FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/125-protein-shakes-smoothies-recipes.html)

MarieDi 01-11-2010 03:41 PM

Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes

Any know of an EASY & tasty recipe for a healthy shake?

cyukna 01-12-2010 03:13 AM

I usually have one for breakfast if I am in a hurry -just over 300 calories
1 cup vanilla low fat yogurt 208 cal
1/4 cup frozen strawberries 55 cal
1 scoop protein powder supplement 37 cal
1/4 cup apple juice 29 cal
put it in the blender

You can make it with even less calories by using lower calorie yogurt, and juice but I dont like artificial sweeteners. I find adding protein helps keep me full. It makes a lot so you could split it and have it for 2 snacks instead.

rhcarm 01-12-2010 11:31 PM

1/4c fiber one cereal
skim or 1% milk
yogurt (read your labels!)
ice cubes

I just pour enough milk in to blend easily in the blender.

I've used all bran, fiber one, kochi go lean..they all will just taste like the yogurt!

sw07 01-26-2010 10:27 AM

I've got one of those single serv type of blenders- pefect size for a smoothie.

I'll make one of these for lunch and it will usually keep me full till dinner time-

1 Banana
1/4 cup Frozen Blueberries
3/4 cup Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
1/2 to 3/4 cup of 1% milk or Soy Milk (Choc or vanilla)
4 ice cubes

basscat348 02-06-2010 02:04 AM

I am looking for a protein shake with no artifical flavors

All I can find is powder or drinks that are loaded with natural flavors,artifical flavors,carageenan,and various other substances they are not good for you.Do you know of one thats just a protein supplement without all the chemicals in it?

basscat348 02-06-2010 05:03 AM

I just went to a few stores around the area and nobody seems to know what I mean.I guess I'll just get more protein from yogurt and eggs.

cjohnson728 02-06-2010 07:06 AM

Hey Basscat...I posted something in another thread about Greek yogurt...14-15 grams of protein in a 5-6 ounce cup. No artificial ingredients, either, and I do believe it's organic. Good luck!

basscat348 02-06-2010 09:51 AM

thats sounds perfect.

craigmarshall 02-06-2010 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by basscat348 (Post 2724)
All I can find is powder or drinks that are loaded with natural flavors,artifical flavors,carageenan,and various other substances they are not good for you.Do you know of one thats just a protein supplement without all the chemicals in it?

I like the Isopure whey protein drinks. They are high in protein with zero carbs. Hope this helps.

basscat348 02-08-2010 06:29 AM

We'll i finally found exactly what I was looking for.I found a organic protein powder free of gmo's pesticides and solvents,no gluten lactose or sweeteners or artifical flavors.The company is nutiva but there are many others I just bought this one first,its hemp protein + fiber powder.It has a similar taste of flaxseed oil,not to bad.It has 11g per serving but it also has omega3-6-9 oil in it.

Lizzycritter 02-09-2010 01:14 PM

Kashi makes protein powder in chocolate and vanilla, not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I used to get it at Rite Aid.

staceyalberta 02-16-2010 08:48 AM

i was just going to mention hemp seeds they are so yummy. great protien as well as a way to get those omegas in.

pascazio 02-19-2010 04:41 AM

Silhouette Solution Protein Shakes

This may or may not be what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you or others want to give it a try. I've been using the Silhouette Solution product line since November of 2009, and have lost 18 pounds so far, without exercise. (This week, I started adding exercise to the mix.)

As for the shakes, they come in a variety of flavors including chocolate, berry, orange, strawberry, pina colada and vanilla. They're delicious, contain little sugar, 15 grams of protein per serving, added vitamins in a food base, and are a relatively healthy meal replacement.

Here is the nutrition label:

http://www.idealhealth.com/ExternalI...ssal_Shake.gif

And here is a list of ingredients:

Ingredients: Protein blend (whey protein concentrate (derived from milk), calcium caseinate, sodium caseinate), cocoa (processed with alkali), fructose, sunflower oil, maltodextrin, fructooligosaccharide, vitamin and mineral blend (vitamin A as palmitate, cholecalciferol, vitamin E as acetate, biotin, folic acid, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, cyanocobalamin, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, dicalcium phosphate, chromium chloride, copper gluconate, potassium iodide, reduced iron, magnesium carbonate, manganese sulfate, sodium molybdate, zinc sulfate), natural and artificial flavors (wheat) , cellulose gum, xanthane gum, carrageenan, guar gum, dipotassium phosphate, potassium chloride, potassium citrate, silicon dioxide, sucralose (non nutritive sweetener), soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, tocopherols (antioxidant). Allergen Statement: May contain eggs.

