Notices

Activities - Only 84 Calories Burned?

Old 07-05-2010, 05:03 PM
FitDay Member

Default Activities - Only 84 Calories Burned?

So, I'm very new to Fitday, but I like all that it offers. I am however disappointed that for me a 41 year old female, weighing 265 only burns 84 calories during a 22 minute, mile long walk?

I'm I doing something wrong, or is that really all the calories that are burned during that time?

Signed, Hoping not.

307/265/150
Old 07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
FitDay Member

are you sure you have your speeds correct?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 AM
FitDay Member

unfortunately, walking doesn't burn very many calories. But it's still great for you! Just keep adding distance and you'll get that calorie burn up!
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 AM
FitDay Member

I hate to throw this at you, but the less you weigh the less that walk will burn. I started out close to your weight and worked out maybe 30-40 minutes/day. Now I have to workout 2-3 times that just to get the same burn. But seriously it's all worth it. Oh, and if you're looking for a really good burning exercise you might try the elliptical, burns like 7-12 calories/minute.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:19 AM
FitDay Member

Walking does burn fewer calories than jogging or running.

But please don't give up. Just increase your walk 10 minutes every week. You'll notice that you can go on longer as your body gets stronger. I read somewhere that if you want to maintain your weight walk 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. For weight loss it's 45 minutes. I just throw in the extra 15 (totaling 1 hour) as a bonus (extra credit). Then you can try to add a little speed (speed walking) and that will help burn more calories in the same amount of time as regular walking. Before you know it, you'll be losing weight in no time.

I currently speed walk 8 miles in 1 hour and 15 minutes. At 140 LBS I'm burning over 700 calories.

Slowly train your body into fitness mode.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-18-2010, 05:44 PM
FitDay Member

Just my 2 cents here... I input your weight, the time you said you walked for (22min) and the speed at 3mph (a tiny bit faster than what you were going) using this site's (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc) activity calculator, and that number cruncher said you burned 192 calories.
I do understand that age and BMR play a big part in these numbers, but I think FitDay's estimates for calories burned during exercise are woefully inaccurate. I'm sure there are plenty who'd disagree, but just my take given my experience raising eyebrows at FitDay's calculations.
Happy walkin'.