Notices

diabetic recipes

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM
FitDay Member

Talking diabetic recipes

As a newly diagnosed Diabetic I am looking for new and fun recipes for diabetics. I am the momma of 3 daughters so they have to like them too. none of us are picky eaters so hopefully you all have some ideas. I am also trying to lose weight and eat healthier so let me know what you got. look forward to seeing what you all have to say.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Hi there; welcome .

You might find some ideas in this thread: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums...b-recipes.html

The Food section has a smattering of other low carb recipes as well.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:44 PM
FitDay Member

This site has been a blessing in terms of helping me stay accrountable for what and how much I eat. I have just crossed the one year mark of when I got told I was diabetic. I hope you find this site as supportive as I did. In stead of a recipe I have a baking suggestion to share with you that I use. I use regular sugar, but only use half the amount the recipe calls for. Sometimes I don't put sugar in at all and my family doesn't even notice. I have seen my A1c number go down. Whishing you the best of luck.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 AM
FitDay Member

Default ideas for diabetic recipes

Originally Posted by baseballgirl21
As a newly diagnosed Diabetic I am looking for new and fun recipes for diabetics. I am the momma of 3 daughters so they have to like them too. none of us are picky eaters so hopefully you all have some ideas. I am also trying to lose weight and eat healthier so let me know what you got. look forward to seeing what you all have to say.
I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic in March. I had difficulty figuring out what to eat (I'm also on low protein diet).

A good website to check out is the American Diabetes Association. They also have meal plans. Do you know what your carb allotment is for the day? I would also recommend going to your local library. I found a lot of cookbooks. Sometimes the info might be a little out of date but the recipes are still good.

Jenn
Old 10-11-2012, 01:26 PM
FitDay Member

Default Reverse Type two Diabetes

Originally Posted by jjrudd
I was diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic in March. I had difficulty figuring out what to eat (I'm also on low protein diet).

A good website to check out is the American Diabetes Association. They also have meal plans. Do you know what your carb allotment is for the day? I would also recommend going to your local library. I found a lot of cookbooks. Sometimes the info might be a little out of date but the recipes are still good.

Jenn
Type 2 Diabetes is reversible. ( It is more a symptom than a disease), by that I mean your body is telling you that you need to make changes to your nutrition and exercise routine.
My Father was diagnosed with Adult onset Diabetes( type 2) 11 months ago. He changed his diet, exercised 4 times a week and lost 80 pounds. His blood sugars use to be in the 400's, now he averages 115 to 125 and he is still losing.
Search on You Tube how to reverse type 2 diabetes without the use of medication. I would start off by eliminating all processed foods, eliminate breads, pastas and potatoes. Eat lean meat, lots of fresh vegetables, 1-2 servings of low glycemic fruits and nuts. In essence the Palio Diet ,

I've been a Nurse for over 10 years and I can tell you that you body needs proper nutrition and exercise or it will start sending you signals that it is sick and diabetes is one of those signals! Hope this helps.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-14-2012 at 01:33 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by csabella
Type 2 Diabetes is reversible. ( It is more a symptom than a disease), by that I mean your body is telling you that you need to make changes to your nutrition and exercise routine.
My Father was diagnosed with Adult onset Diabetes( type 2) 11 months ago. He changed his diet, exercised 4 times a week and lost 80 pounds. His blood sugars use to be in the 400's, now he averages 115 to 125 and he is still losing.
Search on You Tube how to reverse type 2 diabetes without the use of medication. I would start off by eliminating all processed foods, eliminate breads, pastas and potatoes. Eat lean meat, lots of fresh vegetables, 1-2 servings of low glycemic fruits and nuts. In essence the Palio Diet ,