revcher 03-02-2010 06:54 AM

1 scoop unsweetened vanilla whey ptotein powder
1 cup water
1 T flax meal
1 T flax oil
stevia to taste (I use 1 packet)
1/2 cup frozen berries (or more)

I also use a single serving blender and this is perfect.

runawayspoon 03-06-2010 01:38 PM

I love Spiru-Tein, a high protein energy meal with rice, pea, soy and spirulina....you can find it on the web or at some natural foods stores. I sometimes add non fat milk and frozen blueberries for a delicious drink . Put it in the blender, it's like a milkshake.Make sure you put some berries in it or buy the chocolate flavor or its kind of green looking because it's made from a kind of seaweed... that's what Spirulina is. I kid you not it has everything! 14 grams of protein and every other nutrient on earth. and I think it is delicious!

NDParry 06-25-2010 04:09 AM

Protein shake recipes

Lest hear your favorite protein shake recipes. Include all ingredients, and what kind of protien supplement you use...

Ready....

GO!

tandoorichicken 06-25-2010 05:47 AM

1 Banana
2 c whole milk
1 tbsp instant coffee
1 tbsp flax or olive oil
1 scoop Muscle Milk Chocolate Caramel Pecan
OR
2 scoops Trader Joe's Vanilla Whey

:)

wannabefitgrl 06-26-2010 09:30 AM

Banana:
1 cup skim milk
2 TB peant butter
1 banana-frozen
1 tsp sugar free cocoa mix
1-2 scoops Body Fortress chocolate protein powder

Berry Shake:
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt
1-2 scoops Body Fortress vanilla protein powder
Frozen berries (I like strawberries and blueberries....or frozen cherries)

Mocha:
1 cup prepared coffee-cooled
1 cup skim milk
2 tsp sugar free cocoa mix
1-2 scoops Body Fortress chocolate powder
(Sometimes I mix in frozen fruit)

These are my top three and usually alternate making the same one every day for a week. When I need a quick portein boost, just the powder and a cup or two of skim milk gives lots of protein and very little fat/carbs.

SeiferWar 06-26-2010 10:58 AM

1 cup 2% milk
half a banana
handful of blueberries/strawberries
2 tsp natural peanut butter
tsp of honey
1 scoop either ON whey or myofusion protein.

almeeker 06-26-2010 01:08 PM

Muscle Mocha

1 1/2 cups hot coffee
1/2 scoop Spiru-Tein chocolate (or vanilla)
1 packet Ideal sweetener or 1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 cup milk (usually Blue Diamond Almond - Light)

Very Berry

1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 serving Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt
1-2 packets Ideal sweetener or 1 1/2 tsp sugar
1-2 cup milk (usually Blue Diamond Almond - Light)
1 scoop Spiru-Tein vanilla

vic616283 06-27-2010 04:15 PM

I just thought I'd throw in my two cents worth of info:

1- Optimum nutrition "oats & whey" shake is not only outstanding (from a macronutrient split standpoint) as a post workout drink, but if you blend it "Frappe" style (throw it in the blender with very little water and some ice) its DELICIOUS

2- If you're cutting calories more drastically, or if you went overboard in one of your previous meals during the day and need to have a lower-calorie protein shake, this tip will be useful for you. Even the blandest, most watery protein shake (which tends to always be the case with shakes that are low in fat and carbs, such as Optimum Nutrition hydro whey or pro complex) has its taste greatly enhanced by blending it frappe and adding a tablespoon of almond/peanut butter per scoop of powder. I was really surprised at how much the taste of my hydro whey improved when I threw in a tbsp of natural almond butter.

Katie416 06-29-2010 09:56 AM

Lemon Cookie

1 scoop Vanilla protien powder
1 tsp sf lemon pudding mix (dry)
a little sf vanilla syrup (Torani's or Davinci's)
1 cup ice
water

Toss everything in blender and blend

vlseno 07-02-2010 02:16 PM

This makes a blender full so you will have enough for a couple of days, unless it's all you're drinking/eating for the day. It's like a Lassi, a popular and traditional Indian yogurt-based drink. Delicious.
2 Bananas
16 oz vanilla yogurt (no low fat or artificial sweetener in)
Water and Ice to make 32 oz
grated ginger root and sprinkle cardamom

KaziAkita 07-02-2010 04:08 PM

Next Proteins Designer Whey Protein - Vanilla
8oz Silk vanilla milk
8oz cold water
50g frozen blueberries
5g creatine

Next Proteins Designer Whey Protein - Chocolate
8oz Silk Lite chocolate milk
8oz cold water
50g frozen blueberries
5g creatine

