescending, but the reality is people don't need grains. 66% of americans are fat due to their belief in conventional wisdom regarding their diet and their unwillingness to let go of ideals that have never really worked for them in the first place.

zorba1331 07-28-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by almeeker (Post 17077)
When we eliminated gluten in our house I swung wildly from constipation to the trots, with no middle ground. Neither end of that spectrum is a comfortable or healthy way to live. Truthfully I've always had a touchy GI system, and the only time in my life I've been "regular" is when I have a low-fat, low-cal, low-carb, high protein diet, which includes 1-2 small servings of whole grains.

You also ought to read this:

Why Do Doctors Recommend Fiber For Constipation When The Federal Drug Administration Says It Is Against The LaWhy Do Doctors Recommend Fiber?

This works for me, and I will never be convinced that the GI rollercoaster that a grain-free diet had me riding is "better" or "healthier" for my body.
Yeah...but you also believe that cows are fed grass and all that stuff...

Independent Lens . KING CORN . Corn-Fed: Cows and Corn | PBS

midwestj 07-29-2010 05:53 AM

First of to say Americans are fat because they eat too many whole grains that break down into sugar is silly. I don't think anyone out there is getting fat off rye bread and oatmeal. Secondly all food that is not protein, or fat, breaks down to sugar or indigestible cellulose, so tell us to avoid grains because they break down into sugar is also silly.

Zorba we get it that you are a fanatic of mark's daily apple, but you need to take a step off your soap box and stop talking down to the members here. Many members here have achieved REAL DOCUMENTED weight loss, using many different methods, to go around telling them they are wrong and only your method is right, is more than a little conceded.

You should try being more polite. Suggestions are helpful and encouragement is even better, but when I read most of your posts I dislike the mood. I think the way you post your messages is very unbecoming of fitday. If you are going to continue to preach mark's daily apple up and down these boards how about you start off by making your log public, and document your weight loss for us.

yauncin 07-29-2010 07:32 AM

@midwestj
You know, I've been expecting this.

@zorba1331
Not that I haven't found your posts interesting, but people don't like to be told they are wrong all the time. And while I know you are trying to be helpful, tone is everything when communicating with our fellow human beings. Also be careful in making "Mark's Daily Apple" a panacea. It's not that I don't agree with a lot of points which have been made but the biochemistry of the human body is very complex. We are only just now beginning to understand it.

midwestj 07-29-2010 08:33 AM

just trying to prevent these boards from going sour