Notices

Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes

Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 PM
FitDay Member

Default A product to consider

There is a product called Spirutein on the market. It is in a can and has some good flavors. I have tried them all. Like the coffee flavor, egg nog, and berry burst. The chocolate is not good and the vanilla is so-so.

This has high protein mixture, vitamins and other nutrients. I make it with milk and add stevia to make it sweet enough for me. You can put anything in it. The blender is needed.

They actually sell trial packets of it. If you can't find it in a health food store, Amazon has it.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
FitDay Member

Here's a recepie I have used as a meal replacement:

2 scoops body fortress whey protein, chocolate
1 tbsp jiff peanut butter
1 cup milk
1/4 cup egg whites
4-6 ice cubes

Add all ingredients to blender and mix. Tastes like a peanut butter cup and is thick too. I thought drinking egg whites would be gross...but it worked alright for me but you don't have to add the egg.

Cal 535, Fat 17, carbs 24, protein 69
Old 04-21-2011, 02:00 PM
FitDay Member

Default Protein/Carb Smoothies

Hello,

I'm wondering if people would care to share their favorite smoothie recipes for before/after work-outs?

I recently discovered that I'm allergic to oranges and other similar citrus fruits. My favorite smoothie was:

1/3 cup OJ
1/4 cup skim milk
4 ice cubes
1/3 cup pineapple
1/3 cup strawberries, raspberries or blue berries
1 scoop EAS isolate whey vanilla protein

I like a creamy smoothie and love the combination I had. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I might replace the OJ with??

Last edited by hrustang; 04-30-2011 at 04:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:47 PM
FitDay Member

I've used Crystal Light fruit punch and low sugar cranberry juice as a base in place of regular fruit juices before. I don't know how much protein/fat you're wanting to get in your smoothies, but my favorite is:

-1 cup unsweetened almond milk
-1 scoop whey protein (fat free greek yogurt or other protein powders will work too)
-2 Tbsp ground flax seed (for healthy fat and fiber)
-1 cup frozen strawberries, unsweetened
-1/2 cup frozen blueberries, unsweetened
-1 cup spinach (I add leafy greens to everything I can, and it doesn't change the taste)
-ice

Nutrition breakdown:
304 calories, 9 g unsaturated fat, 39 g carbs, 12 g fiber, 24 g protein, 288 mg sodium, 25% fat, 45% carbs, 30% protein

It's a meal within itself, and it's really filling with the added fat, protein, and fiber. It fits well into the ratios I set for myself, and it's not as pricey as having Jamba Juice all the time!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:06 PM
FitDay Member

Made a yummy one today - found it somewhere online, so can't claim ownership of it. This is good for two smoothies:

- 2 cups frozen mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt (made by a local company that specializes in Greek-style yogurt; it's greek + vanilla, basically)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 cup 2% milk

Turned out thick, like a sherbet or frozen yogurt... was delicious though. The flaxseed gave it a nutty flavour, and the yogurt a very slight acidity that anchored the sweetness of the berries. Very nice.
Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 PM
FitDay Member

Default My favorite smoothie

Thought I'd revive this thread. It's a good one!

This smoothie is easy since there's so few ingredients. It's also low on calories.

- 1 scoop of Body Fortress Whey protein, Vanilla
- 1 medium sized banana
- 1 to 1.25 cup iced green tea
- 2 or 3 ice cubes

Blend well in blender. 248 calories, 27 grams protein

Last edited by VitoVino; 09-29-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: tweaked green tea amount
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM
FitDay Member

All I do is start with 8 oz(1 cup) of fat free milk, a scoop of protein powder, 2 oz of heavy cream and at least 1/2 cup frozen fruit. I have a Ninja 1100 and it makes a smooth smoothie almost instantly.
I keep packages of frozen fruit in the freezer all the time. I buy them when on sale. I especially like Dole pineapple chucks but also have raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, mango, and a few I can't remember off hand. Many of the store brands are very good as well.
Many times my smoothies become almost like soft ice cream and I eat them with a spoon! Keep it simple, these can be whipped up in about 5 minutes. Great breakfast or afternoon snack.
Lee
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by SwampCatNana
Many times my smoothies become almost like soft ice cream and I eat them with a spoon!

You temptress! As soon as I start maintenance I'm going to make a smoothie your way!
Old 01-17-2012, 11:25 AM
FitDay Member

Default Smothies Anyone?

I hate breakfast so I make myself some protein smoothies. They have helped me stay active and awake through my mornings. My basic smoothies consist of:

Almond milk
Egg whites
A spoon full of almond butter
A frozen fruit

They are simple, easy to drink, and get the job done.

I would like to know if any of you have specific recipes for smoothies that you wouldn't mind sharing. I am especially interested in vegetable smoothies.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
FitDay Member

Getting enough vegetables has always been a challenge for me because I'm a very picky eater. I have not tried vegetable smoothies, but I did work at trying to find a recipe that incorporated the powdered greens my husband had bought and never used. I made a fairly decent smoothie using banana protein powder, coconut milk, frozen blueberries and powdered greens. Coconut milk is amazing in smoothies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.