Next Proteins Designer Whey Protein - Strawberry
8oz Silk vanilla milk
8oz cold water
50g frozen strawberries
5g creatine

Optional
30g rolled oats (Bob's Red Mill organic rolled oats)
10g flaxseed oil (Barlean's)

sarkai90 07-07-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by wannabefitgrl (Post 14504)
Mocha:
1 cup prepared coffee-cooled
1 cup skim milk
2 tsp sugar free cocoa mix
1-2 scoops Body Fortress chocolate powder
(Sometimes I mix in frozen fruit)

Just wanted to say that I tried this recipe today and YUM! So good, and it felt like such a treat! I'm looking forward to trying all these out. :D

Crimpet 09-02-2010 02:09 AM

Protein Powders and Shakes

I am wanting to add more protein to my diet, but I don't really get to eat the foods necessary to increase my protein intake without all the fat and carbs. I realize my at intake is a large percentage of my diet due to all the oils that are used in cooking here ( I'm with family in Turkey) so I can't always eat what's cooked (or I eat little).

Does anyone have any good protein powders to recommend which are with practically no carbs or fat (2 grams or less) and possibly no sugar?

I need to add at least 60grams of protein to my diet since my intake is so low.
(I do MUCH better on high protein diets)

Any recommendations would be awesome as well as your experiences with them if any. THANKS! :o

rpmcduff 09-02-2010 03:18 AM

I use the Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein shake mix from Wal-mart. One scoop of the vanilla has 2g fat, 3g carbs, 26g protein and 135 calories. I also like the strawberry but the nutrient breakdown may be slightly different. This is a good fat/carb/protein ration when compared to other brands. There are other brands that are a little better and many that are not as good. Bodybuilding.com has a listing of all the brands they carry and you can compare many different brands there too.

Buttoni 09-19-2010 10:53 AM

NOW brand unflavored, unsweetened has the following stats. I cook recipes with this all the time and like it. I add my own vanilla, cocoa, spices, or whatever. I ordered a huge bag from amazon.com that was not to bad price wise.

NOW Foods - Whey Protein Isolate - 5 lbs.

lindaybarnett 09-22-2010 12:56 PM

I like Nectar by syntex I think that's the manufactor. The flavor I like is fuzy navel. It is a peach flavor that is good just with cold water. I usually mix it with my favorite cyrstal lite natural orange. It has 23 grams of protein and no fat or carbs. It is fruity not milky. I know others that actually mix it with fat free milk and like it that way. I am not a milk person and this is the only brand that I have found with a fruity mix. I also like pure protein bars, chocolate peanut butter is what I usually eat. I has 200 calories a bar so it is usually all or part of a meal. There are some fat and carb calories but I don't remember the counts. I get the bars from either wal-mart or Randals which is a grocery store in the safeway family. The nectar I can get at a health food store or online. Google it and you should be able to find it.

lindaybarnett 09-22-2010 01:01 PM

OOPs it Syntrac that makes nectar. just google nectar fuy naval and you will find loads of info and places to buy online

me2forever 09-22-2010 01:57 PM

I bought one at Kroger and put it everything like yogurt, shakes, etc. Think it helps and keeps you from being hungry. I plan to try the Wal Mart one too.

midwestj 09-22-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Buttoni (Post 21332)
NOW brand unflavored, unsweetened has the following stats. I cook recipes with this all the time and like it. I add my own vanilla, cocoa, spices, or whatever. I ordered a huge bag from amazon.com that was not to bad price wise.

NOW Foods - Whey Protein Isolate - 5 lbs.

NOW brand is IMHO the best stuff out there cost wise, quality wise, and the taste is pretty good too. All natural, made in the USA, good tasting.

I use the concentrate so its got some carbs 12g per serving. If you choose Isolate it will have much lower carbs, but a higher price tag. I got a 10 pound bag of chocolate concentrate and it was 75$ dollars US. That is $0.50 a serving, and you can't really beat that.

mc3150 09-24-2010 08:53 AM

I use
Healthy 'N Fit 100% Whey Pro-Amino (56G)

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
Calories 98.0
Calories from Fat 4.5

Fat 0.5 g 1 %
Saturated Fat 0.0 g 0 %
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 2.5 mg 1 %
Sodium 145.0 mg 6 %
Potassium 0.0 mg 0 %
Carbohydrate 1.5 g 0 %
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0 %
Protein 22.5 g 45 %
Alcohol 0.0 g

