FitDay useful companion sites >

FitDay useful companion sites

Community
Notices

FitDay useful companion sites

Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 AM
FitDay Member

Lightbulb FitDay useful companion sites

I've been using FitDay for many years and although I do agree it is lacking in some areas, there are tons of useful data it provides.

I have a few suggestions that I'd like to share with FitDay users. These are tools I use in conjunction with FitDay and they make my nutrition tracking more complete.

If you want to input a custom food from a recipe you made, I'd like to suggest you use SparkRecipes' Recipe Calculator (Recipe Calculator). There are three simple steps. 1) Add each ingredient first by searching their database, 2) enter the quantity of the ingredient, 3) enter the number of servings your recipe will yield, then voila! You'll have a complete nutrition profile (macro and micro). Enter this info into FitDay as a custom food and name it as the recipe's title for easy lookup next time you prepare that meal.

Another useful companion site I use when creating custom foods on FitDay is The World's Healthiest Foods (http://whfoods.org). They provide an in-depth nutrient analysis of most fruit, grains, nuts, veggies, legumes, and meat that don't come packaged with a nutrition label.

And lastly, Since I use FitDay's "Nutrition as Percent RDA" report frequently to determine which nutrients I'm lacking on any given week, I go to National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements (http://ods.od.nih.gov) to figure out which foods are high in the particular nutrient I may be lacking that week. Then I include that/those food(s) in my diet over the next few days in an attempt to reach my recommended daily intake (averaged on FitDay). Not only does this site give you a list of foods rich in that nutrient listed by quantity (high to low), it also provides a plethora of other useful data (recommended intakes, deficiency symptoms, health, nutrient overdose, interactions with medications, and other info).

I hope this info helps you get the most use out of FitDay! Best of luck to you and your health!
Old 06-16-2010, 07:22 AM
FitDay Premium Member

Default Thanks!

Excellent companions!
Old 06-16-2010, 10:51 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the input! Great suggestions for sure!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:24 PM
FitDay Member

Thanks for the info. One of my favorite sites is Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site.. This is where I learned about Fitday. There is workout, nutrition, and transformation stories.
Old 06-23-2010, 11:45 AM
FitDay Member

Terrific info - thank you!
Old 07-05-2010, 11:51 AM
FitDay Member

When looking for activies I suggest: The Most Accurate Calories Burned Estimator
Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 AM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by dedicatedtohealth
I've been using FitDay for many years and although I do agree it is lacking in some areas, there are tons of useful data it provides.

I have a few suggestions that I'd like to share with FitDay users. These are tools I use in conjunction with FitDay and they make my nutrition tracking more complete.

If you want to input a custom food from a recipe you made, I'd like to suggest you use SparkRecipes' Recipe Calculator (Recipe Calculator). There are three simple steps. 1) Add each ingredient first by searching their database, 2) enter the quantity of the ingredient, 3) enter the number of servings your recipe will yield, then voila! You'll have a complete nutrition profile (macro and micro). Enter this info into FitDay as a custom food and name it as the recipe's title for easy lookup next time you prepare that meal.

Another useful companion site I use when creating custom foods on FitDay is The World's Healthiest Foods (The World's Healthiest Foods). They provide an in-depth nutrient analysis of most fruit, grains, nuts, veggies, legumes, and meat that don't come packaged with a nutrition label.

And lastly, Since I use FitDay's "Nutrition as Percent RDA" report frequently to determine which nutrients I'm lacking on any given week, I go to National Institutes of Health Office of Dietary Supplements (Office of Dietary Supplements - HOME) to figure out which foods are high in the particular nutrient I may be lacking that week. Then I include that/those food(s) in my diet over the next few days in an attempt to reach my recommended daily intake (averaged on FitDay). Not only does this site give you a list of foods rich in that nutrient listed by quantity (high to low), it also provides a plethora of other useful data (recommended intakes, deficiency symptoms, health, nutrient overdose, interactions with medications, and other info).

I hope this info helps you get the most use out of FitDay! Best of luck to you and your health!
I just joined this site and you just adressed my first complaint - the charts are great, but they don't give you any information on how to improve.

There is zero info on where to get nutrients you are lacking. Also, it's great that I can see what my fat-carb-protein balance is, but it doesn't tell me if it is good or bad - I would appreciate a little pop up that says 'Oops! You're not getting enough fat in your diet.'

Any way we can we communicate this to the administrators?
Old 07-07-2010, 02:04 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by Michellebelle_05
When looking for activies I suggest: The Most Accurate Calories Burned Estimator
Yes! I discovered that site last week when I was trying to find out how many calories I burned at a Pilates class I took. Thanks for replying and sharing!

I started walking a lot (with my overweight dog) and I use this site to determine speed (necessary to determine calories burned):
Speed Distance Time Calculators

I plan my walking routes using Google maps (walking feature) so I have a preplanned distance which is necessary to determine walking speed.

Lastly, I got a simple pedometer several weeks ago so I use this site to determine total miles walked per day:
Walk4Life - Steps to Miles Calculator

I hope everyone accomplishes their goals!
Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
FitDay Member

Originally Posted by littlemac27
I just joined this site and you just adressed my first complaint - the charts are great, but they don't give you any information on how to improve.

There is zero info on where to get nutrients you are lacking. Also, it's great that I can see what my fat-carb-protein balance is, but it doesn't tell me if it is good or bad - I would appreciate a little pop up that says 'Oops! You're not getting enough fat in your diet.'

Any way we can we communicate this to the administrators?
Hey there, welcome to FitDay. Unfortunately, you won't get any replies from FitDay administrators. I've tried emailing them directly and also by using the website email form. I hear from other FitDay members that the paying members don't get support either so I'm going to stick with the free site for now.

As far as feedback on your nutrition, you're on your own. You're going to have to be proactive in looking for that info. I suggest creating a custom nutrition budget (Reports -> Nutrition Budget -> scroll down then click Setup your Nutrient Goals). Once that's entered, you can track your daily intake in the daily Foods tab. Scroll down past your daily food log and click Custom Nutrition Goal for a mini-report. There you can see if you're meeting or exceeding your custom goal for each nutrient.

If you don't know what your nutrient intake should be, check out these comprehensive calculators:

Calories: Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs
Macro nutrients: Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator

OR instead of custom goals you can use the Recommended Daily Allowance figures. Click the Nutrition tab (below your daily food log) and you get instant feedback whether you're meeting your recommended intake or not. The best feature of this mini-report is that the nutrients that aren't meeting the RDA are highlighted in red so it's easier to find.

I wish you much success in completing your goals.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 AM
FitDay Member

Here's one that I use to map out my running, cycling and walking routes. It also has routes that others have entered so you might not have to map your own, or if you are out of town, you can see where a good run or walk might be. It also gives a calorie burned estimate, but I haven't found it much different than FitDay.

Running Routes - WalkJogRun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.