Notices

Calorie Q's?

Old 12-06-2011, 03:27 AM
FitDay Member

Default Calorie Q's?

I'm wondering, well noticing a lot about Calorie counting throughout the forum. I don't know much about calorie counting but I did notice that if I eat six brownies or so I reach my goal for the day.... Is there any foods that specifically help with calorie burning or is that only done through exercise? And let's just say I decided that six brownie per day diet was the path I chose to follow. It would hit my calorie count for the day but, I'm guessing I wouldn't lose weight. How do you guys do it? Where is the balance? Where is a good staring point? And how do you eat, three meals? Snacks?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mommywrites
And let's just say I decided that six brownie per day diet was the path I chose to follow.
I'm not sure if you're serious or not so I'll let someone else answer this one.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:21 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Ha ha, I'll bite (no pun intended). If you eat six 200 calorie brownies a day (and nothing else) and your daily calorie burn is 1700 calories you should, theoretically, and on average, lose one pound in a week. I won't say that the nutritional mix doesn't matter at all and I don't think it's a particularly healthy idea, but I'd guess (like the guy who ate Hostess desserts) one coiuld lose weight that way.

Regards,

Michael
Old 12-06-2011, 06:04 AM
FitDay Member

Right...technically no matter what you are eating as long as you consume less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. I have to believe that different bodies are affected by different foods in different ways. (How many ways can you use the word different in one sentence?!) So being that brownies are high in fat, sugar, carbs etc. they may cause you to lose at a slower rate than a nutritionally balanced diet. JMO
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
FitDay Member

Is there any foods that specifically help with calorie burning or is that only done through exercise?
Let's just say that it boils down to "eating clean" along with calories in versus out/burned. But exercise plays a major role in losing weight so if you can, just do it.

Eating clean means your making healthy choices of the foods you eat, and you stay away from sugar, whites (bread, pasta, rice, etc), etc. These things are high in the glycemic index which will make your body store fat rather than burn it.

Sugars, Insulin Resistance & Glycemic Index

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-06-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
FitDay Member

Good call on the glycemic index, my doctor just suggested using that to help me make better eating decisions. However no one addressed the "how do you eat" part.... Is it best to just to eat 3 meals or include snacks? A time when to stop eating for the night?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by 01gt4.6
I'm not sure if you're serious or not so I'll let someone else answer this one.
Nope, just being hypothetical, LOL.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:30 AM
FitDay Member

Good call on the glycemic index, my doctor just suggested using that to help me make better eating decisions. However no one addressed the "how do you eat" part.... Is it best to just to eat 3 meals or include snacks? A time when to stop eating for the night?
My opinion on this is yes, make sure you have your 3 meals a day AND include healthy snacks. I believe breakfast is very important. Studies have shown that it gears up your metabolism and also helps you eat less throughout the day. A breakfast with good protein is suggested. I believe low fat yogurt cannot be beat. Check out the forum tags for "breakfast".

Snacks should always be healthy. Snacks are good because they help keep your metabolism going. Lots of "healthly snacks" are already suggested in our forum tags.

Some people say don't eat after a certain time of night. I always have popcorn (air popped) every night an hour or two before bedtime. It helps me not go to bed hungry and is very healthy. I never put a strict limit on when to stop eating for the day, because it never works out time-wise, although I do avoid eating anything heavy too close to bedtime. I'll eat a snack if I'm a bit hungry so I'll never go to bed hungry, which is the worst.

Last edited by VitoVino; 12-07-2011 at 01:33 AM.