Go Back  FitDay Discussion Boards > FITDAY FORUMS > FitDay Reports
Website misinformation: Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar >

Website misinformation: Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar

Community
Notices

Website misinformation: Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar

Old 04-09-2013, 01:36 AM
FitDay Member

Thumbs down Website misinformation: Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar

Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar

The article at: Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar / Nutrition / Healthy Eating mentions that bleach is used in the refinement of sugar, which is false. I've tried posting responses on the comments section, and it keeps getting deleted by, I assume, the moderator who seems to be hell bent on perpetuating this misinformation.

As a site skewed towards informing people, I would have hoped someone would at least do some background research before dispensing "advice".

Disappointed, but happy to be a member here anyway!

Regards
Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RawEffect
Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar

The article at: Myth or Fact: Brown Sugar is Better than White Sugar / Nutrition / Healthy Eating mentions that bleach is used in the refinement of sugar, which is false. I've tried posting responses on the comments section, and it keeps getting deleted by, I assume, the moderator who seems to be hell bent on perpetuating this misinformation.

As a site skewed towards informing people, I would have hoped someone would at least do some background research before dispensing "advice".

Disappointed, but happy to be a member here anyway!

Regards
Moderators aren't hell bent on perpetuating any misinformation. The moderators don't remove ANY comments in the articles that FitDay has. We don't have that power. I highly doubt that anyone is watching the articles, considering that the moderators are the ones that are actively policing this site.

Feel free to state your case as to why you feel that information is false. I'd like to hear it because I personally have always heard that it was "bleached". In fact I've always been told that it was bleached with animal bones, not sure how true that it, but that's what I've heard.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 AM
FitDay Member

All my comments on the matter have been removed from the article. A couple of times. In any event, the process involves sugar centrifuges and boiling in vacuums (the vacuum lowers the boiling point of the sugar sludge so as not to burn the product). Pure sugar is naturally white and requires no bleaching. Per sugar.org:

Is sugar chemically altered or bleached during processing?

No, sugar is not chemically altered or bleached during processing. The sugar in your sugar bowl is the same as the sucrose naturally present in the original sugar beet and sugar cane plants, and is also identical to the sucrose in other fruits and vegetables.

Pure sugar crystals are naturally colorless. No artificial bleaching or whitening is necessary. Molasses, which is naturally present in sugar beet and sugar cane and gives brown sugar its color, is removed from the sugar crystal with water and centrifuging. Carbon filters absorb any remaining colored plant materials.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Domino's uses bone in their bleaching process. Many other companies use bone too. Other bleaching processes are used as well to remove the color from granulated (white) sugar.

Though carbonated filters may contain the same chemicals that are also found in liquid bleach, I do not see where the article stated that "bleach" was used in the bleaching process. It said "will bleach the sugar to remove the molasses".

Bleaching is a process. The sun can "bleach" something, like a seashell, white.