Vegetarian TVP Tacos
Vegetarian TVP Tacos
Yield about 10 ounces or about 3.5 servings at 6 tablespoons each
1 cup water
1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
1 tablespoon soy sauce (I use Bragg Liquid Aminos)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 1/2 -3 tablespoons Southwest Seasoning (recipe below) OR 1/2 package taco seasoning
2 oz. diced green pepper
1/4 cup diced tomatoes OR salsa of choice
flour tortillas or taco shells of choice
optional toppings such as more tomatoes or salsa, lettuce, beans, sour cream.
1. In a small skillet, bring the water to a boil, add the TVP, stir well, and allow to stand covered for 2-3 minutes.
2. In a small pan or in the microwave cook the green pepper in a small amount of water for a couple minutes until tender. Save the water for optional thinning of the taco mixture.
3. Add soy sauce, oil, Southwest or taco seasoning, green peppers and tomatoes, stirring well.
4. If desired thin the mixture with water in which green peppers were added.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Heat through and serve in your tortilla or taco shell of choice with optional toppings.
Approximate nutrition facts for entire recipe of filling only, using Southwest seasoning blend and tomatoes--no tortilla, taco shell, or optional toppings:
Note: recipe makes about 3 1/2 servings of 6 tablespoons or 2.8 oz. each
Entire recipe: 541 calories; 16.2g fat; 2.4g sat fat; 2.4g poly fat; 11.1g mono fat, 46.5g carbs; 20.3g fiber; 54.4g protein; 2058.5mg sodium, zero cholesterol
Southwest Seasoning Blend
1 tablespoon garlic powder
3/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 teaspoon cilantro
Mix well--store in tightly covered container.
makes 3 tablespoons and 3/8 teaspoon
Nutrition facts per TEASPOON: 6 calories, .28g fat; .03g sat fat; .03g poly fat; .01g mono fat; 1.7mg sodium; 1.1g carbs, .26g fiber; .32g protein
I just bought some TVP today (Bob's Red Mill) and I was wondering what to make - now I know!
Kathy, that's the brand of TVP I use. :)
|All times are GMT. The time now is 06:58 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2