Notices

Dont understand sodium levels

Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 PM
FitDay Member

Default Dont understand sodium levels

So I logged my food for the day and I was surprised to see that I had 2100mg of sodium. This didn't make sense so I went back through my food log and added up all of my sodium. I saw they were both under MG so I knew the amount measurement was the same. Most of my foods had 30-50mg of sodium I had one thing which was meat that had 400mg. Other than that I ate salad and fruit. Like I suspected after adding up everything up I had only had about 1000mg of sodium. I didn't eat any food high in sodium but the meat. So I knew something was off. I got alarmed because my RDA is only 1500 and its telling me I am way over when I didn't even have that much sodium.
And yes having to click on every item of food to add up my sodium was very tedious. And just in case I messed up I added it up 3 times manually!!

So how does this work? Does the number double for some unknown reason?

Last edited by sho420; 01-20-2013 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:34 AM
FitDay Member

So I logged an item that I had sitting right in front of me, it was something they had listed and none of the facts matched. calories, carbs, ect ect. So honestly i dont even know what to think. My sodium level is obviously incorrect, telling me I had double the sodium I actually had.
Anyone know why it does this? Or why it says there are vitamin B12 in foods that have none? Why does it say my sodium is 2100 when it was 1100? Is it doubling my sodium for some unknown reason?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM
FitDay Member

I am concerned with all the misinformation on this website. As someone who use to be vegan, I am flabbergasted when I log food and it claims that food has b12 when it doesn't. How can you go off their charts when the food you log isn't even nutritionally correct?

Last edited by sho420; 01-20-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sho420
So I logged an item that I had sitting right in front of me, it was something they had listed and none of the facts matched. calories, carbs, ect ect. So honestly i dont even know what to think. My sodium level is obviously incorrect, telling me I had double the sodium I actually had.
Anyone know why it does this? Or why it says there are vitamin B12 in foods that have none? Why does it say my sodium is 2100 when it was 1100? Is it doubling my sodium for some unknown reason?
What was the item?

A lot of vegan foods (tofu, soy products, etc.) are fortified with B 12. Most cereals are fortified with B 12 too.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Perhaps different brand names?

One thing I have noticed, and I acknowledge that the FD food database needs to be updated and has not been in a while (AFAIK) is that food labels change more often than you would think. Things I created as custom foods a year or two ago now are not accurate...and I entered it directly from the package...and need to be changed.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by vabeachgirlNYC
What was the item?

A lot of vegan foods (tofu, soy products, etc.) are fortified with B 12. Most cereals are fortified with B 12 too.
It wasn't any of those things.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by cjohnson728
Perhaps different brand names?

One thing I have noticed, and I acknowledge that the FD food database needs to be updated and has not been in a while (AFAIK) is that food labels change more often than you would think. Things I created as custom foods a year or two ago now are not accurate...and I entered it directly from the package...and need to be changed.
The thing is when I go to nutritional information I can manually add up my sodium. So a brand doesn't matter. Its not doing its own math correctly. Telling me I had 2200 sodium when I had 1100. I didn't create any customs foods and the sodium value is listed for me to see. If it had changed wouldn't it be updated?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what to tell you about the math; perhaps one of the tech people can answer that. You may want to post this in the feedback/help section, but first, do a search, because I want to say this has been brought up before but I can't recall where.

Originally Posted by sho420
If it had changed wouldn't it be updated?
I would hope, but the difference between that and being able to logistically put it into practice...updating all foods that change as soon as they change...would be difficult. I doubt the manufacturers send an email to FitDay to let them know they've made a change, if that is the case .
Old 04-10-2013, 03:17 AM
FitDay Member

Default Nutrition numbers STILL don't add up

I have been baffled by my nutritional profile recently, so I manually added my potassium, sodium, calcium and vitamin E. All four of them were different from the totals of the foods entered. Potassium, which should have been 12%, is 9%; sodium, which should have been 2%, is 4%; calcium, which should have been 33%, is 28%; vitamin E, which should have been 1%, is 2%.

I could understand if, for example, there was "rounding off"; however, there was sodium in only one item. It was listed in the item as 2%, but on my total nutrition as 4%. And Vitamin E, listed in the single item as 1% has become 2%.

Also, I could understand if the total nutrition tables were adjusted for my particular caloric requirements rather than the FDA standard of 2000 calories; however, that does not explain why some numbers go up, and others go down.

Could someone please explain to me?