Notices

Homemade V-8 Juice

Old 07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

Default Homemade V-8 Juice

I made homemade V-8 Juice last night - without a recipe.

I bought frozen cut carrots and thawed them in the fridge. Then I cooked them with some canned tomatoes (some crushed, some stewed) I had in the pantry and a little olive oil. I threw in the pot: some pieces of celery and celery leaves, a chopped peeled onion, a head of garlic (cloves peeled), and a can of serrano chilies that were canned with carrot pieces.

I thoroughly washed an entire bunch of fresh coriander and a bunch of fresh parsley. Blended that in my food processor with some water, so that it was as liquid as I could possibly get it. I put the slurry in a really large steel bowl.

Then I started blending/food processing the carrot tomato onion mixture, which had cooked to soften the carrots but didn't really cook down - I didn't want a sauce.

I added that to the steel bowl with the fresh liquified herbs.

Finally, I put the contents of the steel bowl through a china cap. If you don't know what a china cap is, here is an example. I have a large one.
ww.amazon.com/Winco-CCS-8F-Strainer-8-Inch-Diameter/dp/B001CDTL4A

Finally, I had a kind of thick juice with a whole lot of pulp left over.
I put that in the refrigerator.

The V-8 juice is quite spicy and already has salt because of the canned ingredients used.

It tastes good!

I also have a huge mess of stuff sitting in my sink, waiting to be cleaned. I also have a broken dishwasher, so during all of the preparations, it flooded the kitchen and I was standing in 1/2 inch of water.

Makes the price tag on the store V-8 juice look pretty cheap.

BUT I do have the pulp from the juice left over and I can use it in soup. So, it probably works out to be economical in the end.
Old 11-05-2014, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

I love me some V8 juice!