Notices

"calories burned"

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM
FitDay Member

Question "calories burned"

Why are the "calories burned" so high? Even with someone who is sedentary...I thought most people burned an average of 2000 calories a day. Why does it say that my calories burned are almost 3000? Does it also add in sleeping hours?
Old 04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
FitDay Member

I log my sleep, it seems to make the numbers more reasonable compared to other sites I've used to calculate my metabolism. 2000 calories would be for a person of normal weight who isn't terribly active. If you are overweight your calories burned just sitting on the couch will be much higher. If your weight had been stable, you can enter in what you would have eaten on an average day before you started dieting and see if that is about equal to what FitDay says you burn.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

I am sure it varies depending on the stats you put in to FitDay. For example, at my age and size, it tells me I burned 1831 today, but I'm only 5'2". However, like Lizzy, I log in sleep and it gets me to the right balance of numbers.

You could try to find some other sites that estimate your calorie burn by Googling "how many calories do I burn a day" and plug in your info to see if it's a similar result. Here's one I like to use: Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
Old 04-15-2010, 02:26 PM
FitDay Member

Okay thanks guys! That really helped me out. I guess I was thinking they had a set amount of calories calculated for everyone. It makes a lot more sense to think about the stats I entered. ;-)