FitDay Discussion Boards

FitDay Discussion Boards (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/)
-   Food talk (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/)
-   -   snack tips please (https://www.fitday.com/fitness/forums/food-talk/10002-snack-tips-please.html)

Ey3z 08-14-2013 02:02 AM

Draw your attention here please!

HELLOOO PEOPLE OF THE FITNESS WORLD :D

I am a person who loves snack time ( healthy snacks that is). Since my turn around to make more healthirer choices, I have found myself constantly searching for healthier snacks, because chips and other bad sweets ARE NOT my friends anymore. If anyone has any ideas PLEASE send them this way to me. I do thank you!!!:D

Also, does anyone know what you can pair plain, regular popcorn with?

Ey3z 08-14-2013 07:39 AM

No person has any ideas to share? Anyone?:confused:

Kathy13118 08-14-2013 10:21 PM

You can buy some very juicy fruits (fresh and whole), peel them, slice or dice them and mix them with plain non-fat yogurt. Kind of a parfait. If it's not sweet enough, add a little Splenda. Count the calories so you get an idea of what you are eating.

Or - if savory is your thing - chop some olives in with some non-fat feta cheese. Roll it up in crustless slices of whole grain bread. If it's not tasty enough as is, then dip it in a small amount of olive oil flavored with herbs, salt and garlic. Again, count the calories.

Or - use a mandoline and slice some potatoes really thin. Spray with canola oil. Bake at high heat, turning once. Then, once they start to brown, take the pan out and stand the slices on end (tricky, but try it) and warm on low oven heat for as long as it takes to get them stiffened up. Oil will drain off, the potatoes should be crisper. With salt, they are like 'baked' chips you buy in a bag, but will taste fresher and be cheaper.

Or - pop some low-fat microwave popcorn and sprinkle with herbs and salt. I like nutritional yeast (Bragg's brand is good, at Whole Foods) sprinkled on my popcorn. It DOES taste like cheese.

sw07 08-15-2013 04:53 AM

I like these to snack on:
http://www.anniechun.com/sites/uploa...ks.preview.jpg
Wasabi Seaweed Snacks | Annie Chuns

Kathy13118 08-15-2013 07:13 AM

I'll second that!

Very crunchy, salty, savory! Very low in calories.

I have bought them at Trader Joe's. You can also get them on Amazon.com Grocery if you're in the U.S.

djwayne 08-17-2013 12:08 PM

Make up your own trail mix with stuff you like, like oatmeal, raisins, nuts, whole wheat pretzels, cereals...you'll be surprised and you'll have fun dreaming up new stuff to put into your custom made trail mix.

Ey3z 08-18-2013 11:14 PM

Cool, thanks! I've thought about using oatmeal before, but then I disregard that idea.:o

djwayne 08-22-2013 03:13 PM

Make up a vegan pizza using a pre-made whole wheat crust, pizza sauce, green and red peppers onions, mushrooms, dairy free cheese, cook it for 8-12 minutes let it cool then put it in the frig and let it get cold and enjoy cold pizza snacks later !! It takes a little effort but it's soooo worth it.

djwayne 08-23-2013 03:06 AM

Quarter up a cantaloupe, throw out the seeds, take off the skin, and then dice it into bite size pieces. Put it into a bowl, then add some grapes, and enjoy !!

Mern 09-07-2013 04:40 AM

This tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup if your tortilla is very soft:

Spread two teaspoons peanut butter on a low carb tortilla, sprinkle with a packet of artificial sweetener and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. Roll up and enjoy.

Mern 09-07-2013 04:43 AM

Egg and Turkey Sausage Wrap or Burrito:

Microwave zero cholesterol egg substitute as you would scrambled eggs.

Microwave turkey sausage (Jimmy Dean makes pre-cooked links)

Roll up in a soft tomato basil or plain flour tortilla.

marteenhook 10-01-2013 07:11 PM

Make veg pizza with lots of vegetable. Then add some spices and cheese.. and enjoy a homemade yummyy pizza.

TomBe 10-01-2013 08:24 PM

I can recommend pita bread with mozzarella, tomatoes and olive oil baked several minutes. Easy and delicious!

davidjackson01 10-16-2013 04:31 PM

Create chicken pizza with lots of vegetable and chicken. Then put in some butter and cheese.

MissClara 02-20-2014 09:59 PM

i like your snack Kathy13118 , i am doing the same with the fruits and yogurt

irishdancer828 03-24-2014 09:13 AM

Snacking is my big thing too! Honestly, if I let myself, I'd just snack all day... ;)

However, I can enjoy some really healthy -- and tasty snacks throughout the day, in moderation of course.

Here's some (SCD legal) suggestions...

Fruit - favorites: apples, grapes, or frozen blueberries
Nuts - favorites: almonds or pecans.
Cheese - favorites: extra sharp cheddar, provolone, or if I'm feeling gourmet, bit of pecorino.
Veggies - favorites: celery, carrots, pickles, or olives.
A slice of proscuitto.
Half of a Larabar - favorite: cherry pie.

Hope these were helpful! Happy snacking! :cool:

Rubystars 04-11-2014 05:28 PM

Get those tiny tomatoes and wash them and eat them.

You could also slice up bigger tomatoes and some cucumbers, salt and pepper them, then eat them that way.

Baby carrots are good too.

calicafe 04-23-2014 05:19 PM

Constitute your trail mixture using products you like, including helping, raisins, nuts, whole wheat pretzels, cereals... you will end up shocked and you'll enjoy the fun musing about it upwards brand new products to set straight into your customized trail mixture.

Viniaschidamini 04-25-2014 06:38 PM

The word snack reminds me something tasty but not that healthy food for a quick lunch! But that's not all of it. You can make some natural, veggi or fruity snack of your own. It will be as per your taste and health.

calicafe 04-27-2014 06:42 PM

Nobody possesses virtually any tricks to reveal?

Mern 05-01-2014 05:20 AM

This tip works for me: a snack combining fat and protein helps one feel full longer.

sfdonovan 05-01-2014 06:15 AM

I like 2 or 3 big Rold Gold Pretzel Rods As long as I don't cheat and have Marzetti's Ranch dip with the pretzel. :D Three of the rods are about 110 calories.

biggerfaster 05-04-2014 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Mern (Post 102473)
This tastes like a Reeses peanut butter cup if your tortilla is very soft:

Spread two teaspoons peanut butter on a low carb tortilla, sprinkle with a packet of artificial sweetener and a teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. Roll up and enjoy.

This. Sounds. Awesome.

JediMindTricks 05-05-2014 03:21 AM

pistachios. you get about 47 nuts for a single serving!!! 161 calories, 7.5 carbs, 3g fiber and 6g protein. healthy fats, too! On top of that, if you get them in the shell you spend time cracking the shells so they don't get eaten in 1 minute. You get to take your time and enjoy them.