Vitamin A 0 %
Calcium 4 %
Vitamin D 0 %
Thiamin 0 %
Niacin 0 %
Vitamin B6 0 %
Phosphorus 0 %
Selenium 0 %
Vitamin C 1 %
Iron 2 %
Vitamin E 0 %
Riboflavin 0 %
Vitamin B12 0 %
Manganese 0 %
Copper 0 %
Magnesium 0 %
Zinc 0 %

Plus all of the amino acids.:)

heather.72 10-05-2010 09:46 AM

so here is my question, because I am in the same boat and need to up the protien intake, HOW can you stand the taste. If you mix it with water, it has such a terrible after taste i can hardly stand to choke it down... is there something you can do to either make it taste better or at least mask the taste?

wannabefitgrl 10-05-2010 11:21 AM

I mix mine with milk, fat free milk, for a quick mix. The milk adds a little more protein too. I also essentially make a smoothie, but add a scoop of protein powder. For example:

Mocha protein shake:
1 cup prepared coffee, preferably chilled
1 cup fat free milk
1 scoop protein powder (I like chocolate for a great mocha flavor)
(This comes out fairly thin so you can also add ice to thicken)

Banana:
1.5 cups fat free milk
1 TB peanut butter
1 banana (I cut up ahead of time and freeze; frozen fruit helps thicken it up)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
(this one comes out fairly thick, depending on how much frozen banana you put it; it's literally like having a milkshake!)

Berry Protein Shake:
1 cup frozen berries (any that you like, but preferably unsweetened)
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt (I use plain, if you have a flavored version, you could use that too)
1 scoop protein powder (I like to use vanilla here, but there are also strawberry flavored ones that would probably be good)
(This one also comes out fairly thick because of the frozen fruit, although the yogurt helps make it smoother)

You can do tons of variations by changing the flavor of yogurt, fruit juices, fruits, and protein powders. You can essentially look up smoothie recipies and just add protein powder to them. Granted your calorie intake will be higher because of the extra ingredients, but I make one of these for breakfast every day (usually do just powder and milk as a snack on the weekends), but I find it's a great way to up my protein, plus they're delicious!

Hope that helps!

heather.72 10-05-2010 03:04 PM

Thanks! I will try them... anything has to be better than mixing them with water - major yuck!

barreira 10-06-2010 12:25 AM

I use GNC Pro Performance Whey, which is one of their cheaper ones, but it tastes good in water (tastes better in milk, of course) and has low carbs.

If you poke around on GNC's website, they have numerous low carb protein shakes available and a lot of them are reviewed by customers, so you can see what other people are saying.

Jenna_66 10-06-2010 06:51 AM

I use Revolutionary Technology Bionic Whey No chemicals and no artifial sweetners.

Right now my Fav is

1 scoop pp
few ice cubes
1/2 banana
1/4 Blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk/or whatever kind I have on hand
flaxseed

It's soooo yummy, i look forward to one everyday cuz it taste like it's soo bad for you. And if I have it I will throw a handful of spinach in it.

And if you go to their website they have a whole list of different shakes you can make, with the calorie count

wannabefitgrl 10-07-2010 11:17 AM

I mix protein powder into other things too...like oatmeal and cottage cheese. My friends like to make this 'pumpkin fluff' dessert which is basically pumpkin puree, cream cheese, cool whip, vanilla pudding, pumpkin spices.

I made a lighter and healthier version for myself tonight that was soooo good. I did plain pumpkin puree (no added sugars and such), pumpkin spice, vanilla protein powder, and cottage cheese. (worked out to half cup pumpkin, quarter cup cottage cheese, half a scoop protein powder, and spices to taste). I'd probably play with my proportions a little and you can add more or less of an ingredient depending on your taste. It wasn't super sweet, but if eaten with graham crackers or nilla wafers, that would make it seem sweeter (I just couldn't afford any more carbs for today!). It's wet and dense, so it really makes me feel full and was a nice little 'dessert'.

I've also been playing with other combinations of protein powder and cottage cheese (with thawed cherries and chocolate powder for instance). I also plan to mix it with yogurt (or even better...greek yogurt for a big protein boost) and fruit.

Mix and match flavors and foods to find things that taste good. Not sure if almeeker has pitched in here yet but I've read that she adds chocolate protein powder to her coffee (I imagine this makes a mocha tasting drink).

Enjoy!

heather.72 10-07-2010 05:43 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got brave this morning and tried the strawberry / milk/yogurt/pp shake - It tasted A LOT better than the pp by itself! There was still a little aftertaste but a HUGE improvement over it being mixed in water alone. I was very suprised at how much it makes too. I totally understand the comment about drinking it as a meal replacement! It was breakfast and when i finally finished it - took it to work - I was good and full until lunch. Thanks again!