Notices

FIBER and poo...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:22 PM
FitDay Member

Default FIBER and poo...

So how much fiber is everyone getting?

I seem to be getting 35-50g easy per day with all of the fruits and veggies I'm eating. I don't eat any fiber-filled supplements either.

today I've had/am having:
1carrot
3cups spinach
1 cup blueberries
.5 cup raspberries
1 cup honeydew melon
2 stalks of celery
roasted bell peppers
1 orange
1apple
vegetarian meatballs made out of portabella mushrooms
low sodium spaghetti sauce

along with all of my other food choices (which are a lot! about 1400 cals for me today with everything else such as my protein sources), I'm getting 36g of fiber today, which is on the low side for me.

YET, I only go poo once a day in the morning, and I've heard it's normal to go more than once a day...what do you all think.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 AM
FitDay Member

Default a tender subject indeed

If you're eating a lot of fiber then your best friend is liquid, preferably water. Too much fiber will bind you up (think of cement: when wet it flows....)

Other thoughts, "floater" or "sinker", floater is good. If it sinks you've been "compacting" it, you're body is holding things in instead of moving them.

Do you have to strain to get things moving?

If you're a type "A" behavior person, you've trained yourself to go once a day. You can break that conditioning. Go to the WC a few times a day, even if you just pass gas you'll get the "lower half" to think about moving.

A great question on a ticklish subject.

Dave
Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 AM
FitDay Member

I get anywhere from 25g to 40g of fibre daily and drink plenty of water, and I go once or twice every day. I run and find that running gets things moving in my bowels.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by avelina
I get anywhere from 25g to 40g of fibre daily and drink plenty of water, and I go once or twice every day. I run and find that running gets things moving in my bowels.
Same here- wake up @ 5am, drop a deuce, weigh myself and then hit the gym.
I average 24-45g of fiber daily with plenty of water- I usually drink 3- 16oz glasses during my workday.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:54 AM
FitDay Member

I usually get plenty of fiber myself but I only go 1ce a day and sometimes I go days without going at all. That gets really uncomfortable. But I have found that drinking chai tea helps me. It's a spicy tea and a lot of people don't like it but I love the way it tastes and there have been studies that show that is helps aid in digestion.

If I skip out on my tea I can really tell a difference.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM
FitDay Member

i drink a lot of water and have a mix of floaters and sinkers. I'll try the chai tea and try to re-train my body. I'll also keep up the running. thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
FitDay Member

Twice a day, once a day or even once every other day can all be normal depending on your body. I'm the once-a-day type as well, and I make sure to eat 2 pieces of fruit and at least 3 servings of veggies per day. If it's hard, painful to pass, comes out as pellets instead of a "log", or is mushy and has no shape, those can all indicate issues with your diet. It looks like you're getting a healthy dose of fiber to me. As long as regular movements are happening, and you aren't feeling bloated or uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

TMI I know, but as a veterinary technician and mother of a 2 year old, I consider myself to be a poo expert lol.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:35 PM
FitDay Member

this is a funny thread but still important!

i have to say that it is quite counter-intuitive for me to believe that floaters are better than sinkers. If you drink more water i feel like you're more likely to get sinkers bc you are hydrated and therefore the density of your BM is water+digestion which is denser than if there was less water in your BM.

on a similar note, i took a gap year inbetween high school and college and did an outdoor leadership semester in the fall. On the first day they said that if you were well hydrated your BM should look like chocolate frozen yogurt does when it comes out of the machine.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:55 PM
FitDay Member

I've been on a quest for the last 4 years to increase my fiber intake....Nothing seams to work for me, any random suggestions? I've tried the fruit, vegetable, yogurt route with no success.

I go maybe once every other day at the max. I drink TONs of water (only water) and still I have small little pellets (sorry for TMI) I just can't seam to find the right solution for myself.

I'm so envious of you all with awesome BM's. lol!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Lucky maybe you should eat Kashi Go Lean for breakfast...or Bob's Red Mill high fiber hot cereal! drinking hot liquids also helps. you could also do fiber capsules if you get desperate.

i rarely go everyday and according to my stats I generally get 94% of my fiber intake. sometimes i don't even go every other day! all bodies are different..I wouldn't fret. I know it adds to weigh-in variability but I guess that will just always be a factor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.