Notices

Height

Old 11-05-2016, 02:16 AM
FitDay Member

Default Height

Why isn't height a factor here in our stats? I'm 6 ft and weighed 192 this am. Fit day says i'm still obese. That is ridiculous.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

Go to your profile (there is a tab for profile, after 'Overview') and put in your height (save it). Was it entered correctly when you set up your profile? Height is a factor.

It says there:
'Enter your height. FitDay uses your height to personalize your metabolism estimate' and your body mass index.'

If you google 'BMI,' you'll get BMI calculators. For someone who is 6 feet, you are overweight at that height, not obese.

Last edited by Kathy13118; 11-06-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:22 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks Kathy. I just find it hilarious that I am considered overweight. I weighed in at 190 this am. I'm thinking the classifications are a little off. But that's me.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:18 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by friardave
Thanks Kathy. I just find it hilarious that I am considered overweight. I weighed in at 190 this am. I'm thinking the classifications are a little off. But that's me.
BMI is a very rough estimate of your shape, and was developed as a quick screening tool, nothing more. It is most notably completely off for muscular males. Slightly more updated screening tools will include your waist to hip ratio.

You can track the body measurements on FD to look at something that reflects the actual changes in your shape - and it is the best set of parameters to track if you are tracking anything.

You can also try the Body Fat Percentage, but it is a measurement that is more suitable to see changes over the long periods of time, and has a false illusion of accuracy because of the way it involves either calipers or the type of the scales.

Mirror is also a universal instrument that provides you with everything you want to know about your body, so long as you are not emotional.

Last edited by Ruvvoy; 11-23-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-28-2016, 10:28 AM
FitDay Member

As others have said, FitDay uses a Body Mass Index, which can be misleading if you are muscular. It would be better to get a body fat reading to find out what your lean body mass is vs fat. There are a lot of online calculators out there to find out your BF% based on measurements other than just height. You could also get some skin fold calipers or a scale that does an impedance analysis.