Notices

Get Thee to the Greek!! and Great Recipes

Old 05-05-2016, 04:58 AM
FitDay Member

Default Get Thee to the Greek!! and Great Recipes

Yogurt has been a large part of the American diet for a long time, and over the years we’ve seen all kinds of variations on this dairy tradition: from decadently flavored yogurt cups like key lime pie and dutch chocolate cake – to fun, rainbow-colored, easy-to-handle, kid-centric yogurt that can be pushed out of a tube.

Growing up on traditional American yogurt, it always seemed that no brand could get it right. The light version was too artificial; the regular version had as many calories as a candy bar. But less than ten years ago, a new style of yogurt hit grocery store shelves. Greek yogurt’s impressive nutritional profile was definitely worth a toss in my shopping cart! Rich and flavorful, it was love at first bite. And I wasn’t the only one who fell hard.

Market sales for Greek yogurt have increased over 100% in each of the last three years – one of the fastest market growths that the food and beverage industry has ever seen. And we owe it all to an age-old tradition of straining yogurt that people throughout the Mediterranean and Middle East have used for centuries.

The process is simple. Regular yogurt is strained multiple times through a fine mesh strainer, and the whey, lactose and sugar settle to the bottom. What’s left on top is a dense and creamy style yogurt that is lower in sugar, carbohydrates, and sodium. With an average of 20 grams of protein per cup, versus 10 grams per cup for the American style, this protein-packed food is perfect for a post or pre-workout meal, or as a filling and satisfying mid-day snack.

Worried about your dairy intake? It’s still worth giving it a go. The lactose sugar in dairy foods is what many people have trouble digesting, but since Greek yogurt is strained, and is much lower in lactose than traditional yogurt, it makes it an excellent option to try for people suffering from lactose intolerance.

So the next time you go to the grocery store, spend a few minutes salivating in the yogurt section. With so many different brands and flavors, and with versions that range from fat free to full fat to anything in between, there is surely one that will make you ga-ga for Greek. But, please don’t pass by “plain.” It is anything but boring, and is actually my personal fave. Not only is its distinct tart flavor delicious on its own, it is also crazy versatile. A true MVP among all my refrigerated foods!

Enjoy Greek yogurt sweet or savory. Use it as a replacement for mayonnaise in tuna salad, or mix it with freshly grated horseradish, and drizzle on new potatoes. Blend it into smoothies, add fruit and granola for a solid breakfast, or substitute Greek yogurt for eggs and oil in your favorite baking recipes. Try one of the following recipes from my site at The options are endless. God bless the Greek!

Last edited by 01gt4.6; 05-05-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

I removed your links. Please click on the "advertise" button at the top right if you'd like to become a paying advertiser. Thank you for your understanding.