Notices

Soup recipes?

Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM
FitDay Member

Thumbs up

I found this great recipe for cabbage soup Bacon And Cabbage Soup Recipe but I varied it a little . Instead of Irish bacon I used bacon bits, less than a half of pound of ground beef, added chopped onions and still kept true to the other ingredients. My kids loved it, it was so good! I had tried cabbage soup years ago but this one turned out so good. Looking forward to eating more tomorrow .

Looks yummy!!! I wonder if it would work with ham instead of bacon? I have a little ham in the freezer, might be worth a shot eh?

This is similar to the cabbage soup I posted in 100+ but instead of bacon I used chicken. And I didnt add potatoes because of the carb content but added veggies instead

Tell me how you lost your weight and how long it took.
This is inspiring. :0)

Bacon and or any meat in Cabbage soup seems odd. I just cooked a cabbage soup recently for the first time from the Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary cookbook. It was delicious.

LOL--I did the "cabbage Soup" diet once--haven't had it since and don't think I ever will again. Cabbage IS good in 'slaw, though. Hmm--anyone got a good low cal recipe for that?

Regards,
Michael

If you are going to use bacon bits make sure you get real bacon and crumble it yourself or double-check the ingredients to make sure you're getting real bacon. I heard recently that BacOs are mostly gums, fillers, and soy emulsifiers with a hint of salt and pork 'essence.' So be careful, and as always, read the label.

I love plain cabbage soup. Just boiled in water with pepper and spices.

I also use shredded cabbage as my "pasta" in my stirfry meals.

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
I love plain cabbage soup. Just boiled in water with pepper and spices.

I also use shredded cabbage as my "pasta" in my stirfry meals.
that sounds like a great idea...i'll have to try it..

i am also making the soup this sunday- should be interesting!

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-08-2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: merged with other soup thread
Old 09-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Banned

Default Soup

Hey...
Guys i am looking for a good soup recipe for dieting... ??
if anyone of you know any so please share with me
Old 09-15-2011, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Default Soup? You want soup?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:24 AM
FitDay Member

No soup for you!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM
FitDay Member

It's not that hard just measure/weigh your ingredients, log them into fit day, and then boil them together for a little bit and then eat the soup that day.

You can just combine a lot of vegetables you like and maybe add some chicken.

I like to add onion, beans, carrots, sweet potato, and tomatoes. Chicken broth or diluted V8 is good for a base.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:56 PM
FitDay Member

Default recipe for soup i had tonight

this recipe is made in my big ole 12 quart pot, so you may need to adjust the amount. I agree with Ruby about boiling the vegetables you have on hand. I make soup a couple times a month and it's always different.

1 24 oz can diced tomatoes
1 regular size can lime cilantro rotel
2 T. olive oil
1 regular size can corn, rinsed
1 regular can le sueur peas, rinsed. frozen peas work too
1/2 cup dry lentils
3 chicken bouillon cubes (if u have chicken, vegetable or beef stock use that instead of water)
4 cups of water, approximately*
3 stalks celery finely diced**
1 large diced white or yellow onion
4 pieces of garlic finely minced (i use a garlic press)
1 lb okra cut into pieces
3 bay leaves
tsp cumin
tsp dried cilantro or fresh cilantro added at end of cooking
1/2 tsp garam masala (omit this if ya dont have any)
salt and pepper to taste to add at end

Heat olive oil in pot over medium heat then add garlic and cook for approximately 30 seconds. Immediately add tomatoes, rotel, lentils, celery, onion, okra, water and spices. Bring to a boil or almost boiling then reduce heat to medium for a 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. 20 minutes before turning off the heat, add the corn. When you turn off the heat, add the peas and remove bay leaves. The soup will be hot enough to thoroughly cook the peas, but not get mushy.

*Add enough water/stock to fill up the pot to be 2/3 to 3/4 full.

**if you like really soft celery put in a separate small pot water and celery. Have it on a high boil for 30 mins. then add the water and celery to the pot of soup.

This soup freezes well.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Lightbulb

When you add beans to a soup, it adds calories (more than the less calorie dense vegetables - like zucchini, for example) but it makes the soup more filling. That's what makes chili such a satisfying meal. Making your own soup, you control the calories because you control the ingredients.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:29 AM
FitDay Member

Default Butternut Squash Soup

Just discovered this last yr, and love it!
It's really easy to make - the most time-consuming thing is cutting up the squash, but I've been told that now you can purchase it already cut!

Mix 1 large squash, cut up into cubes with 2 sliced onions. Boil them together until well-cooked. Puree, then return to the pan and add curry seasonings and some sour cream - about a cup or so - (I used lowfat and it came out great). Can add some hot pepper if you like, or black pepper and salt. Some people add a touch of cinnamon and/or nutmeg, but I prefer to leave them out.

Soup comes out very creamy and delicious!
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default nottango

butternuts are really hard to cut into.
i like to split a butternut in half, roast it, then allow it to cool before scooping out its flesh with a spoon to prepare soup. the roasting also adds another flavor dimension to the soup.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:55 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Kathy13118
When you add beans to a soup, it adds calories (more than the less calorie dense vegetables - like zucchini, for example) but it makes the soup more filling. That's what makes chili such a satisfying meal. Making your own soup, you control the calories because you control the ingredients.
Yes you're right. I think green lima beans have less calories than other beans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.