Notices

Hungry Girl Flatout Breads

Old 02-26-2014, 07:34 AM
FitDay Member

Default Hungry Girl Flatout Breads

I just found the new Hungry Girl Flatouts at the Walmart deli today, and I got 2 types from the wide variety. I got the Original Foldit Rosemary & Olive Oil and I got the Artisan Thin Crust Pizza in Traditional White. I just ate a Foldit for lunch. It is a very good size...I am stuffed with one. It is only 100 calories like some other "light" breads, but it is far from it. It is thick and substantial enough that it would hold a burger if you wanted it to. The one I got has 20g carb, 3g fiber and 6g protein. It can be grilled or put in the oven too.

I also got the Artisan Pizza Bread in white. It is big for 140 calories, 27g carb, 3g fiber and 7g protein. Imagine how many calories and carbs you would save by making of these for yourself on pizza night. I've got ideas of a white pizza with cheeses, chicken, caramelized onions, mushrooms and maybe some pesto or something. Oh, yum! That sounds great to me. And I can eat it completely guilt fee and I know I will get totally full and satisfied.

They have other varieties that have less calories, more fiber and protein and less carbs, too, like the whole wheat with flax.

I highly recommend these! They don't feel like eating "light" bread. I am full and feel like I ate a big no-no. Check them out and find out where to get them in your area at flatoutbread.com. I found mine in the deli department, not with the other breads.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 AM
FitDay Member

Hi Jedi - thanks for the review and recommendation but unfortunately these aren't available in my province. Next time I travel south of the border I'll have to check the Walmart there to see if they have them
Old 03-05-2014, 02:33 AM
FitDay Member

Wow, these flatbreads are so yummy! I found them in Walmart in the deli department as Jedi said. So far I've tried the Light Italian Herb and the Hungry Girl 100% Whole Wheat with Flax. I still love my low carb tortillas, but this is real bread and a welcome change.

I adapted the recipe at http://www.flatoutbread.com/category/recipes/page/4/ to use less egg substitute, to let the bread soak in the mixture for a few minutes, and to turn the French toast with a spatula instead of covering the skillet with a lid.

Here's my adaption:

French Toast using Flatout Hungry Girl 100% Whole Wheat with Flax Foldit
BUT you could use your Flatout flatbread of choice

This is not as fluffy as regular French toast, but it is delicious.

Note: for the filling I used sugar free apricot preserves sandwiched between the two halves, but that is not included in the nutrition facts. Apple, berries, peanut butter, or sugar free syrup could also be used as fillings or toppings.

Ingredients:
1 Flatout Hungry Girl 100% Whole Wheat with Flax Foldit OR Flatout Flatbread of choice
1/2 cup zero cholesterol egg substitute
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
artificial sweetener (OPTIONAL)--1/2 packet or equivalent of one teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon healthful margarine such as Smart Balance OR non-stick cooking spray

Directions:
1. Mix together the egg, cinnamon, vanilla,and optional sweetener
2. If using the Foldit flatbread, tear in half. Dredge each half in the egg mixture and leave to soak for 5 minutes, turning after 2 1/2 minutes to evenly soak up egg mixture.
3. Meanwhile preheat skillet on medium low heat and add the margarine or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
4. Pour the excess egg mixture (in which the flatbread is soaking) into the skillet.
5. When the eggs start to set, add the flatbread and press down slightly so some of the egg mixture comes on top. Scoop any excess egg mixture (in the skillet around the sides of the flatbread) onto the top of the bread. When bottom is set to your satisfaction, use a spatula to turn it over to finish cooking on the other side.
6. Enjoy.

Nutrition facts for entire recipe, but not including any fillings or toppings are approximately:
Calories 185; total fat 1.8g; sat fat 3g and 15% of total calories; poly fat .7g; mono fat .5g; cholesterol zero; total carbs 19.4g; fiber 8.2g; net carbs 11.2g; protein 19.1g
Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 AM
FitDay Member

Mern, I'm so glad you are enjoying the flatbreads. This recipe sounds great! I didn't even think to use it for french toast. I'm going to try that probably on a weekend morning. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 AM
FitDay Member

I loved my flatout bread pizza last night. I found several different varieties in my grocery store yesterday. I ended up getting the low cal/carb italian herb for sandwiches and then I got the pizza one.

Last night I made the pizza with healthy choice spaghetti sauce, low skim mozz, grilled peppers, onions, & mushrooms. Topped with some cut cherry tomatoes. It was yummy and hit the spot.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:50 AM
FitDay Member

Boohoo....I wish we had these flat breads in Canada! It's astonishing the variety of low fat/carb/cal stuff you can by states side, but it's not available in Canada. I wonder why our version of the FDA doesn't allow these products to be sold in Canada? Libby...Mary...do you know why?
Old 03-12-2014, 11:31 AM
FitDay Member

Debbie, the store locator said that they are available in Alberta & Saskatchewan, and will be coming to other provinces soon. I hope they come near you soon!
Old 03-13-2014, 09:12 AM
FitDay Member

I've tried a couple of snacks that I like with the flatout bread. I cut one of the sandwich flatout breads in half & then half again and toast it to make a "cracker". Then I've put tuna salad on top of a couple for some protein snack.

Also- I've incorporated this shrimp protein salad on top of the flatout "crackers"--- yummy!!! Here's the shrimp salad recipe-- Shrimp Stack Recipe - Health.com
Old 03-13-2014, 09:32 AM
FitDay Member

Do you know what else? You can cut these flatouts into strips and make "chips" when you toast them. And then with some salsa??? mmmmm mmm mmm
Old 03-13-2014, 05:36 PM
FitDay Member

This is so nice! I will try it. Thank you for such a nice recommendation here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.