I've been a Nurse for over 10 years and I can tell you that you body needs proper nutrition and exercise or it will start sending you signals that it is sick and diabetes is one of those signals! Hope this helps.
Although there is some good advice in this post, such as change in diet and including exercise, I am concerned when people are told they can "reverse" type 2 diabetes. I am also a nurse, for over 22 years. Diabetes type 2 is in fact a disease and to suggest it is only a symptom is not true. There are many people who are obese with sedentary lifestyles who will never develop type 2 diabetes, as well as those who are thin and active that will. Now, you may in fact lower your glucoses with a change in diet and exercise, but that will simply control the disease, not reverse it. For those with insulin resistance brought about by obesity, as long as they maintain their change in diet and lose a significant amount of weight , usually 20%, they can reverse those symptoms because they are not genetically predisposed. But, for those with genetic predisposition, their diabetes is caused by the inability of the islets of langerhorns within the pancreas to either produce enough insulin, or to utilize that insulin effectively. That cannot be reversed, only controlled.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-14-2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 10-13-2012, 07:09 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by galefrances
Although there is some good advice in this post, such as change in diet and including exercise, I am concerned when people are told they can "reverse" type 2 diabetes. I am also a nurse, for over 22 years. Diabetes type 2 is in fact a disease and to suggest it is only a symptom is not true. There are many people who are obese with sedentary lifestyles who will never develop type 2 diabetes, as well as those who are thin and active that will. Now, you may in fact lower your glucoses with a change in diet and exercise, but that will simply control the disease, not reverse it. For those with insulin resistance brought about by obesity, as long as they maintain their change in diet and lose a significant amount of weight , usually 20%, they can reverse those symptoms because they are not genetically predisposed. But, for those with genetic predisposition, their diabetes is caused by the inability of the islets of langerhorns within the pancreas to either produce enough insulin, or to utilize that insulin effectively. That cannot be reversed, only controlled.
Here is a quote from Dr. Mercola. If the link doesnt come through copy and paste it, he has some good information that has changed the way I think about medicine.

Quote..........

You Can Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

Please don't let anyone tell you that type 2 diabetes has no cure, as this is not true. Type 2 diabetes is not terminal; you don't have to live with it forever! Nearly 100 percent of type 2diabetics can be successfully treated -- eliminating the symptoms of diabetes, or the high risk of developing health complications -- if you are willing to implement the lifestyle changes discussed below. These same changes will also drastically reduce your risk of the disease, so you can avoid developing it in the first place.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 AM
FitDay Member

Dr. Mercola adult onset diabetes video, reversing type 2 diabetes. Very informational!!!

Old 10-14-2012, 12:09 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by csabella
Here is a quote from Dr. Mercola. If the link doesnt come through copy and paste it, he has some good information that has changed the way I think about medicine.

Quote..........

You Can Reverse Type 2 Diabetes

Please don't let anyone tell you that type 2 diabetes has no cure, as this is not true. Type 2 diabetes is not terminal; you don't have to live with it forever! Nearly 100 percent of type 2diabetics can be successfully treated -- eliminating the symptoms of diabetes, or the high risk of developing health complications -- if you are willing to implement the lifestyle changes discussed below. These same changes will also drastically reduce your risk of the disease, so you can avoid developing it in the first place.
Dr. Mercola's methods are not supported by the American Medical Association and I might add have not been proven by scientific method. I think it's dangerous to lead people to believe that diabetes can be cured. It can be successfully managed and diet and exercise play a critical role, but it should be monitored by your endocrinologist or primary physician. I am not against holistic medicine as long as it is used in conjunction with standard medical practice.

Last edited by vabeachgirlNYC; 10-14-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: link removed
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 PM
FitDay Member

Each person should do extensive research and make a decision as to what's best for their health. MD's are trained to give out a pill for everything and in my opinion as a Nurse we live in a "pill happy and quick fix society". I feel a lot of diseases can be prevented , reversed and slow down if we would get back to the basics of health, nutrition and exercise. That is my opinion and my opinion only !!! Have a great day.

“The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition.” ~Thomas Edison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.