Notices

Protein Shakes/Smoothies Recipes

Old 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM
FitDay Member

I bought one at Kroger and put it everything like yogurt, shakes, etc. Think it helps and keeps you from being hungry. I plan to try the Wal Mart one too.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Buttoni
NOW brand unflavored, unsweetened has the following stats. I cook recipes with this all the time and like it. I add my own vanilla, cocoa, spices, or whatever. I ordered a huge bag from amazon.com that was not to bad price wise.

NOW Foods - Whey Protein Isolate - 5 lbs.
NOW brand is IMHO the best stuff out there cost wise, quality wise, and the taste is pretty good too. All natural, made in the USA, good tasting.

I use the concentrate so its got some carbs 12g per serving. If you choose Isolate it will have much lower carbs, but a higher price tag. I got a 10 pound bag of chocolate concentrate and it was 75$ dollars US. That is $0.50 a serving, and you can't really beat that.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM
FitDay Member

I use
Healthy 'N Fit 100% Whey Pro-Amino (56G)

Nutrition Facts
Amount Per Serving
Calories 98.0
Calories from Fat 4.5

Fat 0.5 g 1 %
Saturated Fat 0.0 g 0 %
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 2.5 mg 1 %
Sodium 145.0 mg 6 %
Potassium 0.0 mg 0 %
Carbohydrate 1.5 g 0 %
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g 0 %
Protein 22.5 g 45 %
Alcohol 0.0 g

Vitamin A 0 %
Calcium 4 %
Vitamin D 0 %
Thiamin 0 %
Niacin 0 %
Vitamin B6 0 %
Phosphorus 0 %
Selenium 0 %
Vitamin C 1 %
Iron 2 %
Vitamin E 0 %
Riboflavin 0 %
Vitamin B12 0 %
Manganese 0 %
Copper 0 %
Magnesium 0 %
Zinc 0 %

Plus all of the amino acids.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
FitDay Member

so here is my question, because I am in the same boat and need to up the protien intake, HOW can you stand the taste. If you mix it with water, it has such a terrible after taste i can hardly stand to choke it down... is there something you can do to either make it taste better or at least mask the taste?
Old 10-05-2010, 11:21 AM
FitDay Member

I mix mine with milk, fat free milk, for a quick mix. The milk adds a little more protein too. I also essentially make a smoothie, but add a scoop of protein powder. For example:

Mocha protein shake:
1 cup prepared coffee, preferably chilled
1 cup fat free milk
1 scoop protein powder (I like chocolate for a great mocha flavor)
(This comes out fairly thin so you can also add ice to thicken)

Banana:
1.5 cups fat free milk
1 TB peanut butter
1 banana (I cut up ahead of time and freeze; frozen fruit helps thicken it up)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
(this one comes out fairly thick, depending on how much frozen banana you put it; it's literally like having a milkshake!)

Berry Protein Shake:
1 cup frozen berries (any that you like, but preferably unsweetened)
1 cup fat free milk
1/2 cup nonfat yogurt (I use plain, if you have a flavored version, you could use that too)
1 scoop protein powder (I like to use vanilla here, but there are also strawberry flavored ones that would probably be good)
(This one also comes out fairly thick because of the frozen fruit, although the yogurt helps make it smoother)

You can do tons of variations by changing the flavor of yogurt, fruit juices, fruits, and protein powders. You can essentially look up smoothie recipies and just add protein powder to them. Granted your calorie intake will be higher because of the extra ingredients, but I make one of these for breakfast every day (usually do just powder and milk as a snack on the weekends), but I find it's a great way to up my protein, plus they're delicious!

Hope that helps!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks! I will try them... anything has to be better than mixing them with water - major yuck!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:25 AM
FitDay Member

I use GNC Pro Performance Whey, which is one of their cheaper ones, but it tastes good in water (tastes better in milk, of course) and has low carbs.

If you poke around on GNC's website, they have numerous low carb protein shakes available and a lot of them are reviewed by customers, so you can see what other people are saying.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:51 AM
FitDay Member

I use Revolutionary Technology Bionic Whey No chemicals and no artifial sweetners.

Right now my Fav is

1 scoop pp
few ice cubes
1/2 banana
1/4 Blueberries
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup almond milk/or whatever kind I have on hand
flaxseed

It's soooo yummy, i look forward to one everyday cuz it taste like it's soo bad for you. And if I have it I will throw a handful of spinach in it.

And if you go to their website they have a whole list of different shakes you can make, with the calorie count
Old 10-07-2010, 11:17 AM
FitDay Member

I mix protein powder into other things too...like oatmeal and cottage cheese. My friends like to make this 'pumpkin fluff' dessert which is basically pumpkin puree, cream cheese, cool whip, vanilla pudding, pumpkin spices.

I made a lighter and healthier version for myself tonight that was soooo good. I did plain pumpkin puree (no added sugars and such), pumpkin spice, vanilla protein powder, and cottage cheese. (worked out to half cup pumpkin, quarter cup cottage cheese, half a scoop protein powder, and spices to taste). I'd probably play with my proportions a little and you can add more or less of an ingredient depending on your taste. It wasn't super sweet, but if eaten with graham crackers or nilla wafers, that would make it seem sweeter (I just couldn't afford any more carbs for today!). It's wet and dense, so it really makes me feel full and was a nice little 'dessert'.

I've also been playing with other combinations of protein powder and cottage cheese (with thawed cherries and chocolate powder for instance). I also plan to mix it with yogurt (or even better...greek yogurt for a big protein boost) and fruit.

Mix and match flavors and foods to find things that taste good. Not sure if almeeker has pitched in here yet but I've read that she adds chocolate protein powder to her coffee (I imagine this makes a mocha tasting drink).

Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:43 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got brave this morning and tried the strawberry / milk/yogurt/pp shake - It tasted A LOT better than the pp by itself! There was still a little aftertaste but a HUGE improvement over it being mixed in water alone. I was very suprised at how much it makes too. I totally understand the comment about drinking it as a meal replacement! It was breakfast and when i finally finished it - took it to work - I was good and full until lunch. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.