FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   Made Over Tuna Casserole (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/10801-made-over-tuna-casserole.html)

JediMindTricks 03-24-2014 07:25 PM

Made Over Tuna Casserole

1 Attachment(s)
This Tuna Casserole is made over by eliminating the pasta and replacing it with zucchini and Mexican squash.

I used a spiralizer (Google vegetable spiralizer) to make my squash into curly Q spaghetti. If you don't have a spiralizer I'm sure it would work just as well to finely julienne the squash, skin and all.

For 4 servings I would suggest 2 zucchini and 1 Mexican squash (if you can't find Mexican squash---I found mine at Sprout's---just do more zucchini).

In a bowl mix together:
* 2 small cans Cream of Mushroom soup
* 1 can milk of your choice (I used 1%)
* 2 small cans drained tuna (packed in water, not oil), flake it with a fork.
* 1 C shredded cheese of your choice. I usually use an Italian blend or Colby Jack
* 1 C peas
* 1/4 C dried minced onions
* Salt and Pepper to taste

Stir it up. Spray a baking dish with pan spray, put the casserole in the oven and bake at 400F for about 25 minutes or until bubbly.

When I made mine tonight, I was making a single serving, so I'm a little bit guessing on the amounts of everything. If you want, (but beware of the calories) for some crunch and extra onion flavor, top with a bit of french fried onions that you get in the vegetable section of the grocery store (I did! Love those things!).

Approx. Nutritional Information (per svg, makes 4):
346 calories, 17.8g fat, 7.6g sat fat, 61.7mg chol, 1575mg sodium, 297mg potassium, 21g carb, 4.7g fiber, 21.8g protein. Calories can be reduced by using 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, skim milk or almond milk, and reduced fat cheese. 98% fat free soup and reduced fat cheese will also reduce sodium some.

I hope you like it as much as I did!

lildebbieg 03-25-2014 01:18 AM

Interesting! What were the amounts and what were the nutrition counts for the single serving dish you made?

JediMindTricks 03-25-2014 01:38 AM

Debbie, this recipe is for 4 servings. I'll have to figure out the nutritional info, but I've got a busy morning, so I'll do that a little later.

JediMindTricks 03-25-2014 05:26 AM

Debbie, it's hard to say exactly how much I used in the single serving. I mixed up a great big batch for my whole family, most of which I added noodles to. I took 2 cups of the soup mixture out for my zucchini noodles before I added the pasta. So I'm estimating how much it would take to make a recipe for 4, which then you can figure from there if you only wanted to do one. Or make the whole thing and freeze what you don't use.

It may take a smidge of trial and error. My big batch would have fed about 7 people and I used 1 large can of soup and 2/3 large can of milk. Making a smaller batch would just be a matter of getting the consistency of soup you like and enough to cover the zucchini the way you like. So a lot of it is personal preference I guess. But I think my guesstimates in the recipe I wrote here would be pretty close to what it would take to serve 4. If you try it and I'm way off base, let me know and I can adjust it.

lildebbieg 03-25-2014 11:25 AM

Thanks Jenai :). I would be the only one in the house that would try this which is why I wanted to make 1 serving. If I ever give it a shot, I'll let you know how it turns out!

calicafe 05-09-2014 07:00 PM

Interesting awesome post..recipe sounds tasty,..thanks for share :D