Notices

Refrigeration/food safety...

Old 07-12-2014, 10:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Refrigeration/food safety...

My refrigerator went out on me this week. The temperature was at 65 degrees.
I had to call in a repairman and he fixed it, said it wasn't defrosting and ice was building up and blocking the airflow from the freezer to the frig compartment. He had to replace the heating element, cost was $180 bucks. Now my frig is running at between 30 and 40 degrees like it's supposed to. I highly recommend getting a refrigerator temperature gauge so you can keep an eye how well your frig is performing. They don't cost much, but can save you from eating spoiled foods or getting food poisoning.

I had to throw out all the food in my frig and start over with fresh foods, just to be safe.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry you lost all that food. I'm getting a temperature gauge - you've convinced me...
Old 07-13-2014, 04:42 AM
FitDay Member

Well on the bright side, I can rest assured that all my foods are safe now. There was a lot of foods that were over the expiration date so it was a good thing to toss them anyway. Another good thing is my foods all taste better because they are really chilled now...salads, orange juice, lunch meat, cheese, tomatoes, butter, bread..all taste better cold.

I spent about $100 bucks buying fresh stuff, but it's worth it !!